SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nancyofnc

Julila's Beouf Bourquignon

nancyofnc
11 years ago

I've been cooking for 50 years or so, but never made Julia Child's beef stew with wine until today. Whew! There are surprisingly a lot of steps and many in and out of pan/oven/dish for the process. Messed up my whole kitchen! But, totally delicious and so worth the effort. I made it with the variation of lardons, sauteed mushrooms, and hand peeled boiled pearl onions. Seems that there is the original recipe in her book, slightly different on her old show on YouTube, and there are endless variations of others tweaking the recipe on the web.

Have you made Julia's signature dish?

I never had her "Mastering..." book and only watched her show off and on over the years - since it came on usually when I was at work. When I went to see the movie "Julie and Julia", I was totally enamored by Meryl Streep's interpretation of that talented and marvelous chef. I think she would have been a great friend to anyone. I even went to the Smithsonian to see her kitchen but I did not leave a stick of butter. ;-0

Nancy

Comments (6)

• caliloo
    11 years ago

I have made Julia's Boeuf Bourguignon and it is magnifique! I'm glad you really followed all the steps - it does make a difference and the end result is soooo worth it! BTW I always make the variation with the mushrooms and pearl onions too - adds to the prep time but I love it so it is worth it to me.

Now you have me craving it... come on cooler weather!

Alexa

• lindac
    11 years ago

Yep...I have made it many many times, I just call it the way to make beef stew.......but more often I short cut a bit, I use less bacon, so I don't have to defat the gravy, and I add onions and mushrooms directly to the pot without sauteing first.

• Jasdip
    11 years ago

Good for you Nancy!!!
    I saw a few shows of Julia as well, but she didn't inspire me like she does many others.

Until.....I saw Julie and Julia. I just loved that show.....as did hubby. I should try my hand at her borguignon....

• petra_gw
    11 years ago

Yes, last autumn/winter it was my go-to recipe for company dinners. Have not met anyone who does not love it. Last week, I talked to one of hubby's friends I cooked it for and he is still raving about it. Of course, he does not cook and subsists on tv dinners, so he would probably love anything home-cooked. :o)

• jakkom
    11 years ago

I love her Bavarian cream recipe. I once made a variation of it with super-ripe bananas that were almost mush, they were so far gone. It made the greatest mousse any of us had ever had. It was like the most decadent banana ice cream, only much, much better!

In the instructions she states they tried all the "quickie" methods for making a Bavarian cream, and all of them were judged failures. It is essential to follow all the steps she takes.

The timing on when to fold in the whipped cream is the trickiest part. You have to keep checking the cream until it's just right. One time I left it too long and by the time I went to fold in the whipped cream, the mixture had set. The taste was good, but the light airy texture was ruined.

The other recipe that is amazing is her casserole roasted duck with turnips. I hate turnips, but they are absolutely phenomenal made this way.

• ann_t
    11 years ago

I have another recipe of Julia's for Beef Burgundy/Bourginon which is made from slices of beef tenderloin. Although I like her Boeuf Bourguignon, I prefer the one made with tenderloin. Great dinner party recipe.

~Ann