SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kathsgrdn

Had a bad scare Friday

Kathsgrdn
13 years ago

I was at work, had just eaten my late lunch. We were busy and I thought I just ate too fast. Started having pain in the center of my chest/abdomen. It got worse and started vomiting (which I had never done before). Drove myself home but the pain was almost unbearable by the time I got home. My dd was home from school and called a friend who took me to the local ER. They thought I was having a gallbladder attack and probably would've opened me up but I told them to call my gastric bypass surgeon in another town. He told them to send me to their hospital. (If I was thinking clearly that's where I should've gone to begin with).

He had a perfed bowel before me and then took me to the OR and went back through my old lap incisions to fix a twisted bowel. Scared the crap out of me. He and everyone is telling me it's just a blip in the whole process and I will eventually be glad I had the original surgery. Right now I'm not so sure. I'm sore, nauseated (with meds this time, though) and still have a JP drain. Doctor tells me there was a 3% chance of it happening the first time and less than that it will happen ever again. I also feel guilty over leaving my co-workers short again. I can't go back to work until sometime next week. I have another follow up Monday for them to take out the JP.

The only upside I've seen to the surgery so far is that I've lost about 35 pounds and am off my bp meds. I can also sleep laying flat again, which I haven't done in years. Not so sure nearly dying was worth that right now, though. I also feel stupid for putting my kids and the exchange students through this little episode. What if I had died. I feel horrible over the whole thing.

Comments (27)