SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
halfwaythere

how to turn polished nickel into brushed nickel, the hard way!

halfwaythere
11 years ago

I bought these beautiful island lights online at a great price and when they arrived I was so disappointed. My hardware is all brushed nickel, not to mention the stainless apron sink and stainless dishwasher, so these polished nickel lights just didn't look right at all. I was sure I ordered brushed nickel lighting but my email order conf said otherwise.... polished nickel :( There was a hefty restocking fee. I tried to use sand paper and steel wool on parts that wouldn't show but they didn't make a scratch! So off I went to the local machine shop to get advice. He recommended a tool, a drill attachment actually, called an abrasive ball. It's a red, plasticky scouring type of material. It's how he brushes stainless steel. Bought it, used it, love it. I beat the heck out of most of the surfaces with the ball and tore the rest of the material into small pieces and scrubbed by hand the rest of the parts the ball couldn't reach. By the 3rd light I was a pro! So if you ever wondered how it's done, that's how it's done! My fingers are worn to the bone :( My reno is soooooooo far behind, it kept me busy and sane for a few days. Now back to fighting with my slow as molasses GC.Here is a pic of the brushed fixture on the left and the untouched one on the right. It might not look as good in the pic but it's really pretty in person.

Comments (11)