SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
runktrun

Planning a New England Get Together

runktrun
17 years ago

Thought we would start a new thread as a place to create a mutually designed Get Together I did some cutting and pasting of proposed locations and hoping for more input. What would your dream get together include, where would it take place, when would it take place? Some of these questions will answer themselves as the result of availability, cost, ect., but early on in our planning is when brainstorming has no boundaries so let us know what is your dream.

Ok I am going to jump out of the pan and into the fire by putting a little more detail to my dream weekend. As some of you may know I have lived in New England for twenty seven years but have unfortunately not spent much time exploring and getting to know the region so I am totally out of my element here and I depend on what I can read for my information. I was recently flipping through my copy of "Guide to The Trustees of the Reservations Properties" and stumbled on a property in Ipswich MA called Castle Hill on that same property there is The Inn at Castle Hill and a Tavern adjacent to the Inn available for small receptions/meetings. I have never been to Castle Hill (or the north shore for that matter), but I have stayed at a different Trustees property and it was amazing. Here is what I like about this choice;

1. Varied overnight possibilities from classic New England Inn on location to Holiday inn Express or the possibility of being an over night guest of Ma GWer.

2. Indoor facilities for garden lecture/workshop so not dependant on weather or time of year.

3. Location has additional interest walking trails, fishing, beach, ect.

4. Meals offered at location.

5. Close enough to Boston to attract guest lecturer on the coat tails of larger organization.

The Lichfield area is another one that I have never been to and hear it is a gardeners paradise. Is there any one familiar with that area that could tell us what it would have to offer for a gardeners weekend?

Stockbridge MA, where we could visit F Steele's Naumkeag one day, and maybe go to Lenox, MA the next to see Edith Wharton's The Mount, with newly restored estate gardens. Do we have any GWers from western MA who could provide some input?

Comments (40)