SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hackwriter

What kind of countertop/flooring for a minor kitchen update?

hackwriter
13 years ago

I've posted elsewhere about my proposed wall o'cabinets, but I need kibitzers to help me decide on countertop and flooring.

Money is an issue; my spouse lost his job in January and is over 50 so is unlikely to find another one. But I want to do this in such a way that a) I can live with it; and b) I don't have to rip it all out when I sell (hopefully in about 10 years).

The cabinets are refaced. I did it myself with honey oak wood veneer and doors (that was the nicest available at the time; I would choose differently if I were doing it again), and if I do say so myself, it looks good. I just couldn't see replacing good, solid, 3/4" pine cabinets that are still structurally sound with particleboard cabinets.

So what to do about countertops. My husband is sloppy, he doesn't wipe up after spills, so stain resistance is a factor. Low maintenance is a plus. So is price. Here's my thinking:

- Quartz is the logical choice, but it is $$$ and I'm not nuts about most of the color selections.

- Don't like stainless steel

- Butcher block stains and would make for an awful lot of wood in this kitchen.

- Granite is also pricey (It would be around $1800 with sink), requires sealing, but looks best

- Some of the higher-end laminates look nice, are easy to clean, but they are still laminates, and if you get a nicer edge treatment, the price starts going up a lot. The low-end, pre-formed laminates don't look very good.

Now to flooring: Right now there is 1970's yellow geometric sheet vinyl on it, so whatever we put down will be over 1/4" plywood placed right over it. I don't want to move it because of asbestos concerns.

My thoughts on flooring:

- Hardwood is out; too expensive, doesn't take water spills well (see sloppy husband, above).

- Don't want stone/tile; it's too hard and cold and anything you drop on it breaks.

- Laminate is a possibility but not sure whether to pick a wood grain that matches/contrasts with the cabinet, or a stone look.

- The new vinyl planks look really good, are inexpensive and resilient, easy to clean, but it is still vinyl.

- Linoleum is green, supposedly easy to clean, it's what would have been used in an arts & crafts kitchen, but I'm not nuts about the look.

- Bamboo?

Whatever I do, a future owner will probably rip it out and do a new kitchen by the time I sell (though you never know what could happen in 10 years...).

So all you decorators and kibitzers, I'd love to hear your suggestions!

Comments (7)