SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rachelellen_gw

Rachel The Musroom Fiend's Cream o' 'Shroom Soup

rachelellen
15 years ago

I finally wrote down what I was doing as I made Cream of Mushroom soup today, and have gotten so many good recipes from y'all that I wanted to share. This soup is for real mushroom fiends like me, is my husband's favorite soup and makes my friends' eyes light up whenever I show up with a jar of it as a gift. I've messed with the recipe off and on for years, and could never get it "mushroomy" enough until I discovered the Secret Ingredient....shhhh!

Rachel the Mushroom FiendÂs Cream o ÂShroom Soup

Ingredients:

1 lg. Onion, chopped

2 lg celery stalks, chopped

1 c minced mushrooms

2 c sliced mushrooms

½ t dried savory

4 c rich chicken stock (if you haven't any home made chicken stock that turns into gelatin when refrigerated, you can use 3 c of canned chicken stock with 1 c of canned beef stock)

3 lg cloves garlic

¾ t black pepper

1 t salt

1 pt heavy cream

1 pt milk

9 T butter

3 T white flour

¼ c dry white wine (or dry sherryÂNOT cooking wine or cooking sherry)

½ c Secret IngredientÂshhhh!*

In a dutch oven, saute half the onion and celery, all the garlic &

1 c minced mushrooms in 3 T butter until onions are translucent. Add savory, pepper & salt and saute until you smell the savory. Add the Secret IngredientÂshhh! and saute until the Secret IngredientÂshhh! absorbs enough liquid to turn dark and unappetizing looking, while smelling very mushroomy. Add the rich chicken stock and simmer until the vegetables are quite soft.

Using an immersion blender (stick blender) or a traditional blender, puree the stock and veggies until smooth.

Add the cream and milk and bring to a slow simmer.

In the meantime, make a blonde roux from 3 T butter and the white flour. When your roux is ready and the soup simmering, whisk the roux into the soup briskly.

Saute the rest of the onion, celery and the sliced mushrooms in 3 T of butter until onions are translucent. Add the white wine and simmer for a few minutes to intensify the flavors. Stir mixture into the soup and simmer until the veggies are tender.

If youÂve planned far enough ahead, and the aroma hasnÂt driven you crazy with mushroom lust, set the soup off the heat to completely cool. If it can sit in the fridge overnight, so much the better. The flavors "moogle" together as those of so many soups do with time, and the soup becomes even tastier upon reheating.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blonde Roux instructions for those who said,

Comments (20)