SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
loves2cook4six

Pickle haul and BWB questions

loves2cook4six
12 years ago

This weeks CSA included a TON of cucumbers so I made pickles.

Here is what I ended up with:

Dill and Garlic Pickles

1 gallon jar refrigerator pickles because the jar was too large to fit in my pot and because it's in the fridge I forgot to add it to the picture

4 1/2 gallon jars

6 Qt jars

2 qts refrigerated but also BWB - also not in pic because they were in the fridge and I forgot to take them out for the pic

Bread and Butter Pickles

3 qt jars

1 qt jar that may be a little "hot" as I added sliced pepper to what I thought was about 1 pint's worth and ended up being a bit more

1 pint HOT

So here are my questions..

1. Will the pickles in that gallon jar be safe to eat? I used Chase's recipe for brine but the jar was too large to fit in my BWB. It's been in the fridge since it cooled down enough to go in.

2. I have two jars where I used clean used glass jars from store bought pickles and peaches and reused the lids because canning lids didn't fit. These did go through the BWB and do seem to have created a seal but are in the fridge just in case.

3. The water in the BWB covered the jars but only by about an inch. Was this enough? I used a rack but I guess I could use a towel on the bottom and get another 3/4" for next time.

4. Finally, the first batch that went in to the BWB was in a 1/2 gallon jar. When I took the jar out, the lid had gone from stark white to the color of pickle juice. What happened? Is that jar safe to eat from? It did form a seal.

Comments (10)