SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vickevette

Best ever Inspiration Pic--help me 'mitigate the marble'

vickevette
12 years ago

This is my dream inspiration pic--

I love the cabinets, the color, the classic beauty, and yes, the marble! (Sorry I cannot seem to make the picture big when importing from photobucket.)

I am among the many on this site who love the look of marble, but fear the maintenance or fear they would not like "patina" once the marble is etched.

I have read every thread, here and elsewhere trying to decide whether or not I can live with marble, and I cannot seem to make a decision. One day I am confident that the kitchen will just not look the same without marble, and encouraged that most people who have it seem to like it, and the next day I feel certain that anything else is the right choice for functionality reasons!

I have never been a big fan of granite, and do not like the look of quartz. I have gotten samples of several marble-like Corians, and as much as I would use Torquay in a heartbeat in a contemporary kitchen, it just does not seem as if it would look right (not as "right" as the real thing, anyway) in a traditional setting.

One thing that I really want is a Calacatta backsplash, either slab or a mix of slab and large subways as is shown in the photo.

My kitchen, rather than being "L-shaped" like in the photo, will be rectangular, with a small 3' x 5' work island near the range. There will be a larger island in front of that, which will be mainly a sitting area. I am thinking of doing Calacatta on the large island, and feel okay with that, as it will not function so much as a work surface. On the smaller island, butcherblock is one option, or a dark, honed, non-marble stone.

For the perimeter countertops, I am thinking of using some kind of dark, honed, non-marble stone. Until I recently heard that honed Absolute Black granite showed fingerprints, I was thinking of using that. Another option may be honed Antique Brown. But I am not sure if the slight patterning in Antique Brown would make it too "busy" to go with the veining in the Calacatta marble on the backsplash and large island.

Do you think using a dark honed stone on the perimeter countertops would change the look much from that in the inspiration pic?--(Wish I could photoshop!)

I saw this kitchen in another thread (thanks Boxerpups!) where they used slate (I think) on the perimeter, with marble elsewhere, and I think it looks pretty good, though I did not think slate came in uniform solid colors and am not sure this is slate:

Another option may be soapstone, though I am not sure if that is always veined and would therefore conflict with the marble. (Also, if memory serves, soapstone has it's own set of maintenance issues...)

I need something that would be a soft brownish or graphite-to medium gray color, with a uniform texture.

Any opinions on whether or not you think darker counters would change the character of the kitchen much, what stone and surface texture to use for the perimeter counters, and whether butcher block in addition on the smaller island (being a 3rd countertop material) would be too much, or if I should use the same material on that as on the perimeter cabinets, would help me decide.

Thanks for any help/suggestions!

Comments (11)