SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
compumom_gw

OT but What washer and dryer do you own?

compumom
16 years ago

Front loader? Which brand? Top loader High Efficiency or regular top loader with an agitator?

Oh the indecision, so I'm turning to friends I trust. I've spent a couple of weeks on the laundry forum. I'm ready to buy, but each time I think I know what I want to replace my 15 year old Maytags, someone's post blows it for me.

We don't stack them, and do have cabs above so I'd prefer not to have too high with a large pedestal. The tops of the machines are used as a staging area for entertaining, so I need some flat space to work. I like the IDEA of an agitatorless toploader,but there seems to be complaints against every brand. I read CR's recs and they love the LG, but if you read the laundry forum, there are conflicting points of view here too. Frankly, I think CR's isn't what it used to be and always take their recs with a grain of salt.

There are things I don't like about all the machines-- from which side the doors open to--always to the left and that means my washer and dryer's locations will have to be switched and have longer vents or hoses. Ugh.

It's mostly just the two of us so I don't need the whazoo machine like DD just got, nor do we get overly dirty. I only want something that will clean the clothes, be somewhat ecologically and economically friendly and most important have few service issues. One more thing, I'm concerned about the long cycle times since all my wash is primarily done one day a week.

My first choice for the moment is the Bosch 500 series front loader, but I'm intrigued by other types.The prices are scary and folks say that they don't make them like they used to so don't expect 15 years from the new pair! I'm probably buying from Lowe's as I have a coupon for 10% off and they have a 30 day satisfaction policy.

So CF friends, help me out!

Thanks in advance!

E

Comments (30)

• lindac
    16 years ago

Ancient Maytag top loader top of the line at the time....and an even older gas dryer.....SSSSH!!! I like them!! Both made when a Maytag was a MAYTAG!
    Linda C

• compumom
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sorry this got posted here instead of conversations, but I'd appreciate your answers nonetheless!
    Linda- both of my sets in 30 years have been Maytags. I'm crying that I can't just go buy another one and replace these. After the Neptunes, their rep is awful now!

• Related Discussions

Do you love your stacked washer/dryer?

Q

Comments (14)
    When we bought our current house, it was shown floor-standing washer and dryer in an alcove by the back door to the back deck. PO took her appliances with her. The alcove was big enough for just 2 items. But there was no utility sink anywhere in the house. Obvious solution--a stacked w & d would give me space to have a sink installed. I LOVE the stacked unit. I'm 5'6" and don't find the washer too low, or the dryer too high. And the fact that in my case they're convenient to the line I have strung on the deck is a huge plus. Having moved from a house where the laundryroom was in the basement, and the bedrooms on the second floor, I discovered something. I LOVE doing laundry--what I hated about it in the other house was the constant lugging loads up and down several flights of stairs. If a stacked pair works for you, it can be a real space saver. I have a suggestion--if you have a friend with a stacked set, why not ask if you could come over and do a couple of loads, just to get the feel of it. And DO make sure you get all the specs before committing to buying the set. You have to have the right outlets in the right places--and if needed, it's better to have the electrical work done before the set's delivered (they didn't tell me the dryer only came with a 4' cord when I bought--so my poor electrician had to work around the already delivered washer and dryer to move the outlet up about 6 feet from where it had been previously.
    ...See More

What washer/dryer to buy? What do you have/like?

Q

Comments (24)
    I have opened the door on my Electrolux at different times to see how warm or hot the water was. I didn't use a thermometer, but of course the water was HOT, very hot on the sanitize and it still had over an hour left. On the auto temp hot, the water was pretty hot. On the warm, it felt warm enough for me, but others may not think so. I feel very confident with the temps when washing. I have had clean clothes, and all stains were removed except for the very very old ones. I just always do my towels, kitchen cloths, socks, white t-shirts, any pet stuff on sanitize, and do use whites option when i don't have 2 hrs for san, and am happy with the results. We also had a cat that as it got bigger started going outside the box everywhere. We tried everything, even kitty prozac, but finally were backed against the wall and had to put him down. He also was feral for some reason even though i found him before he was weaned, and had him for 5 years. It was the worse thing i ever had to do, especially with him having no physical probs. The doc said it was behavioral prob, and the frralness was in his DNA. I help rescue and never had a prob like this. I have a moma cat right now with 3 kittens, and one of them was hours away from death, but we brought him back and he is now walking and playing some, just runs out of steam fast, but i would do anything for animals. Thats why i tried for over 2 years to help my cat, even after all my tables were peed on, my bar, my beds, my furniture, 2- 15ft carpet replacements, computer desks, clothes. i still feel guilt.
    ...See More

Do you own a Speed Queen Washer or Dryer?

Q

Comments (1)
    We have owned the Speed Queen AWN432 for one year. No problems so far, washes great, little vibration, but not the quietest. We have not had to call for service.
    ...See More

Do you love your Samsung steam washer and dryer?

Q

Comments (8)
    Powder. Lot of people do not like powder but most service techs will tell you to use powder in HE machines. Liquids build up and cause mold/smells where powder does not. Liquids(so some techs say) also causes seal failures which lead to bearing failure. Mine is going on 16 years old and for the most part used only powder. Have used some liquid now and then in certain loads but for me I get the most for my money with powder. Have a friend who had same kind of machine as I do but hers was newer model. Bearings went bad and tech told her cost as much or more to get it fixed as buying a new one. She had always used liquid Tide. She went to a top load Speed Queen.
    ...See More
  • Virginia7074
    16 years ago

I have a Seimens front-load washer and dryer. Same 500-series as the Bosch Nextt. Have had them for 2 years and love them. My only complaint (and it's not really that) is that the dryer's drum is so big, I sometimes have to get down on all fours to reach way back into it. If I had them on raised platforms, that problem would be solved, but I don't want to give up the space on top of the machines.

I always had a top-loader before and my last one was a Whirlpool. No complaints against them, really, but my clothes are noticeably cleaner and smell fresher with the Siemens. Also, my washer drains directly out into my septic field and front-loaders out a minimal amount of gray water.

My main reason for buying the Siemens was that they have a good rep and Best Buy was having a sale on the pair at the time. Some people will tell you that it's hard to get service for them, but I haven't found that to be the case at all. Had the washer serviced just once, when the spring came off the door and DH and I couldn't get it to snap back on. Service rep had a special tool to do that and DH and I didn't want to break anything or void the warranty.

Browse around on the laundry forum, too. Lots of good info there.

• msafirstein
    16 years ago

I hated my Maytag Neptune and was so happy when it finally broke down. Up until the Neptune, I loved my Magtags.

Now I have a top load Kenmore Oasis and I love it. I also have a front load Bosch and I love it too! My dryer is the still-working Maytag Neptune dryer which is doing just fine.

Michelle

• kayskats
    16 years ago

GE ... dryer opens on right ... washer top loader but when it goes, it'll be a front loader

it may not be in stock, but I'm sure you can order the hinges on either side for both the dryer and the washer.

• jessyf
    16 years ago

Ooooh Michelle you have my dream set up of two washers.

I have a pimped out

and I'm looking to get a second washer. I'm most likely going to get the Bosch 500 but I'm leaning towards the Duet Sport (dmlove has one) because its a true horizontal drum, not tilted. Dang but that Bosch does heat throughout the cycle and I don't want to give that up.

Ellen, if you have back problems, I'd consider the Bosch family because the opening is the widest. I have a cheap Kitchenaid dryer with a drop down door which is easy since the door doesn't swing - doesn't matter which side the washe is on.

• Carol Schmertzler Siegel
    16 years ago

Just got an LG front load, a few months ago after my GE top load went. I went with the front load because I couldn't stand when it walked across the room when it was unbalanced! I didn't want the pedestal because I have cabs above and I also use the tops of the machines to "hold" stuff when company comes! I should have gotten the pedestals, my back hurts from bending and reaching to the back of the machines where inevitably the socks always land!

Ellen, there is always going to be a conflicting review, I didn't know anything about LG or any other front load, I just needed a washer ASAP and I didn't want top load any more. If it helps, I like the LG, my clothes smell nice, they are clean! and they don't bang and groan!

• lindac
    16 years ago

What's an LG? Why would you want an agitatorless top load? I know a front load uses less water, but unless that's an issue in your area....I hate to get stuff out of a front loader.
    My washer is 20 years old.....makes me nervous.

• lakeguy35
    16 years ago

Ellen, I have Kenmore front loaders that are going on six years old. I think they are made by Fridgidaire??? They were the best bang for the buck on the Laundry Forum way back when. Nothing fancy, just a basic FL washing machine. The longest cycle, heavy wash, is about 40 - 45 minutes. I do my work clothes on the short wash cycle, I think it runs about 30 minutes. I think the longer wash times come into play with washers with on board heaters.

The main thing I LOVE about the washer is how quiet it is, a little noise while spinning but nothing compared to my old top loader. The dryer is louder than the washer..LOL.

I do put them through a work out with all of the towels and bedding during the summer. Also, I have hardwood floors and alot of rugs and they tackle them just fine. My final test was my white socks....perfect without the heater option....yes I wear them without shoes and go outside too. LOL. Mine will take a queen size comforter with no problem...that's what I use for Lucy's blanket and it gets washed weekly.

As far as CR or the LF, people complain more than they compliment anything. My DM bought the same set about 2 years later and she has had no problems or complaints.

David

• wizardnm
    16 years ago

I have 25 YO Maytag stacking washer and dryer. The dryer belt busted a couple of years ago. I called the guy who services all the area laundromats, he replaced the belt and gave both the quick onceover. I asked him how long he thought they might last...he laughed and told me they were probably going to outlast me! I laughed, realizing he didn't mean it in a non-complimentary way, I said, "Really?" and he said, "There isn't a thing about those machines that couldn't be fixed". I hope he's still around when I do need him.
    This thread is interesting to me though... we are going to be doing a master suite upstairs and I think I want a new washer and dryer up there, keeping the old Maytags on the ground floor for the laundry there.

Nancy

• mustangs81
    16 years ago

I love my Bosch set! Not too big, efficient, cleans beautifully. I have them under counter with two slim drawers between the counter and the w&d so the counter is just the right height for comfortable folding.

• compumom
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Linda,
    FL'er are preferred for many reasons. Lowering the bills, easier on the environment and the fact that they're the "new" way of cleaning. A High Energy (HE) offers the same benefits but the washer opens from the top. You can clean larger loads and bulkier loads than with an agitator. Maytag, GE and Whirlpool all make them. Maybe Fisher Paykel too.

Keep the thoughts coming folks. As Karen would say-I'm in analysis paralysis!

• charlp
    16 years ago

thought this thread interesting...have had front loaders for over 40 years...........all the "brands" of them used to be made by Bendicts the commercial washer company...now there are all the european ones too........front loaders are know for cleaning better than top loaders because the water does not drain down through the wash.........most of the custom master bedroom laundries have front loaders as do I..not for space but usually for efficiency......just a little more to add to the mix

• triciae
    16 years ago

Just bought a new set about a month ago. We had a space consideration & since I didn't want to get involved with construction to enlarge the area, I bought a set that would fit. Decided on the Frigidaire 'Affinity'...got both the washer & dryer. They are on the 15" pedestals/drawers. I'm loving these machines. Doing laundry is so much easier. I can now wash our king-size, heavy cotton quilts with no problems. My favorite (of many) is the washer's "sterilize" cycle. I have ran all of DH's t-shirts through it & the tees smell like new which is saying a LOT! I've also ran all of our pillows through & equally pleased with the results. Another feature that useful is that the washer's cycle is timed to the dryer...meaning that if I choose a cycle that takes 43 minutes to wash...they will dry is 43 minutes as well. So, no more waiting on the dryer to finish up before adding the next load from the washer. Also, the machine weighs the clothes so I don't have to set the load size...saves on water, soap, etc. Even with the pedestals, I can still use the tops for folding (I'm 5'3"). The pedestal drawers are huge & have adjustable dividers. I've now got all of my cleaning supplies plus laundry soaps, bleach, etc. neatly stored away under the W/D. Having them on the pedestals means I don't have to bend over to haul wet towels/jeans, etc. out & visibility is so much better. Also, they have lights that turn on/off whenever the door is opened or closed so no more missing socks. I wasn't sure about the Frigidaire but since Electrolux purchased them 2 years ago...they have redesigned the entire product line. Overall, I'm very very satisfied & saved about a $1K over buying a Miele set (which wouldn't fit in my space).

Tricia

Here is a link that might be useful: Frigidaire 'Affinity'

• eandhl
    16 years ago

I am also in the market and my plan is what triciae did. It is the 3.5 cu ft Frigidaire stackables. Much as I do like the European sets I am afraid of service and the cost is so much more. By the way my Matag set is 30 yrs old and still running.

• jessyf
    16 years ago

Nancy I'm going to suggest that for your master suite you do NOT get a front loader. They usually need concrete floors because of the vibrations they can cause, and don't do well on second floors. I'd consider moving your stackers upstairs instead. Read up on 'second floor' on the Laundry room. I don't know much about the new Samsung vibration control machines but I'm very very very leery about new machines and service availability. For your area I'd go with whatever service is closest/cheapest/easiest. These d@mn machines are overpriced, prone to break, and expensive to repair.

Ellen: a deal breaker for you would be to call local appliance repair places. Ask about parts availability, their opinions about the models/brands, and how well the company supports (read: pays) them. LG is notorious on the LR forum for being great machines but horrible reliability and even worse servicing. Get an extended warranty.

LindaC, many top loaders are changing to 'high efficiency or agitatorless because of the new Jan 2007 Federal regulations. Say good-bye to what you now know as standard top loaders.

As to whether 'TL's or 'FL's clean better, that is a subject of frequent acrimonious debate on the forum. IMHO any washing machine cleans better than a rock and river, its up to you. The FLs take longer to wash but shorter to dry and hold more so its about a 'wash' (sorry about that) for time savings. They definitely use less water. That will become an issue, I predict, for droughted California.

I created a 'questionnaire' on the LR to help deal with the frequent 'whats the best washing machine' for those in analysis paralysis or who just aren't interested in reading through the forum. No one liked my idea, sniff. Hope it helps someone!

Here is a link that might be useful: Something to help you pick a machine....sort of

• msafirstein
    16 years ago

I know what you mean about the Laundry Forum, it seems as if everyone wants you to get their machines and nothing else is good enough. Also the argument about not being able to get a hot water wash is ridiculous. If I want a hot water wash in my Oasis I just turn off the cold water tap and viola HOT WATER! It drains the hot water heater but so does 2-3 daily showers and it regenerates in an hour or so anyway.

All I can say is that I love my 2 machines, Oasis and Bosch, but they are different and for specific items and they serve me well. I just had the Oasis for about a year and I was happy with just my Oasis which gets sharp criticism from the LF. But since I've had an up close relationship for more then a year now with the machine and many LF members have not...well you make the decision.

My niece bought an LG set last year and she just loves it. She is Miss Fussbudget and with a new baby too so I know the machines are doing an excellent job.

Also, I loved the F&P WM. But I needed the extra large tub of the Oasis for blankets and quilts otherwise I would have bought the F&P. I collect vintage blankets so the tub size is crucial for me.

What you need to do is make a list of what you need and then try and get the machine that will suite your personal needs...underline YOUR PERSONAL NEEDS.

Michelle

• lyndaluu2
    16 years ago

When we moved into our new house last year we bought Maytag Neptune - washer and dryer. I love them; for me it was worth the extra money.

Linda

• vicki_lv_nv
    16 years ago

I have the Maytag Neptune waaher and dryer, with the pedestal drawer on the bottom. I love them...most of the time. The only thing I really don't like is you can't soak in them. Maybe you can...I just don't know how to do it. I like that you can pick how fast you want your clothes to wash. This is my second set of these. We sold the other set with our last house. We got a killer deal on the set we have now, by buying them off the showroom floor. I am waiting for the washer to go out, so I can get a top loader. Think I will be waiting a long time though. LOL

• mustangs81
    16 years ago

Good job with your Questionnaire Jessica. I went through the same analysis paralysis when making my W & D purchase. I would have gone in a different direction if it hadn't been for the Laundry Forum.

Ellen, when you make your purchase, I'll share my "job aid" with you; it's posted above the W & D. It was necessary because DH does his own laundry and there was a learning curve issue.

• granjan
    16 years ago

The washer dryer decision last year was more painful than the WHOLE KITCHEN! I ended up with stacked Frigidarie Infinity., there was a special price3. The Europeans were too much, especially since they don't last the 20 plus years that my giant old Maytags in the basement have. They are still going strong but I have probelems with the narrow twisting stairs down there. I too wanted to put the new ones on the 2nd floor where the bedrooms are, but worried about the vibrations on my beautiful old plaster walls. ( I wanted a FL because of the water savings here in CA) I actually love havintg them by the kitchen, makes doing laundry much easier since that the room I spend the most time in! Mine doesn't really do loads as big as my old Maytags and because of where we had to put them they are a PITA to ever get unstacked! So I continue to do heavy rugs and blankets that create lots of fuzz in the basement. But the the Frigidaires are fine, and I love using less water. The dryer settings are less flexible than my Maytag, but I am figuring it out.

• compumom
    Original Author
    16 years ago

So you can't soak in any of the FL'ers?
    Jessy- good questionaire, if I could make up my mind!
    Cathy, I'd love to see the job list. I'll also make a copy for DD.
    BTW I asked her today about her Samsung FL'ers She' likes them but has a couple of caveats-- She says when her kitchen towels become damp they have a metallic smell. She also thinks there are some spots appearing on some items. Keep in mind she probably has never thoroughly read the directions, just flies by the seat of her pants! I noticed that Jayden's socks were a bit grey colored and mentioned that she should try the super hot wash and see if that cleared up the smell and brightened the whites. She said that she'll give it a try.
    I still think I want a top loader, but we'll see. It has to be flat and I really don't want the tall pedestals, I loose too much space for staging and folding. Arrrgh!

• Kay
    16 years ago

I always take my comforters and large blankets to a laundromat so I can use the large size front loader there. If and when I get a new washer, I'm thinking I'll go for an FL just so there will be no more laundromat trips. . .

• jessyf
    16 years ago

So you can't soak in any of the FL'ers?

Of course you can. Depends on the model. For example, some of the Boschs will have a 'Soak' option, and some will have 'Rinse and spin' in the same spot on the dial. The next model up might have both.

Some models soak, turn the drum occassionaly to tumble the clothes, and then go into a preprogramed cycle to finish the wash. Others sit and wait for your next command.

This would fall under 'how do you do laundry' party of the questionnaire. Start looking at dials and buttons and then manuals to see if you see things you REALLY need or thought you need vs. don't need. For example, do you think you would want 'drain and spin' or 'rinse and spin'?

Vicki, if you post your Maytag model # on the LR, or search for it along with 'soak', I bet you'll get help. Best thing is to read your manual or look for it online. If you start another thread on conversations I'll see what I can do (but Paney camp is coming up so no promises!).

Here is a link that might be useful: 'soak' on the LR

• mustangs81
    16 years ago

My Bosch FL has a soak option.

Now, if I could only get DH to use the soak feature for his coaching and his team's uniforms. I wash his entire college team's uniforms at the beginning of each season. Obviously they (or their parents) don't have the laundry equipment or skills to keep the unies bright white.

• kframe19
    16 years ago

Amana washer with the stainless steel drum.

GE dryer (OLD).

• compumom
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Fisher Paykel has their new Ecosmart washer/dryer combo on sale? at Lowe's this week for $899. It's a top loading high efficiency machine w/o an agitator. I'm sorely tempted...

• annie1992
    16 years ago

I have an old Admiral 20 washing machine that I bought 30 years ago or so. It's still going strong and has never had a repair although it has washed baby clothes for both my girls and Makayla, done Dave's work clothes, all my stuff and Ashley's current endless round of laundry, plus swimming pool towels for several dozen teenaged visitors through the years. I've replaced a couple of dryers but my repair guy says I should NEVER get rid of the Admiral, it'll last "forever". I like that....

Current dryer is a really old, hand me down and free GE. It works, and Elery just replaced the door latch so I don't have to prop it shut with a chair any more. It works. (shrug) When it stops working I'll buy something else, but not until then, I'm hoping it lasts until Ashley is out of college and the tuition bills stop!

Annie

• Tracey_OH
    16 years ago

We just got the most basic GE frontloader that you can buy. It works so well that I can't imagine how a machine that literally costs twice as much or more could clean that much better. There is definitely a learning curve with a front loader, but I've been very pleased with ours.

Annie, they just don't build stuff like they used to, do they? I'll be thrilled if I get 10 years out of this machine. Our last washer was a Kenmore which only lasted 6 years.

• kframe19
    16 years ago

My Amana just passed its 12 or 13th birthday and is still doing fine.

Bought it at Monkey Ward, IIRC.

Sponsored
Ngrained Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Custom Woodworking, Décor, and More in Franklin County