SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
likesivy

Tzatziki, taboolie, dolma, etc.

likesivy
16 years ago

I am preparing a Greek-style, sit-down dinner for another couple tomorrow (Sat). IÂm confused about the timing of service. The menu is

Dolmas

Pita bread and hummus

Blanched cauliflower, broccoli, and raw yellow pepper with roasted garlic aiola

Black olives

I plan to serve these foods and offer ouzo to drink.

Then,

Taboolie

Skewered, grilled shrimp and scallops

Tzatziki

I plan to offer retsina with the meal.

Dessert will be baklava with either

Pistachio ice cream or if that sounds too nutty with the baklava

Lemon sherbet, or

Peach ice cream. Help me choose.

And espresso.

Should I serve the tzatziki with the appetizer? Should I leave hummus and bread on the table if they are unfinished when we're ready to move on with the meal?

IÂve never been to Greece and donÂt know any Greeks. Obviously. Any advice?

Comments (8)

• lindac
    16 years ago

I think ouzo is best served with after dinner coffee. Serve a Rodities both with the meal and before....I am not a big fan of retsina....and really don't like it witn my meal.
    I would leave the hummus and pitas on the table if theya re not gone. And I would leave the tzatziki..
    I really think tzatziki is best with beef or lamb but I guess it's good with dolmas too. And I think I would include some veggies with the main course, sliced tomatoes, baked eggplant even a green salad...but my mind is picturing white shrimp and scallops, tan tablouli and white tzatziki and think you need some color.
    I love pistachio ice cream with baklava....and ouzo with my coffee!
    Linda C

• likesivy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I hear ya about the food colors. I figured if I put lots of parsley and tomatoes in the bulghur, that'd be enough. I could garnish with small tomatoes. There will be parsley and lemon wedges garnishing the plate of skewers, too. Thanks for all the suggestions.

• lindac
    16 years ago

Put the tabouleh on a bed of lettuce, put a couple of tomato slices on the side...instant color!
    Do I still get ouzo with my coffee? Going out to dinner....wonder if they will have ouzo?
    Did I mention I love ouzo? LOL!
    Linda C

• likesivy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Linda. Yes, definitely ouzo with the coffee. Appreciate the beverage recommendations.

• lpinkmountain
    16 years ago

I make this dinner all the time for company, it is one of my all time favorite meals, although I don't get the alcohol. I think you just keep adding food as the meal progresses. One thing I have done for dessert is serve ice cream or frozen yogurt in a half canteloupe. You could do that with any of your ice cream/sherbet options. It's very refreshing.

I often put peppers and/or tomatoes in my tabouleh. You can also make chopped salad as a side, which is basically anything fresh and crunchy you have on hand, chopped into bite sized pieces and marinated in a lemon juice or wine vinegar and olive oil marinade. Add fresh herbs like dill or oregano if you have them.

• tkln
    16 years ago

In our family, when I was a kid, ouzo came first. And second. And third...well, you get the drift. But it was always offered with appetizers, and throughout dinner.

Yogurt with dolma was the usual, but for us, tzatziki (or ghaghik for us Armenians) was more of a side dish during dinner.

I would definitely leave the hummus and bread out there until it's gone!

Lucy

• colleenoz
    16 years ago

Or there's classic Greek salad, with chopped tomatoes, cucumbers,onions, kalamata olives, feta cubes and lemon, oil and oregano dressing....

• granjan
    16 years ago

I realize this is late but the Greeks and other Middle Easterners have ouzo as an aperitif as soon as you walk in the door. Some of them keep going all through the meal and some switch to wine. They add water until after dinner!