SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brescianlute

It started with a pendant...

brescianlute
15 years ago

It started with a pendant... well not really, it's starting with a house. Here goes:

Hello GardenWeb,

I'm considering combining the following elements to create a kitchen where my family (one who is a GardenWeb reader who nudged me to join!) and friends and I will love cooking in and hanging out nearby.

Practical needs: As many drawers and organizational aids as possible

Design wishes: I don't know exactly how to describe what design these elements below create, but these are what I'm drawn to.

Colors I'm drawn to:

Walnut / brown, silver, gold, cream, white

Style I'm drawn to:

In terms of cabinet doors, traditional. From all else I've read, transitional might apply.

Pendant is what I'm most excited about. It will be the smaller version of this picture from the store:

I love how there's both silver and gold in the pendant mesh, and also the geometric nature of the grid you can see when you get close.

Next thing I'm most excited about are the cabinets: Ikea's Liljestad Dark Brown lowers, with the same in with the glass doors mostly in the uppers.

I'm interested in Ikea for the price and the organization possibilities, and they happen to have a color that I like.

Next 2 things I most like about the kitchen are the faucet and the hood. The curve in the front of the Faber Tender hood echo the curve in the Moen Bouquet faucet handle.

I've been undecided about the range, but if I had to order right now I'd order the Sharp Insight KB-4425, the slide-in version with both a microwave drawer and oven in the lower part.

The fridge I'm seriously considering is the Samsung RFG297AARS.

Dishwasher:

Kenmore Pro - seems to be the quietest in its $$ class and read good feedback on its cleaning ability.

Countertop:

From everything I've read and heard, white corian would be a bear to clean longer term, and I've never been crazy about corian.

I'm looking for a granite that has a base of white in it to be high contrast with the dark brown. My guess is the more white the better. After that, ideal would be flecks of silver + gold + brown.

Backsplash:

Either the granite itself

or

Subway tile in a color that matches one of the lightest colors in the slab

or

a very light mosaic

Sink:

Something very big in stainless. Given the entire kitchen and counter is very open to the den, I want a big sink to be able to push all the dishes into that I don't clean before heading out to the porch.

Those are the components. Here is what they are going into. ( I am a beginner w/ the Ikea software. My intent is for there to be a fridge left side panel and a panel on the right of the dishwasher, even though that doesn't show. I just joined IkeaFans (as BrescianLute - same user name).

{{gwi:1640835}}

Questions:

General feedback?

What to do with the back of the peninsula that is very visible to the den?

Granite suggestions?

What I'd like to have most that this kitchen does not support is a small eat-in table for 2 people.

My idea for that so far is via an elevated "Starbucks table" off the end of the peninsula.

The orientation of the circle is all wrong in my pic below. But the idea is something small and round and elevated with those metal stainless cylinders. What size do you think would be best for that peninsula?

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen Planning Photobucket album

Comments (14)

• auchmedden
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I think all your design elements will create a cohesive look in your kitchen and I really like the pendant, as long as they are not too big to overpower the space. I do not see that there is sufficient room for your table idea. Would you consider a counter height bar with stools on the peninsula for seating? Or maybe a raised bar with stools which would hide the kitchen mess from the den?

With regard to the granite color, check out this site where you can search based on the dominant color. In the end though, you really need to go look at slabs with your door sample and backsplash in hand.

Here is a link that might be useful: granite colors

• ccoombs1
    15 years ago

I like all of your choices very much. I had actually planned on using those same cabinets until I found my cabinet guy who built me some custom cabinets for not much more. The granite I selected has a lot of cream in it, with gold, rust, black and gray. Lots of bling! It's called Delicatus.

• Related Discussions

Pendant over bar table?

Q

Comments (2)
    I can still see your pic : ) If you are worried about seeing your posters you could think of a similar pendant that is all glass. Here are a few examples My favorite HTH
    ...See More

Just Ordered my Pendants - all because of brescianlute !!

Q

Comments (1)
    I love that pendant! It is definitely on the top of my list for my kitchen now. Thank you!
    ...See More

Anyone recognize this schoolhouse pendant?

Q

Comments (3)
    I recognized this photo immediately -- I've kept all the kitchen photos from this blog in my inspiration file for about a year now. The blog is called August Fields. Her pendant lights were purchased "locally" but I don't know where she lives. She lists the style as "quorum. #801-15-14." Maybe a google search will give you some local retailers. Good luck!
    ...See More

I need some help balancing and brightening this space.

Q

Comments (3)
    4k will blow out the amber, and totally change the color of the whole room, I just moved into a house that has them, in a very similar kitchen color, they make the cabinets look horrible and cold I cannot wait to change them. They are actually a good size and go with the kitchen well. But if you dont like them keep in mind: Avoid clear globes Notice that the forced downlight right now is actually lighting your counters so pick something that allows the light mostly out of the bottom. Move to a metal shade rather than glass, that would give you a whole new look! here are three examples from Uttermost:
    ...See More
  • ccoombs1
    15 years ago

Oh...I meant to post this earlier too. Are you sure about that stove? I don't think I'd like an oven that is SO low down! A regular oven is pretty low, but that one you are almost getting down to floor level to get stuff out of it. I don't think that would be very comfortable. Plus it's hard to peek in though the glass and see how things are cooking that low down.

• lebwhite
    15 years ago

I love the pendant. Would you mind sharing more info about it? Thanks

• brescianlute
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Lebwhite: Sure - The pendant is Uttermost Marcel pendant in the Metallic Champagne finish. Lighting Showplace also sells one in a Copper finish that isn't right for my kitchen but still intriguing to me.

Here is another picture of it in the store. This is the bigger version (12" high). The one I'm getting is the Mini version (7" high) which I have not seen. I've actually been thinking it will be too small, but I know the large is too large, so hopefully it will be perfect.

Until I saw that one I was going to order this one below from Martha Stewart Lighting Textured Mercury Glass Pendant model P1132WBZ. I liked the curves / ripples and its reflectivity. However, the fabric in the Marcel pendant seemed to bring some softness while still being reflective.

ccoombs1: I'm not at all sure about that Sharp Insight range.

My rationale is: I use my microwave a lot more than the big oven, and I'd really like the micro off the counter. I also use my Krups toaster oven a lot more than my big oven.

Ex: Over 2 days when at home, I'll use the Krups ~ five times and the big oven maybe once. My cooking pattern is cook or BBQ the proteins in big batches over the weekend and then focus on veggies during the week - in the toaster oven or the stove.

I'd also like to get the Krups off the counter, but don't know how to do that.

ccoombs1, thanks so much for the pics of your beautiful kitchen! I'll look for Delicatus when I go granite shopping this weekend. Anyone have recommendations for specific granite yards / fabricators in the Tampa area? My email should be visible in my profile if you'd prefer email.

auchmedden, thanks for your feedback and link to the granite site!

re: >> Would you consider a counter height bar with stools on the peninsula for seating? Or maybe a raised bar with stools which would hide the kitchen mess from the den?

Yes, good points. Would it be possible to add that in a "Phase 2" type of approach?
    (I'm guessing it would be more expensive than a 27" round table or so)

Also just because I really was sooooo hoping I could find a way to fit something circular and attached into the kitchen. (so that one person can look out on the porch while having coffee, etc)

If you imagine the kitchen as just a 11 x 15 empty box (which it will be when I take out all the existing cabinets), is there a way to fit it in ?

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

Question... and I ask this 'cause I'm attracted to drum style pendants... does fabric, like the above (or any fabric for that matter); attract and adhere dust? Is it harder to clean?

• brescianlute
    Original Author
    15 years ago

In general, it probably would hold dust more than glass / other materials. And... what to do if tomato sauce somehow splashed that high? I'd cry.

The Marcel pendant fabric-mesh feels a little more... slippery, less like an absorbent fabric.

• brescianlute
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am seriously considering changing my floorplan to include extra deep counters everywhere in my U-shaped kitchen. There is plenty of floorspace between the sides of the U to support it.

However, I'm not sure I understand all the implications. Here's what I am thinking so far. Please tell me where I'm wrong or even where I might be wrong.

Big picture questions:

1) With 36" deep counters, how could I still use my same Ikea Liljestad brown lower 24" deep cabinets?

What I'm picturing would be required is:
    1a) the base cabinet would be moved forward 12" away from the wall
    1b) Something would then have to be built to shim, or connect securely, the base cabinets, now moved 11 inches forward, to the wall. (what the heck could do that??)
    Like a rectangular frame of some kind.

2) Extra bracing for the 12" overhang of granite might be needed along the BACK, with the granite

3) Upper cabs don't necessarily change. It would definitely make them harder to get to... But (I'm planning on keeping all critical things well organized in the lower drawers.

Having less floor space in this kitchen is not a problem. In fact, there's currently too much space between the counters.

Has anyone out there actually changed their own floorplan to support deep counters, when it wasn't that way originally?

The peninsula part of the "U" is already 36" deep, and that amount of counter space seems amazing! (I wonder what is going on under that extra counter depth? I'm going to find out!!)

Oh wow - I just realized I have to figure this out regardless! -- I definitely want to keep that 36" depth already on the peninsula with whatever counter I put on top of my new base cabinets!

Here's the general layout from the hallway walking by:

Here's the aerial view showing the change impact to the left side:

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

I suggest that you start a new thread where the title reflects the nature of your new question. Your title, though clever; doesn't let the posters know what your asking. There are layout genius's out there who could really help you... they saved me!

• mindstorm
    15 years ago

How'd you feel about 30" deep counters? I have 36" is very deep and you'd have a bigger hassle dealing with the uppers with the lowers being that much deeper. I have 30" (actually 29 1/4" because I fit my cabs into a 12foot long alcove which happened to be that deep) and did that by pulling the cabs away from the wall. Now, for 30" deep cabs if you have a 1" overhang, because you have frameless cabinets with a 3/4" door thickness, it stands to reason that the cabinet faces be (30" - 1.75" = 28.25") deep. I believe the cabs are 24" deep, ergo, you need to make up 4.25" - I think 2 stacked timber frames can do that: 3"x4 + 2x4". Place two horizontal strips of these stacked braces one along the top of the cabinet and one towards the bottom to secure the base of the cabinet to and you're good to go.

• brescianlute
    Original Author
    15 years ago

remodelfla,

I tried to post that as a new message last night. But When I click on "Post a new message" I don't get the empty box to put the text into - it just scrolls me down to all the instructions.

It seems I can only post followups to this topic, but not a new one. Maybe there's a quota of 1 new topic / x days for new users to make sure a new user doesn't post a bunch of spam topics?

Mindstorm,

Interesting. I think I followed that, and 30" deep counters would be fine too. In what you are describing, the total height of the cabinet does not increase, right?

And silly question: Are "timber frames" pre-made wood rectangles available as that in lumber yards? Or something that people just always create?

• jen19083
    15 years ago

brescianlute - you're off to a great start. That pendant is fabulous.

W/r to your question about a lighter granite - I've got Bianco Romano in my (soon-to-be-finished) kitchen. My cabs are lighter, but I've seen other posters with darker cabinets like yours who also have this granite.

Good luck!

• mindstorm
    15 years ago

brecianlute,
    Indeed you're correct - the height doesn't change.

I may not be using the right term either - by "timber frame", I meant construction timber: things like two-by-fours and the like. Basically some strong straight pieces of wood that you could firmly attach to the wall and that you could firmly secure your cabinets to with the appropriate amount of stand-off. It may be that to make the correct amount of standoff that you may want to use some 2x4s/3x4s and some plywood. That you can work out.

One last thing: if you're planning to have uppers over these deep base cabinets, then the uppers would need to be either made deeper or pulled out also. You'll have a tough time reaching the uppers if you're standing a further 6" back than you would with normal depth lowers...

• danielle00
    15 years ago

ok... that has to be one of the most comprehensive posts I've seen recently. I like the pendant.. I also really like your faucet choice. I think the Ikea cabs will be great too! Keep us posted on your progress.