SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jillkins

Should I get white or dark walnut cabinetry with my oak? see pics

jillkins
15 years ago

I recently finished a partial remodel of my kitchen by getting dark granite and stainless steel appliances. However, I realized that I cannot stand our light oak cabinets. We have oak cabinets, oak floors, and oak trim. I just feel like there is no interest.

I am seriously considering all new cabinets. The cabinets would have the same exact configuration and footprint as the current kitchen, but they would go all the way up to the ceiling. Here are my options:

1. My top option is white or cream cabinetry. I love white cabinetry, but I am wondering if I do white cabinets, what do I do with my trim, doors, entertainment center and fireplace that are all oak. I would also like to do white baseboard and window trim, but if I do, can I leave the the nice natural color blinds and solid oak doors? Or should I should get white cabinets and not do any white trim work? We have a really open floor plan and I start white trim, I think I would have to carry it through the main and upper level.

2. My second option is to do dark cabinetry, possibly walnut.

As an fyi, I am also saving up for new light fixtures and a dark wood kitchen table. I have also been told by my granite company that the granite can be uninstalled and reinstalled if I choose to get new cabinetry - that is why I haven't completed the tile backsplash yet.

I am open to all of your wonderful ideas, and don't worry about criticism, I want your opinions!!!

Comments (23)