SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
doodlevw

Help, In-Law Troubles and Need some Advice

doodlevw
12 years ago

I will try to make sense of the issue and any advice would be great, because I am lost on what to do.

Here is a little background: My fiance' and I were together living as a married couple for 6 years and because of things we both did, we separated for about 1 1/2 years. We got back together and worked everything out and have been better than ever. The entire time we were together I got along GREAT with his entire family. No problems at all and they were hurt by our split because almost more than we were.

After we got back together we decided that we were going to get married. His mother cried tears of joy, his dad was very happy and his brother didn't have an issue. Since we are both bringing things into the marriage we agreed on getting a prenup done. What my fiance' proposed was we each keep our property and split martial property 50/50. The family has a farm that I do not and have never wanted. They wanted it in the prenup that I did not want land, payments from the land, oil rights etc. to that at any point in time. I agreed 110%, its not mine, I don't deserve it. The agreement was to have spousal support and that I got nothing of my fiances' in the event of his death (even after 20 years). That was all of his attorneys idea.

I met with my attorney and he said that I should get spousal support, land payments, items of my fiances in the event of death and other things. I said no to it all execpt for his personal property. I did say that instead of 50/50 that if its under 15 years when we get divorced, whoever files only gets 25% of the martial property worth.

Fast forward a couple days and all hell breaks loose. His family wanted me to have nothing of his if he dies. NOTHING. They didn't want me to have the land/paymens/income ( I didn't want it anyway). The family, mostly his brother has now convinced his parents that I want his house in the divorce, spousal support and part of the farm. His brother has made up several lies, called me on the phone and said nasty, nasty things, got his mother lying to me, his dad won't speak to me and the text messages from the brother are unreal. I kept my mouth shut with the family until I completely lost it after I was called a money grubbing b*tch, a wh*re, a dependant woman, my kids are worthless and I am a piece of white trash. After that I couldn't take it anymore. THE BEST PART??? I even invited his MOTHER on our honeymoon! The woman has worked hard every day of her life and has never been anywhere. She wanted to be there when her son got married and so I begged my fiance' to let her come to Vegas for the wedding and for her to be able to have fun. Who does that???

Now, the family is at war, I was supposed to be married 2 days ago, I cancelled everything and I, ME, JUST ME, paid for all deposits, paid for the cost of the wedding that didn't happen and they are still cussing me and the brother just won't stop. I know that I am not in the wrong won bit. I have given up alot to show them I do not want their money or anything else. I am moving out of my home to move into his house that is half the size, I've had to get rid of/sell/give away 90% of my things because he doesn't have the room plus everything in the prenup and they just won't stop.

The worst part is the position that my fiance' is in. He is stuck between me and his family and its not fair at all and I feel horrible about it. He still wants to get married, but I do not want to be a part of that family at all.

Here is a small recap:

His Attorneys Idea

50/50 split of martial property

in event of divorce

no spousal support

nothing in the event of death

(finance' disagreed)

No land/payments/income

My idea:

before 15 years

25% of martial for the

one that files, 50%

No spousal support

His personal property upon his death, (which he wants me to have all of it)

No land payments/income/rights anything

I did also want to put in the death part that if we are separated and filing for divorce that I receive nothing.

I make more than he does and my house is worth more. I have never depended on a man and am more than capable of taking care of everything in the house etc. I work 40+ hours a week.

DOES THIS MAKE SENSE THAT THEY WOULD DO THIS TO ME???? I was being more than fair and they are treating me like I did something wrong. They are ALL about me wanting the land and they have been told 150+ times (no lie) that I do not want it.

WHAT CAN I DO??

Comments (26)

Sponsored