SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wireweiners

School girl crush How to handle (long)

wireweiners
16 years ago

My DD is 10 1/2 and in the 5th grade. Lately all she has been talking about is a little boy named "Cody". It's Cody this and Cody that and Cody's "hot", etc, etc. I haven't been making a big deal about it, joking about when do we start shopping for wedding dresses, how can you be "going together" when neither one of you can drive and so forth. I also talked seriously to her about the best way to get a boy to like you is to be yourself and that its not a good idea to throw yourself at a boy.

Yesterday I went to the school to work with her GT group on a project. She ran up to me in the hall and said "Cody likes me!" I said that's nice and went in the classroom and started getting my team of girls settled and working on their project. DD then said, "Cody's hot!" I told her I didn't care if he was hot, cold or lukewarm, she was there to work on her project and to get busy. Her teacher then chimed in and told DD that she was tired of hearing about Cody and she was glad that I had said something about it. I talked with the teacher at length after the project period because it seemed like this crush was getting a little out of hand. It seems she is making something of a fool out of herself over this boy. Chasing him around, asking him to hug her, telling everyone he's her boyfriend, etc. I talked with DD about it on the way home telling her that boys don't like or respect girls that throw themselves at them, that she was most likely embarrassing him, and she was making herself look silly. I told her that I didn't want her asking this boy for any more hugs, don't write his name on her hand and to treat him like her other friends. She has had boyfriends before but they were just friends. The little boys all like her because she is a tomboy, athletic and just as rough and tumble as they are. She's an only child, I'm a single parents (she's adopted) and I'm not sure how to handle this. I don't want to make too big of a deal out of it but I don't want her to make a fool of herself either. Ugh, kids grow up too fast nowdays.

Comments (13)