SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
davidwczerr

Anvil Acquired! .......& Propane Forge Project Pics

davidwczerr
19 years ago

As a follow up to my other post........I now have an anvil! I got it just a few days ago, it's a 180lb Hay-

Budden, 28-1/2" long and in very good shape. I cleaned it up today and took some pics that are posted below. I'm absolutely amazed by the amount of rebound this anvil has as compared to the chunk of mild steel I was using prior to this. If you let the hammer drop on the face it will bounce up almost as high as it was dropped from, while the mild steel bounces back about 20%. It takes a lot less effort to work a piece of steel on this. I didn't think it would be that big of a difference, but it is.

Also attached are some pics of the propane forge I've mentioned before. I finally put the finishing touches on it today, welding on the last few pieces and pouring the refractory cement. All it lacks now is some flat black high temp paint and we'll be forging! Some specs: the pipe is 8" diameter, 12" long, weldable pipe cap for front door, 3-1/2" square opening in the front and back, the back has a sliding door to accomodate longer stock. During normal operation I'll work through the front square opening, but will be able to open the whole front as needed. The stand was all scrap I had laying around and doubles as a really nice portable metalworking table for welding and grinding.

The refractory cement should be ready in a couple of days for firing, then it will be coated with a ceramic coating that reflects heat and should make it even more efficient. The burner is homemade as well with 3/4" black iron pipe, a 2"x1" weldable reducer and a MIG 0.35" tip to serve as the jet for injecting the propane. It will burn from about 3psi up to 20psi, maybe higher but at that point she's roaring like a jet engine and surely will provide welding heat in the forge.

Enjoy the pics and if you need close-ups or questions answered let me know.......David

{{!gwi}}

Comments (9)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES