SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lilliepad_gw

Had a bit of a scare

lilliepad
13 years ago

The kids wanted Chicken fried steaks for Sunday dinner today so around 3:30 DD carved the steaks off of a big round roast that we had gotten on sale a couple of weeks ago.Her boyfriend pounded them to a pulp and she seasoned them and put them in the refrigerator.About 5 I got everything out,set up my "breading" station and got busy cooking steaks.I had potatoes boiling for mashed taters on the left back burner,a skillet on the big left front burner and another skillet on the right back burner and a Pyrex casserole dish on the right front burner for the cooked steaks,which I planned to put in the warm oven to keep them warm while I fried the rest.I had decided earlier not to use the skillet on the back right burner then after starting the steaks decided to go ahead and have 2 pans of steaks going at the same time.I turned on the right rear burner(or so I thought) then turned it up a little higher because the oil wasn't getting hot fast enough.I was sitting on my handicap scooter directly in front of the stove taking steak out of the skillet on the left when all of a sudden there was a huge explosion and glass was flying everywhere.DD was standing at the sink about 2 feet behind me and she screamed,"Oh my god!" then we realized what had happened.I had turned the burner on under the Pyrex casserole sitting on the right front burner by mistake and it got hot and exploded! Glass flew everywhere,all over the kitchen,in all of the food.There were big shards and tiny shards everywhere.I just sat there dumbfounded for a few seconds because it hadn't soaked in what had happened. Nobody was hurt,and thank God the babies were not in the kitchen at the time.A few more minutes and they would have been because DD was fixing their plates for them to come to the table and eat.I had a lot of tiny little pieces of glass on the front of my shirt and DD had some in her hair but that's about it.It could have been a lot worse I guess.This happened about 6 PM and I thought I was OK but started feeling really nauseous and had a headache afterwards.I guess it scared me more than I realized.I'm OK now.LOL

I hate the stove here anyway.It is electric and the knobs have dots on them showing which is the front burner and which is the back and I always get them confused.Plus they are on the back which makes them hard for me to reach anyway.I told everyone that I was no longer cooking anything on that stove!LOL I do know for sure that I will be more careful and make sure which burner is on and will never sit anything on a burner that I think is not on!!! Lesson learned.

Comments (16)