SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sherilynn_gw

question for experienced pros

sherilynn
16 years ago

We are considering buying a house that is 32 years old because it sits on waterfront property. The house is in shambles inside. No one has maintained or cared for this house in years. The lot is pathetic. The pool is a mess. There's trash, old appliances, etc...on the side of the house. I mean junk, junk, junk. The house is now owned by a bank and still has the garage full of crap. The driveway concrete is a mess from huge tree roots. There are downed trees all over the lot as well as so overgrown with bamboo, almost up to the house that a bush hog will have to go in there to cut the brush out, not to mention the labor intensive tree removal. EVERYTHING needs to be fixe in this house. NOTHING is a keeper or worth keeping. EVen the fire place is only about 24" wide and 18" high. It's utterly ridiculous. I've never seen anything like it.

The house reeks of mildew, from a skylight leak that has been fixed. They have four skylights with blinds between the panes that use to operate with a remote. The remote is lost and no one knows who made these skylights. Oh, and blinds are dry rotted.

The house has all carpeting ripped out. EVERY single bit of drywall, plumbing, electrical, appliance, light fixtures, and sheetrock would need to be replaced. There is NOTHING that could stay. Every single electrical outlet is black with dirt and grime. The ceiling was black from disgusting nasty dirt, but they painted over it. The former owners had big dogs and the husband had car parts all over this once lovely home. It is so trashed, but restored, it could be a beauty.

The house is the last lot on a canal in a very prime neighborhood. It is overgrown and just a mess. It would be a short sale with the bank, but we're torn at what to do.

If that was not the negative, here is the kicker: they are just finishing a six lane highway about 30 feet from the property line. ADd the sound of the traffic echoing off the water and you hear nothing but a roar if you were to sit outside by the pool.

Tell me, WHEN do you know if you should just gut the entire house or tear it all down? I hate the layout and it's been added onto in the back of the house. Do we walk away? Restore? or Completely rebuild from the ground up? It's a lovely neighborhood except for this eyesore.

Comments (15)