SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kmarcel

Built in bookshelves with TV not centered???

Karen Marcely
11 years ago

I really want my husband to do built ins in our familyroom and get rid of the oversized entertainment center that was meant for the old style deeper TVs. They wouldn't actually be built in the sense of being recessed, but they would be made to attach to the wall about 12" deep for the bookshelves, with the TV section protruding out about 15" in order to house all the components that are deeper than the flat screen tv.

My familyroom is narrow and this would take up space, but I think the look would make the room seem less cluttered than the current furniture that is holding the tv. Plus we have alot of books that we need bookshelves for.

However, because of the way my familyroom is arranged (which cannot be changed) the tv would not be centered, it would have more bookshelves on one side than the other.

My question is does that not look right to not have a tv or fireplace not be centered within the built ins? What if I even took it a step further and put the TV on the one end and then all the shelving to the left of that? I don't have any photos, just wanted feedback about not centering your tv in built ins.

Comments (9)