SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
demifloyd

Cozy Away Room

demifloyd
16 years ago

One of the features of newer construction is many of the plans are more open. Although I designed our home several years ago, it was difficult to maintain the balance between privacy and definition of living spaces with the open feeling, preservation of views and sense of flow that I wanted to achieve.

I had originally planned a walk in room on the upstairs level, approximately 10 x 9 1/2 feet, to be used for storage of seasonal items. During construction it occurred to me it would be a perfect "away" room (yes, I read Sarah Susanka's books although the entire concept was not for us). So I asked the builder to add a window and finish it out; there is a door that accesses that side of the attic in that room,

as well, so there's not a lot of space.

It's taken me two and half years to come up with what to do with it--the last five months have been waiting for the window treatment, which finally arrived. Ultimately, the walls will be covered with prints, art--mainly travel related items. There is a tall bookcase directly across from the daybed which will house my future Bose (I could use some of you to help me arrange that bookcase, I can do it but it is definitely not my favorite thing to do--too tedious) and the little marble bistro table is for wine, coffee, tea, hot chocolate--or my famous Lemoncellos, on a rough day. Definitely no television and no telephone. Lots of books and my needlepoint.

It's crazy, over the top, a little gypsy and a little bordello, but it is cozy and cocoon-like; I thought

some of you would enjoy seeing it and perhaps it might inspire some of you to find a similar spot in your own home for a mini retreat.

Please, anyone else who has a similar space, please share photos!

For those of you with more spartan tastes....I understand!

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths