SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brightm

Air switch and air gap question

brightm
9 years ago

Air switch:
I've never experienced an air switch. GC suggested it. I thought it sounded like a great idea. DH, not so much. The switch to our garbage disposal is on the wall perpendicular to the sink (most likely because it's an interior wall, the sink is on an exterior masonry wall). I can reach over to it okay while at the sink. Maybe it takes a step. The only time it's an issue now is if I have the old-fashioned pull-out cutting board out. Then I'm not tall enough to lean and reach over it. But that will be gone, so...non-issue.

If you have an air switch, love it? Like it? Regret it?
Also, I'm concerned about the finish. We're getting a nice KWC, all stainless HEAVY faucet. I'm afraid if I go with a HD stainless switch it will feel and possibly look 'off balance' with the heft/fit/finish of the faucet.

Air gap:
I know lots of places don't have them, but both my handyman and GC have said they don't do installs without them. I'm assuming they're code here, but I never got a straight answer to that question. MIL said when she had her new granite in her last kitchen, she didn't get one. But when it came time for the new DW, no one would install it without an air gap. (Don't know what she eventually did). And while I was set to go without one, all this coupled with it saving our bacon on our old DW because a hose was kinked, I've decided it's cheap insurance. DH, once again, feels the opposite on this.

Assuming we get an air gap (and keep it installed, I know the 'switch it out after inspection' option) I'd like it to look better than my shiny coated plastic job from HD.

I've ordered a Blanco stainless (polished nickel?) one since it was on sale and can be delivered with my sink and faucet this week and I can return it no harm/no foul. But I don't love it. I just like it better than any I've seen in person. It was $38.

I kind of love the one linked below from Waterstone. But it seems sort of crazy to pay about $160 for something I'm not even sure I truly need. Then again, if it is going to sit on my counter 'forever', I want it to look as good as possible and I think it would look the best with my faucet. And in the big scheme of things, it's not a huge difference.

I saw and dismissed the matching air switch. It's over $200. Every other one I've seen seems virtually identical and cheap. But I just don't think I can swallow this one.

What would you do on these matters?

Here is a link that might be useful: Waterstone 3020-ss

Comments (20)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022