SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tanama_gw

Railing/handrail for tiny winding stairs?

tanama
18 years ago

The house we're hoping to get has a very narrow steep winding stairway that goes from the left of the kitchen fireplace to the second floor.

What kind of railing and handrail could you put in for this staircase? Sorry I only have these up in Shutterfly right now, and I'm too tired to uploaded anyplace else (yes, I know, switch to Flickr).

Here's the stairway from the first floor, so you can see how tiny this is (this is my only pic I can really post):

{{!gwi}}

[Yes, they destroyed the left side of the mantle to put in that panel, but there's still hope that there's a fireplace behind there. Like the hot water heater? No, that's not where it's stored, that's where it's installed. Lovely, eh?]

Click here to see the stair opening from the second floor.

Click here to see what it looks like as you're going down the stairs.

[We're expecting another grandbaby in July... how the heck do you toddlerproof THAT?!? ACK! that's my honey's leg, btw]

Click here to see what it looks like going up the stairs.

Any ideas, other than something incredibly ugly and functional, or incredibly custom and expensive?!? I'd dearly love to find something in architectural salvage somewhere, but the chances of it being just the right size are pretty small.

Comments (4)