SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kitasei

replacing cedar roof with asphalt

kitasei
10 years ago

I am sadly replacing the cedar roof of my stone carriage house with GAF Timberline architectural shingles. The ceilings are vaulted with the exception of one area with a cold attic. The current roof is unvented (no ridge cap, no soffit vents). The roof has skylights and dormers, which make sealing it impossible, and little space for insulation in the rafters. I have three different proposals from roofers:
1) install continuous ridge vent and continuous soffit vent (custom made); insert raft-r-mate so that the insulation does not touch the sheathing.
2) install continuous ridge vent but no soffit.
3) install neither a ridge vent nor a soffit, and make determination about rest after opening up roof.
#1 is obviously much more expensive - as in more than double. #2 doesn't make sense to me. Curiously, I am most impressed with #3. He clearly understands all the principles of insulation and ventilation and studied the house closely before making his recommendation, which was that the rafters make adding more insulation impossible, and that a ridge vent invites new problems, like moisture and cold air. He says it would be far more cost efficient to use fans to circulate the air inside the vaulted space. My remaining concerns are whether we will have condensation on the roof - and what that really means. if it is just a 10% shorter life span for the shingles, is that really significant? Also, will replacing naturally breathing cedar with asphalt make the house much hotter in the summer? We do not have air conditioning. I live in the northeast, which had a temperature range of 100 degrees this past year! Thank you for helping me sort out these options, and any suggestions for things that can improve the effectiveness of these scenarios. At this point my head hurts.

Comments (12)