SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nostalgicfarm

Living Room Paint Suggestions..No Tans or White

nostalgicfarm
13 years ago

I am looking to paint my living room and looking for color suggestions. The current color is Sherwin Williams Latte, which I was using as a base for 3 other faux finish options that didn't pan out. DH HATES tans/whites and much prefers color. Our kitchen color for 3 years that we love in the adjacent room is BM Hampshire Grey.

Originally I wanted a "bronze" faux finish, but could never come up with great colors for that. I am currently thinking a rust, like a muted burgandy. The couch is an olivey green and the chairs are an olive base with gold/burgandy. I like colors with a lot of depth but not too bright! I don't don't like pastels either. The room has a 1 1/2 inch raised border trim that is currently painted the same latter. Outside of that is about 9 inches all around that is currently painted white...which I would NOT mind changing one bit. I also wouldn't mind having the 1 1/2 inch border a different color or a darker shade of the main color?

Please let me know any suggestions you all have!

Thanks!!!

CHAIRS

{{!gwi}}

Comments (9)

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    13 years ago

My dining room is a rust red, which is a warmer color than burgundy, which has cool tones in it, and I can really see your room with that same color. It's deep but not loud, and art looks great against it. My adjoining living room has rust touches in the pillows, curtains and other accessories and it's a very friendly and warm look. The red color in your chair may be close to what I'm talking about, although it's difficult to tell on a computer.

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Here are a few colors that come to my mind when I see
    your space. I think could work beautifully.
    ~boxerpups

Raisin Torte BM

Chili Pepper BM

Chili Pepper BM

Paprika Portola Paints

Caliente Benjamin Moore

Warm Sienna BM

• nostalgicfarm
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Boxerpups...thanks foe those pics...none of those colors are in my BM colordeck from 3 years ago...looks like I will have to scour BM.

Ingrid...do you recall the color you used?

Also, if I painted the main section one of these rusty/burgundy colors, what would everyone do around the white border? I could then take my latte and paint that around the edge and paint the 1 1/2" trim white???? Not sure if I would like that or not, but it would match what they did in the first Raisin Torte pic. Again, I am not married to the idea, so if you think it sounds Terrible, please advise me against it :)
    Any other colors you love in the rust/burgundy family or any other colors(except whites and tans) that you really think I should consider. If I was married to an idea, I would've already done it in the 3 years we have been here!!! Tell me if something sounds terrible.
    Also, I can't go too pink, because both my girl's room are in BM Tearoom along with our room which WAS DD1 before she moved rooms. About 40% of our 2 floors are in Tearoom in different bases!!!! Gotta paint the living room before our room though!!

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

I would paint the panel detail on the walls as "trim" and both sides of that trim the wall color (into the corners). One of the rosy-terra cotta shades from your fireplace brick could look very nice. I can't suggest a specific color, you will have to see how the current swatches look in your room.

• nostalgicfarm
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hmmm...the thought of painting the "wall portions" the same color and the 1 1/2" trim white hadn't even occurred to me as a possibility. That is the sort of creative ideas I am on here for :) Please more suggestions and opinions like this!!!

• pheath
    13 years ago

I came very close to using Audubon Russet, BM. It is a gorgeous color, color but not super dark. Good luck!

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    13 years ago

I had to have my paint custom mixed at HD since the original color I'd chosen turned out to be too rusty and I wanted more depth and a slightly more reddish tone. I used Behr Premium Plus but if I had to do it over again would probably us HD's Ralph Lauren paint which I really liked when I painted two of my living room walls a soft gray. The formula we ended up with was:

(Headings)..........oz.....48.....96

F Red Oxide..........3.....30......0

L Raw Umber........0.....17......0

V Magenta............4.....11......1

The paints shown above are lovely but it strikes me that the ones that have darker and cooler shades might be more suitable for the formal rooms they're shown in rather than your somewhat more casual look.

My inclination would be to paint the baseboards and fireplace a warm white which would really set off the wall color.

I hope you'll take pictures after you've chosen your color and painted your room. Good luck!

• suero
    13 years ago

How about BM Crimson?

• nostalgicfarm
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It looks like everyone agrees that I need some sort of rust/red/burgundy...

I think I am hoping to find a soft or muted rust with more red tone than orange tone. I would love any more suggestions on what to do with the exterior (currently white) portion of the walls and the 1 1/2" trim piece...but I do REALLY like palimpsest' suggestion to paint that trim piece in white along with the outer section being the same as the inside. I can't believe that thought hadn't ever occurred to me!!! Any other suggestions for me to ponder would be greatly appreciated.