SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mommy2nk

Air Switch on/off? and demo story..

mommy2nk
11 years ago

My kitchen is in the demo phase, lots of fun stuff going on there!! When they removed my existing cabinets a balloon of water (held by the paint) formed where the screw holes were. It was really strange. My contractor popped the balloon but another one form underneath. Water continuously leaked from that area. There is a bathroom directly above and so I took him to check out the toliet. When we flushed the toilet the worker downstairs said water gushed out. We turned the toilet off until the next day (water stopped). They came back ripped open the wall to see that there was in fact two screw holes in the waste pipe. The old cabinets had actually been secured to the waste pipe and not the stud for the last 13 years. We were able to conclude that the screws acted as a stop because there was no water damage beyond what had just taken place. We did have water damage/mold from an old roof leak that the cabinets harbored. I need a new toilet upstairs since water was leaking non-stop from the screw holes and apparently since it is a waste line that should only happen upon flushing. My first reaction was, that's what happens when houses are just slapped together and my second GROSS!!! So that is my fun story on to my question!

I have been considering having an air switch put in for my garbage disposal. I purchased the Insinkerator Evolution Select Plus (Home Depot). I am not familiar with air switches and wanted to know if there is an off mode. I have had to quickly turn off disposals before to get objects out. Once you push the button is that it or can you quickly turn it off?

Thanks so much!

Comments (5)