SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beekeeperswife_gw

My curtains don't make me HAPPY

beekeeperswife
13 years ago

I have not posted the "Finished Living Room" photos because I just can't do the big reveal. I wanted to have my curtains run from wall to wall. Unfortunately, by using the wood rod that we had and the finials, I can't get them to go to wall.

So, since it's not like they are permanently attached to the wall and I can change them if necessary, what do you think? Does it look as ridiculous to you as it does to me? My dh thinks it's fine.

If it is odd looking, can you suggest a curtain rod for me to use? Here are the parameters: It is 12' long, and I can't do a center support (can have extra support about 39" from each end, right before the window starts.

So here you go, it really is the one thing that I'm the least proud of in all my decorating.

Thanks for your help.

Bee

The photo is from before they were steamed, so ignore the wrinkles.

Now, on the other hand, here is something I am proud of in this room. I took an old bookcase that had glass doors, and had the glass company install mirrors in it. I've stored all my cookbooks in there! We used to use this cabinet as a display cabinet for crystal but this is perfect!

{{!gwi}}

Comments (49)

• dazzlemewithcolor
    13 years ago

First of all, you have put again ANOTHER fabulous space. You are so inspiring (btw I am planning on painting my kitchen cabs with your instructions) and think you do an incredible job. I know what you are wanting to do, but honestly, I think this looks wonderful. If you really don't like it, why don't you just remove the end and replace it with some copper or iron fitting from the hardware store (I've done this once), there are several sizes. You can paint it to match, but you know how to do that already! :)

• nicole__
    13 years ago

Your decorating talent is endless!!!! Love what you've shown in these pics!!!!!

• Related Discussions

My Roses don't grow and don't bloom

Q

Comments (12)
    Hi Seil, I agree with the above comments. One thing I didn't see mentioned is pH. Have you done a pH test? Roses prefer slightly acidic. 6.5 is ideal. Will still be happy in 6.3 to 6.8 range. You can buy a cheap pH Test Kit at any garden store. Some of the drug stores have them too. If your pH is too high or too low, it will lock up the nutrients so your roses can't get to them . . . even though you are feeding your roses. Water was mentioned as well. Rule of thumb is 2-3 gallons of water per week. Depending on the season and your climate, they may need more. Deep watering is best. Meaning don't water a little every day. (I made this mistake in the beginning). We want to encourage roots to go deep into the soil. Therefore, it's better to water twice or three times a week for a longer period. Also good to check the drainage. Roses don't like "wet feet". Easiest way to do this is to dig a hole (6" should do). Fill it with water either in the morning or evening. If the water has not drained within a few hours, you have a drainage issue. Can add 1/3 perlite or sand to help with this. It's a lot of info we've given you. It's hard to tell offhand what the issue is. Might be a combination. Just need to eliminate things one at a time. Hope this helps. Melanie
    ...See More

Hate my GE Harmony - don't want to make mistake again.

Q

Comments (2)
    Check the Bravos models, be sure to get one with an onboard heater. I run most of my laundry on the bulky cycle because it uses the most water and sprays water over the load to saturate everything. I still save water over a non-HE model, but my clothes are clean. They only get really tangled (as you describe) if I have a really big load. I always use the second rinse and dump a detergent bottle of plain water on the load before starting a cycle. This makes the washer "think" there's a bigger load, so I get plenty of water to wash in. I might not be saving as much water as what some people feel is best, but my loads are truly clean and completely rinsed. No detergent residue for me. Good luck on your quest and let us know your decision.
    ...See More

If you don't ovulate, you don't make progesterone

Q

Comments (6)
    This is a message for POPCORNHAZEL - it has come to our attention you are using the Natural Progesterone Advisory Network as a foundation endorsing your comments on this message board. For the record, please let it be understood NPAN DOES NOT recommend women use medication other than how it is prescribed by your treating physician. Further, we ENCOURAGE women to implement progesterone replacement therapy under the guidance of their treating healthcare professional. Natural Progesterone Advisory Network (NPAN) http://www.natural-progesterone-advisory-network.com 'NPAN ... helping women use progesterone cream with confidence' Here is a link that might be useful: Natural Progesterone Advisory Network
    ...See More

UPDATE:Remember the curtains that weren't making me happy?

Q

Comments (12)
    missmary, oh yeah, I forgot about the sheers dilemma. I did add them, they are behind the panels, Only to be used when I'm feeling like I'm in a fishbowl. I used a wire system from Ikea. The wire runs between the blind and the panels. Works perfectly for what I need. probookie, fyi the chair are from West Elm, they are the Elephant chairs. Love the name.
    ...See More
  • Kathleen McGuire
    13 years ago

I can only empathize because something like that would bug me too, lol! You can buy end caps for rods that go on the end instead of a finial. It is much flatter and might just make this work!

• lisa_mocha
    13 years ago

I have no suggestions for your curtains, I think they look great as is.

I wanted to add also that I think your room is gorgeous and I so love what you did with that cabinet!!
    It's fabulous!! Great idea:)
    I'm loving what I can see of the room that's in behind this one too:)

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the kind words everybody.

The problem with the curtain rod/finial is that it has one of those wooden holder things that is about an inch wide too. That cannot hide under the curtain even if I made the rod longer and dropped the finials, so I'm just stumped.

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

It looks nice, but its not what you are going for. Can you just remove the finial? If this rod expands a bit just run it to the corner with the end bare, or get a cap as has been suggested.

If you wanted the look to be more "solid" you could also cheat by coming in a couple inches from the corner and painting the wall white behind the panels--IF they stay put.

I have done some things that sound odd but have worked behind a full wall treatment, namely, painted slider trim the wall color so it didn't telegraph through the sheers; painted the window walls in an all white apartment dark brown to match the metal window frames and make it all go away.

• amysrq
    13 years ago

Well, I am not in love with the look. I know what you are after and that doesn't quite do it. A bandaid fix might be to replace the finial with a glass one. That way the glob of dark finial would be mitigated. But, you still have the sliver of corner showing.

Hmmmm.....time for new hardware?

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    13 years ago

you scare me pal. I thought the same things. were we separated at birth?

The rod is wood, and I have been a bit creative already. What you don't see is that there is an 8' rod centered on the window, and then there are two almost 2' wide pieces on each end, attached with those little double screw things used to join two pieces. I can get another small pole, cut it a little longer for each side.

But....what do I do at the end to hold the pole up? The holder for this pole is still 1" wide. Do you think I should cut the end of the curtain and just tuck it somehow?

I suppose I could paint the holder white like the curtain and it wouldn't stick out. But you might see the greeen still. hmmmm

Here is a close up photo, yes there is still a bit of room, but that is needed in order to get the rod up there.

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

The valances in my parents house are on rods and there is a center support that is just like a big L shaped "Hook" and you just kinda make sure its stuck into a fold. Maybe you could get something like that for the end.

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

Just a basic metal fastener. If you can get one big enough.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hook

• rmkitchen
    13 years ago

It's fun the way your purple throw pillows mimic the petals of the framed flower photos above!

I wonder if you wouldn't be happier with your curtains attaching with pins or rings instead of being pushed through a rod -- that would be a *much* cleaner, more linear, modern look. I am not familiar with your decorating but this is based on what I am intuiting from your photos above.

What about a curved rod? We have one in our dining room because I wanted the drapes to go clear through, no finial, no space between end of wall / curtain. There actually is a 1" space but with the curtain pulled around the corner there is no "waste," no empty space.

*Of course* what you have is fine as is! I'm only noticing and commenting because you pointed it out and asked us to.

• dawnp
    13 years ago

I would take the finial off, extend the rod all the way so it butts up to the wall as you mentioned and then just cut a slit in the back of the curtain rod pocket to fit over the bracket. If it shows through, yes, you could paint it white. I think it will work perfectly.

Great room! You are very talented.

• theresa2
    13 years ago

Could you use something like this?

Here is a link that might be useful: Closet Rod Holder

• ppas
    13 years ago

Beautiful space! For the windows, I think what you need is a tension rod that will span the width of your wall or a valence rod, in which the ends of the rod bends back to the wall so your curtains can wrap around. In either case, you won't see any rod.

• charley526
    13 years ago

My BIL had this same exact situation in his home. His Interior Decorator (that he paid $$$$$$ for) did exactly what dawnp suggested. I inspected it and sure enough, they cut a slit on the backside of the rod pocket to accommodate the bracket. An easy work-around that could work for you!
    Beautiful room!

• gwbr54
    13 years ago

If you want perfect, you probably need to change the hardware. You could do a ceiling-mounted rod, or one of those stiff wire type and hang sheers with clips or rings (as rmkitchen suggested). If you're out-of-oomph, I'd take pal's suggestion about white paint for the pole, brackets, and slivers of window wall. Great looking room, and because of that, it would bother me to no end to leave it as-is.

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

To riff off Theresa2's suggestion which is great, I remembered these brackets from Hardware hut that come in different diameters so you might be able to find exactly what you need.

Here is a link that might be useful: Railing flanges at Hardware Hut

• htnspz
    13 years ago

If the rod going to the top will eliminate the frilliness above the rod, then I agree they should be changed.

• dianalo
    13 years ago

Try Dawn's idea. I got here late and was set to post that but she got here first, lol....
    I'd paint the rod white anyway. It won't be showing on purpose this way, so might as well camouflage it.

I love the purple pillow too.. not floral but mimicking the photos...sneaky ;) I may have to steal that idea.... love the glass cab turned mirror front too... I have a feeling that when I have final pictures to post, you will see your ideas spread throughout my house, lol....

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    13 years ago

So many excellent ideas. Since tomorrow obviously will be a day at home for me since I think there is 14" of snow on my deck right now and it is still snowing like all get out, I will need to look at lots of these hardware suggestions more carefully. (Thunder Snow....yeah it's nuts out there)

I was just down in the basement with my dh, working on putting up insulation on the walls (that's a lot of fun) and I was asking about plumbing hardware...a flange! Looks a lot like the curtain hardware that you guys posted.

It is important to remember that this is a rod spanning 12 feet, with 8 panels on it. This sucker is heavy. Very heavy. I like the idea of the tension wire, but I have to check the weight limitations. I wonder how heavy these curtains are.

These are rod pocket panels, they are the same ones (different color) that I have in my family room/kitchen. I didn't want to do the rings because you would see the green above the rod and it would ruin my illusion of a big window wall. My woven roman shade is mounted up at the ceiling, and it is only as wide as the window. It's all smoke and mirrors.

So thanks so much for the ideas, I am trying to explain to my dh what exactly is driving me nuts about these curtains.

I'm off to take the dogs out....poor babies, we got 6" this am and have gotten over 10" more since 6pm. This is nuts.... The dogs are little. No fun.

• User
    13 years ago

beekeeperswife - are you my neighbor? We also got 6" this morning, even though they kept saying just a dusting to an inch or two on the news, and a ton more this evening that is still going, and it's been thundering and lightening, which is just so weird. Are you in NJ?

I do not have any suggestions for your curtains, but I hope you find a solution. I can see how that would drive you crazy, but your room is beautiful (as always)!

• rushmom3
    13 years ago

Oh it is just stunning!!! I love your room! Your pillows, that table, I could go on and on.

Can I ask you what type of blind you have on that window? I have a large window similar to that and love the look you've created.

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi jill, close but no. In SE PA. Fox news actually mentioned our little borough last night and named it The Bullseye. I have no idea how much is out there. I know we have a deck that has 3 steps to the ground, the snow is even with the top of the deck. I think we could lose a dog or two out there!

rushmom, I love this blind. In fact this is my 3rd. I have one in my family room and one over my slider in the kitchen. Same look, mounted at the ceiling. They are from JCPenneys, not custom. Mine are the dark walnut. If you watch for sales, free shipping, etc you can get a great deal. The one in the living room cost me $32! It is 72" wide.

I have done my usual "dream about the space" last night. I have come up with a possible hardware solution. First need to lenghthen the pole somehow. Second, I am going to fashion 2 L brackets to form one piece of hardware. They will basically make an "S". One part against the wall, then the jut out to hold the pole, then the UP part to hold the pole from rolling off. I already have the L Brackets hidden under the pole for additional support, so this will be just one more step.

Gosh, I wish there wasn't so much snow out there....I really need to get to Lowe's!

• jerseygirl_1
    13 years ago

I did not read through all the posts but the issue I see is with the style drape more than the rod. It's traditional the way they are hung with the gathering on the rod. How about sewing rings to the panels. Clip rings will drop the the drape too much.

Your room came out beautiful. Love the wall color.

• amysrq
    13 years ago

What about tracks mounted to the ceiling? You could sew the curtains right to the little carriers and lose the gathered look.

Here is a link that might be useful: without the alligator clips

• loribee
    13 years ago

No help...but the room is stunning, esp the mirrored cab.

• User
    13 years ago

bkw - my DD is near King of Prussia, so probably close to you. This snow is just crazy. It is almost up to the sill of my kitchen window. When is spring?

Sounds like your plan might work. Hope you can get out to the store later today.

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    13 years ago

amy, I thought about a ceiling system. My issue is if it will look odd in front of the blind. With the dark rod, it sort of blends in. If I do the ceiling track system, I would have something on the ceiling in front of the blind.

Great ideas though from everybody.

I understand that the rod pockets aren't "modern" but I already have them in the other rooms and I felt switching styles to rings or grommets would make the others look outdated. I'd rather not do that. Unless you guys think they look really bad.

Here they are in the other rooms;
    not the best photos

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• bostonpam
    13 years ago

We've used Theresa2 and palimpsest's suggestions on 2 sets of curtains to cover a big area to keep the cold out. I bought my brackets at HD and if the size works it's much cheaper than on line. I also used a heavy duty closet bar. If your wood bar can't take the weight maybe a metal bar (painted if needed).

• ttodd
    13 years ago

Sorry no tips on the curtains. Couldn't get beyond the photo's from a magazine that you posted :)

• katrina_ellen
    13 years ago

You just had the room painted and already its done! I'm no art historian but your rooms remind me of an art deco style, dramatic, glamorous and sophisticated. The colors just look great together. Sorry I am no help with the curtain hardware.

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

I think the brown rod blends into to shades.

The rod pocket works in your house I think; its not quite as sleek as ceiling mounted ripplefold, but the little frill seems to work well for me...it fits in with some of the other subtle embellishments, imo.

I did ripplefold here...this is the one with the brown window wall. Its a little "tighter" and more modern than what you are going for I think.

• amysrq
    13 years ago

The country curtains ceiling tack comes in black. It is pretty minimal. You'd have to snug it right up to the shade, but it sounds like you and DH are adept at DIY and could certainly handle it.

I also failed to mention earlier how much I love that cabinet. I have a large Chip-style bookcase that I inherited from my grandmother. My husband keeps sheet music in it and it is visually a mess. Mirrors would be a great solution!

• Carol_from_ny
    13 years ago

I think thersea2 has the perfect solution. Using the closet rod holder to mount the ends of the rod will allow the curtains to go all the way to the wall PLUS they will hold the weight easily.
    Lovely job on the room.

• onedog3cats
    13 years ago

Sorry, but I have no advice about your curtains.

Would you mind sharing the paint color?? Your room is stunning!!

• gigib_08
    13 years ago

Bee- I don't have a solution to the drapes, but wanted to say the look great to me! If my rooms looked half as good as yours after decorating I would be on cloud 9. Everything looks gorgeous!

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    13 years ago

onedog3cats, the color is BM Wasabi.

Thanks for the compliments everybody. You are very kind.

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    13 years ago

Nothing to add on the drapes but I'll voice it again...those are glorius rooms!
    Love the cookbook cab too!

• dee42
    13 years ago

Take "L" brackets, install them on the wall, then rest the rod on top of the "L" brackets -- and put a screw into the rod through the hole in the "L" bracket. This allows you to put the rod anywhere you want on the brackets. I'd suggest you put the rod wall-to-wall -- it will give you a more "finished" look rather than having a bit of wall showing behind the rod. End caps on the rod will definitely give you a more modern, clean look than the finials. I use the "L" bracket method for installing all my rods -- much less costly than having to buy brackets which never seem to "fit" the rod anyway. Hopefully you'll figure out the draperies, as they are the finishing touch to you room.

• regina_phalange
    13 years ago

I'm no help for a solution but just wanted to day that the room looks gorgeous!!! Drool worthy :).

• redbazel
    13 years ago

Your cabinet with the mirrored doors is super cool and it gives me an idea for one I've been unhappy with. I think I now know what to do to make it work.
    Always love your rooms and was also happy to read about your JCP shade. I've been playing with some shades too and that may be the fix I want. I never go into Penneys anymore even though they are very close to my house. Will check it out.

The wall would be fine if it wasn't yours. I don't know how else to say it. We all have stuff where we make do or just don't get the decorating quite right but choose to live with it. I would be disappointed if you chose to live with it. I hope some of the ideas thrown out here now will make it right. Your DH will never know the difference, but your eye will always find those drapes annoying if you don't.

Palimpsest....I just caught an older thread where you posted on Pink and showed the other side of that same bedroom with the deep pink pillow in an otherwise masculine bedroom. I thought that was genius. Now, this side of the room I see and it rocks too. Lovely. Great job.

Red

• Arapaho-Rd
    13 years ago

Just had to chime in and say what a pretty room and beautiful home you have! I'm fascinated with your decorating skill and how you are able to put a room together so fast. I'm here 6 years later after moving in and still not done! As far as the rod/finial showing, I actually like the touch of black showing.

• annzgw
    13 years ago

Same suggestion as dee42's. I've used the L-brackets and screws for hanging drapes and it's a quick easy solution! You won't need the lip on the front edge!

Just make sure the bracket is heavy enough to carry the weight!

• youngdeb
    13 years ago

The rooms are really pretty, that case looks fantastic with the mirrors.

I think the ceiling track could look very good there, but you'd really want to make sure that they are installed so they can take the weight of the curtains. You'd need to attach them to studs. I honestly believe that's the best solution for that space, but that's just me. I really don't like those pocket curtains, both the way they look and the way they function.

We've used recmar track several times and always had great luck.

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    13 years ago

You know, I posted a new thread with UPDATE in front of it so that I could share the outcome. Just in case you missed it, here it is. Sorry the photo isn't so great. Very difficult to get a shot of curtains around a big window.

{{!gwi}}

• rushmom3
    13 years ago

Love it love it!!

• debo_2006
    13 years ago

Beekeeperswife:

Love your decorating style. I'm curious about those gorgeous taupe chairs in the pic. Can you share some info about them (manufacturer, where bought, and anything else)? Are they comfortable?

I'm in SE PA (20 mins from KofP) in case they were bought local.

Thanks.

• loribee
    13 years ago

Fabulous!!

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey debbi, Those are my West Elm Chairs. They are leather, the color is, are you ready for this? Elephant. And guess what...that is exactly what the color reminds me of!

They are pretty comfy, otherwise Beekeeper would never go for them. He has visions of reading with a cup of coffee in every chair I bring home. So, they have to pass that test.

I ended up bidding on and winning a 20% coupon from eBay to West Elm. That saved me a bundle, plus they were on sale when I bought them. I would actually love to have 4 in there in a circle, and no desk/hutch. But that isn't happening in this house. A girl can dream.

Here is a link that might be useful: Elephant Chair

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer