SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
becky_ca

Am I Wrong to Feel This Way?

becky_ca
21 years ago

I need to get some perspective on a problem.

Yesterday for Christmas I received photographs from my DH. That was all he gave anybody for Christmas, including his office staff. I thought it was a thoughtful gesture as he did spend quite a bit of time selecting frames, using the Kodak kiosk at Kinko's and selecting the photos from those he'd taken throughout the year (he's actually quite talented and has taken some wonderful pictures).

I also received a photograph for our anniversary, which I though was nice. I received photographs for my birthday a couple of weeks ago, one of which is a not too flattering pose of myself that my 7yo DS took. The other is a nice triple frame of beautiful Hawaiian flowers which I will hang with pride as soon as I can find some blank wall space.

Yesterday when I opened the first package I received yet another photograph. Okay. Package number two also contained a photograph. Okay. The third and final package contained another triple frame of three different prints of me, only one of which is remotely flattering.

I told my DH that my feelings were hurt that all I had recieved from him were photographs - that it kind of made me feel like one of the herd, and that as his wife I expected that he might put a little more thought and effort into a gift that was selected with me personally in mind. I guess not too surprisingly he became very upset and told me I was being ungrateful, that he had spent a lot of time selecting just the right (he felt) photos, etc. Just as a little background information - I selected three nice gifts for him that I thought he would use and enjoy: a lapdesk, a nice pair of slippers and a subscription to a diving magazine, as he's planning on becoming SCUBA certified next year.

He also made the statement that he didn't have much free time, which is only true up to the point where you realize that he has the time to nap every weekend afternoon, go to the gym and swim laps several times a week and go on hikes and bike rides with DS7 almost every weekend. In addition, he had both the day after Thanksgiving and December 13th off completely free of work.

So... Is it wrong of me to feel this way?

Comments (16)

Sponsored