SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annie1992_gw

A Michigan weekend get together

annie1992
13 years ago

As some of you may know, we had a Michigan get together this weekend to break in Sherry's new gazebo. Well, actually, we were SUPPOSED to do it last year but.....

Anyway, we invited the newest Michigan member, lakemayor, AKA Karen. She fits right in, not wanting to get too far away from the wine bottles. (grin)

Here is the whole group except me (because I'm taking the picture!) and one late comer:

Starting at the left and going clockwise, that's Elery, Peppi, Roger (Sherry's DH) at the head of the table, Karen's DH Steve, Karen and Sherry.

And here's the surprise guest, Michael/bunnyman!!! I was so glad to see him again, although we only got to spend a couple of minutes talking. Karen and Steve had another commitment so we had to eat earlier than we had planned, poor Michael got his choice of leftovers. Poor Michael...

OK, the food. First we had a trio of dips, that's hummus, my salsa recipe made by Sherry and some guacamole. That was served in the gazebo along with chips, fresh vegetables, wine and some of these, the habanero gold filled cheese thumbprints that Readinglady sent me the recipe for:

Here is the ever lovely Peppi, marinating the chicken, she was grillmaster for the day:

The chicken after it was cooked was delicious. Look, it's not even black, you can tell I didn't grill it!

We had Kathy's (Mustangs) fig and proscuitto salad, made with fresh spinach:

Sherry made a tomato tart and this crab quiche, delicious:

She also made jojoco's orzo salad:

Peppi made potato salad with her Mother's recipe, it was creamy and perfect:

Karen brought a tortellini salad with broccoli, dried cherries and a slightly sweet dressing:

Just in case it wasn't enough, we had fresh dinner rolls made by Sherry, so big and light and fluffy that Peppi and I split one:

here's my whole plate, I was stuffed, but managed to eat some of everything!

Yeah, I even had room for dessert. Sherry made peach pie, which remained uncut:

Why didn't we eat that lovely pie? Because we filled the last tiny little empty space with slices of Sherry's award winning chocolate kahlua mousse cake. It was so dark that it was nearly black, moist and covered with chocolate mousse. MMMMM.

Gifts? Well, we are old friends, so not so many gifts, although Sherry did give everyone some pretty ramekins and I got a big package of yeast, something I always need for my bread baking:

Karen brought a cooler full of blueberries, freshly picked by her DH. I could see the disappointment in Sherry's and Peppi's faces when I told them I'd already picked blueberries and put them in my freezer, so they'd have to take them all. (grin)

Peppi brought some of her home canned sweet and sour red cabbage, so yummy, and I brought jars of Habanero gold and locally grown fresh garlic.

I wish I'd have had more time to visit with Michael, but I had left Cooper at Elery's and since it was over an hour away, we had to go home too soon.

What a bunch of good friends we've become, here on CF.

Annie

Comments (56)

• Teresa_MN
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

The house looks very inviting and a fun place to entertain. I won't be eating dinner.....I am full just looking at all of the delicious things that were served!

• annie1992
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sherry sets a beautiful table, that's for sure.

Spacific, I'm ready, you tell me when and where, and I'm sure some of the rest of the "Michigan contingent" will jump at the chance to come along too.

Annie

• Related Discussions

gardening get together this weekend

Q

Comments (1)
    I wana go. :o( Wish I didn't plan my sale on the same weekend. Do you know what he's speakin' on? What exactly goes on? is it just meet n greet or people exchange or anything? Pattie
    ...See More

Michigan get-together?

Q

Comments (19)
    As it turns out, this is the year I should have planned a trip to Michigan. This week-end Aug 11-15 there will be a big celebration in Coopersville for the 50th Anniversary of Del Shannon's "Runaway"! Events will take place at the Coopersville Historical Museum, Sam's Joint Restaurant in Coopersville, Downtown Battle Creek (for a historical marker), and finally a Twirl Records reunion dinner at Denny's in Detroit! I just found out about this on Sunday. When I was 15 years old, I got a call from Del Shannon in L.A. asking me to be president of his fan club. He also asked me if I could send him copies of his Australian and English EP's and his Coke and Pepsi commercials, which I had managed to collect but he had not. I had written him a letter describing my collections and what I had to go through to get it. I was president of the international club until I went to university at 18. I never got to meet Del, but I had phone conversations with him on a regular basis to collect information for the fan club bulletins. I made tapes of the phone calls, but my sister threw them out because I had stored then in our parents' closet. Oh well... I guess I can visit Coopersville and Grand Rapids (where he was born) some other time. Lars Here is a link that might be useful: Del Shannon
    ...See More

A small forum "get together"

Q

Comments (25)
    I am home from vacation! It was wonderful, and the food and company along the way was the best. Annie and Elery were so gracious to feed us and everything she cooked was awesome. It was nice, after about a year of not feeling well enough to do most anything, to visit with good friends. Then we got to visit Nancy and Kim, and again were treated to a fabulous meal. We spent a lot of time eating and yakking and catching up. There is nothing nicer than getting together with good forum friends...especially those who cook as well as Nancy and Annie, LOL. Thank you ladies. (And Elery) Sherry
    ...See More

West Coast Get-together???

Q

Comments (48)
    Our bathroom renovations in Cathedral City are scheduled to begin August 22, and I don't know how long that will take, but I am hoping that they will be finished soon after Labor Day as well. I have to be back in L.A. September 7 and would only go back to Cathedral City in the middle of the week Sept 17-19, if all goes as planned.
    ...See More
  • sheshebop
    13 years ago

Here is a picture that Karen's husband tool, so it has Annie in it.

• dedtired
    13 years ago

Fun! Nice to see Lakemayor's mug. Those sure are some close-up pictures of the food! Sure looks goooood. If I had been there, you can bet that peach pie would have been cut -- it's my favorite. Thanks for posting.

• BeverlyAL
    13 years ago

Well I'm green as usual. : ) So glad you have a good get-together!

• wizardnm
    13 years ago

I just knew I was going to miss a lot of good food, laughs and great people. I also would really like to meet Karen.

Lyra, it's good to see you looking so good...
    Karen, your salad looks and sounds wonderful...
    Peppi, I would trust you with my chicken breasts anytime...
    Annie, nice photo story and give Elery a hug from me...
    Sherry, you're a wonderful hostess, everything looks so good and I can tell Roger enjoyed all that excellent food.

Hopefully the next time I can make the trip.I miss seeing everyone.

Nancy

• lakeguy35
    13 years ago

I've been waiting for this report. Everyone looks great and it's too cool that Michael could make it there for the party too. I would have been all over that peach pie for sure. I'd love the recipe for the mousse cake when you have time Sherry.

Thanks for sharing with us!

David

• lindac
    13 years ago

Sigh....
    Looks like a great time!! So nice to see everyone...and of course the food looks divine!

• compumom
    13 years ago

It brings back wonderful memories from Canny Camp! Hi everyone and I KNOW that the food was as delicious as it looks!

• centralcacyclist
    13 years ago

Harumph. No one invited me!

Everything and everyone looks great! I do want some of that cake...

• caliloo
    13 years ago

Michael! Great to see you! Looks like a fun time was had by all....

Alexa

• gbsim1
    13 years ago

So fun to see the pictures. What a beautiful table setting with the flowers!

But you could have at least asked.....it would have only taken me two or three days to get there!!! ;)

Grace

• jessyf
    13 years ago

Michael, my old grill buddy from the first get together at Sherry's!

Karen, nice to meet you, again!

Annie you are still a redhead, grin.

Sherry you outdid yourself again. Congrats! And I want to see the gazebo too!

• lakemayor
    13 years ago

Good Lord, This is the first I've seen those pictures. How many glasses of wine did I have before dinner?

It was a great day! Sherry, Annie and Peppi, I can't thank you enough for making us feel so welcome and for all the wonderful gifts.

Sherry has the most beautiful home (I would die for her kitchen), the gazebo and the backyard are just incredibly beautiful. We sat outside and just soaked in the beauty of their landscaping (I obviously soaked in a little too much wine.)

The gifts that everyone gave me were so fun. In fact Sherry, Yesterday I used the Ramekins and made Molten cake for dessert for Steve and I.

I'm so sorry I missed meeting Michael. Hopefully next time.

Also, thanks to all of you out there that have made me feel so welcome. I look forward to many years of learning and sharing on CF.

Karen

• lowspark
    13 years ago

Looks like a good time was had by all! One question though, did I miss the pix of the gazebo? LOL

• canarybird01
    13 years ago

Looks wonderful Annie! It's so nice to see you all together having a good time. Sherry's house is lovely!

I hope we will see the gazebo as well sometime soon!

SharonCb

• sally2_gw
    13 years ago

It looks like lots of fun was had by all. Thanks for sharing so we could join vicariously!

Sally

• bunnyman
    13 years ago

I'm sorry I missed some of the party. It was very nice of Sherry, Roger, and Dexter to have me over again. If you have to have leftovers a CF get-together is the place to have them! Not really left overs as I arrived before the food was all put away... just in time!

: )
    lyra

• Gina_W
    13 years ago

Y'all are lookin good - Lyra you look none too worse for the wear, sweetie.

D'ya think you had enough dang food! LOL! And where are the Dexter pix?

• User
    13 years ago

Well another Harumph from me too, could have been there in under 6 hours and wrestled Michael for the leftovers!

Beautiful table Sherry. Looks like you all had a wonderful time!

• annie1992
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh Sharon, I thought you were at the cottage! Hey, want to come on down and stay with me and we'll meet spacific when she comes?

Annie

• doucanoe
    13 years ago

Well...Harumphs all around! LOL I had a 3 day weekend, too!

Looks like a super group and a great time. Karen, soaking up too much wine is a good thing! LOL

Linda

• sheshebop
    13 years ago

Linda, the only reason I did not call you about the party was I knew you were off canoeing!

• doucanoe
    13 years ago

Silly Sherry.....canoe trip is this coming weekend!

Ah well. Hard as it is to believe, it looks like you had fun without me! LOL

Linda

• spacific
    13 years ago

Help, Michiganders! I'm not sure how to organize a visit. I'm willing to travel anywhere in the state on this trip. The current plan is for DS and I to be in MI from Aug 18-25. Is the weekend the only time to get everyone together? Or would a dinner during the week work?

I'd be happy to offer everyone visiting my Mom's house in Livonia, but I don't think that's very convenient for most of the MI contingency. Who's up for another MI get-together?

Ann

• annie1992
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ann, during the week is actually better for me, I'll take a vacation day from work. I have to go to a bridal shower for Amanda that David's mother is throwing on Saturday, August 21, so any other time would be better, or if it's Saturday night it would have to be closer than Sherry's, like Grand Rapids, I could leave the shower on time to get there...

Annie

• sheshebop
    13 years ago

Ann, I would love to meet you again if I can work out the logistics. Most any day will work for me. Saturday the 21st does NOT work though, as we have a memorial service that day for my father-in-law who passed away last night.
    I don't mind it being at my house, or somewhere closer to Annie. Either way. What say Annie? You wanna plan something?
    And Linda, I am sooo sorry. I sent you an e-mail and you never responded so I thought , "Oh, she has her canoe trip first week in August."
    I would have loved you to be here.

• doucanoe
    13 years ago

I did not get the e-mail Sherry, sorry. Not to worry, I'll make the next one. Well...not THE next one, as in next week, but another next one! LOL

Hope you all can have another good get-together with Spacific!

(Sherry, I'll send you my e-mail addy, too. maybe you have an old one.)

Linda

• spacific
    13 years ago

Sherry, is a weekday ok with you as well? If so, probably Monday the 23rd or Tuesday the 24th would be best for me.

• sheshebop
    13 years ago

Ann, a weekday is fine with me. Monday or Tuesday the 23rd or 24th is fine with me.

• loagiehoagie
    13 years ago

Gosh, it looks like another great time I missed. I never even heard of the event, but being in the middle of summer I am just so busy I know I couldn't make it anyway. I really want to get involved in one of these. You folks are the epitome of 'cool'! Once things settle down and if anyone has a get together in the fall when I most likely could attend...I WOULD LOVE IT! I WANT TO MEET YOU COOL PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Duane

• annie1992
    Original Author
    13 years ago

LOL Duane, Would you like to meet us? (grin)

Either day would be fine with me. I don't know that I'll have time to do much arranging with the wedding, the garden, canning, showers, etc.

Plus, I spent all day in the hospital with Ashley. She went in last night through ER and they kept her, were going to take out her gall bladder. Now they say no, she has an endoscopy tomorrow, if they find nothing then laproscope. While I was rushing into the ER I slammed my finger in the door of the Jeep, They are pretty substantial, and I latched the door, had to open it to get out, Sigh. So I got a bandaid, went to check on Ashley and while they were doing her ultrasound and CT scans, I got an x-ray, pain meds and one of those metal finger protectors. Try to type without that finger, it takes a long time.

Anyway, I'm just a bit busy right now, LOL, but I would sure love a break from daily life...

Annie

• sheshebop
    13 years ago

Well, Ann and Annie, it looks like Lansing is probably the most equal-distant city to travel to for all of us. However, isn't Elery in Jackson? We could all meet there. If it was a Monday, then you (Annie) could be there for the weekend, and Elery probably knows restaurants there. I would be happy to have it at my house, but am afraid that is just not as convenient for either you or Ann. So, if this was amenable, and if Elery could give us the name of a restaurant, then we could all meet there. I could arrange it. I doubt if Peppi could get another day off for this, but I could ask her. I will ask Karen also. And Nancy, and anybody else that wants to meet. Whatcha all think?
    Sherry

• trixietx
    13 years ago

How fun, looks like you had a great time.

Sherry, your home is beautiful and the food looks delicious!

• annie1992
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sherry, Elery is working then, so he won't be able to come along anyway, so I could as easily go to Lansing that day too, it's on the way home from Elery's, so whatever's good for everyone else.

He's actually in Spring Arbor, about 15 miles from Jackson, but I know he'd say to go to Darryl's, although the calimari is so good there I've never eaten anything else on the menu.

There are good places to go in Lansing too, though, especially if Nancy comes down, it would save her an hour or so...

Annie

• spacific
    13 years ago

Lansing or Jackson are fine for me. I do love good calamari. Monday's great. Nancy?

Sherry, Annie, you've both been to CA. Are you craving anything from LA? I'll be packing light!

• annie1992
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ann, I don't thinks that deep fried sushi would pack all that well....

Annie

• lsr2002
    13 years ago

You all look great and so does your house Sherry, and the food that everyone contributed looks fabulous. CF meet-ups are always so much fun. Michael, you do look good, you know we've all been worried about you. Karen, it is nice to see you and Steve. Peppi, I hope you're feeling good now too, you certainly look happy. Add me to the list of those who would have loved to party with you.

Sherry, I'm sorry to read about Rodger's father passing away; you will all be in my thoughts and prayers.

Lee

• pkramer60
    13 years ago

Aw, Sherry, I am so sorry to read about your FIL. Give Roger a big hug, I know how close they were.

I must say I had a great time last weekend. And Karen is a hoot! I wish she and her DH could have stayed longer, as the time just flew.

I got to SHerry's house first, took one look at her menu and ask "Just how many are coming? What army?" So much yummy and all my favorites too. But no spinach brownies! Boo-hoo-I love those.

She sent me home with all kinds of goodies, her pickled beets, and the mousse cake. Plus, we hit the local farm stands, so I took home 3 dozen ears of wonderful corn and 17 Red Haven peaches. Karen brought some of her home grown blueberries and Annie gifted me with her pepper jelly and fresh garlic. A bounty in my car for sure.

It was so good to see Michael again. He is my early morning coffee buddy on the patio now.

I wish I could make the next one with Ann, but we are leaving on vacation the 26th. Take lots of pics for me and raise a glass.

• wizardnm
    13 years ago

Sherry, my condolences on the passing of Roger's DF. Hugs to all.

Monday the 23rd might work out well for me. I need to visit my DM and Lansing is on the way to her home. What about a late lunch? An early dinner would work too...
    I'd be happy to check out resturants....

Nancy

• mustangs81
    13 years ago

Sherry, My condolences to you and Roger. I know you both have worked hard to sustain a quality of life for both of them. You have had a rough summer!!

(((Cathy)))

• sheshebop
    13 years ago

Nancy, I would love it if you could check out the restaurants! Whoopee! I really want to see you again!
    Sherry

• wizardnm
    13 years ago

I'll do that Sherry. Watch your email gang!

Annie...how is Ashley doing? Hug her for me.

Nancy

• spacific
    13 years ago

Lansing Monday? Works for me. That would be great if you can help find a place, Nancy. Duane... I'll be driving from Livonia, aren't you near there? Carpool?

Annie, just reread about your crazy life. Ashley OK? Your finger?

• mustangs81
    13 years ago

Is there room at the table for me?

Cathy

• sheshebop
    13 years ago

Happy dance! Happy dance! I am doing the happy dance!!!
    Cathy!
    Sherry

• annie1992
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Absolutely!!

Annie

• coconut_nj
    13 years ago

What a great get together ya'll had!! And already planning another. Cool. Lake sure caught on quick to protect the wine, eh?

Sherry I'm sorry about your FIL. My condolences to you both. Your house is so beautiful. The crab quiche looks perfect and I too look forward to the recipe for that mousse cake. Yummm.

Thanks for all the pics Annie. I wanted to see the gazebo too.. lol.. but you did better than I would have just getting the food and people!

• pkramer60
    13 years ago

Um...Ummm..Cathy???? You coming through Chitown? Somebody fill me in!

Peppi(who wants to do a happy dance too)

• mustangs81
    13 years ago

Sherry, Thanks for the happy dance!
    Annie, Thanks for the validation.
    Peppi, Stand by, I'm dialing your number.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations