SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rivkadr

Dry red wine for cooking?

rivkadr
15 years ago

I'm going to be making some tomato sauce tonight, and the recipe calls for a dry red wine. I don't drink wine, and I have no clue what makes wine dry, or even what I should be looking for. What can I get from my local grocery store that would be suitable for cooking with that will be easy to find, and cheap?

Also, once I open it, how long will it be good for? I hate buying something for one recipe, and then never using it again.

Comments (13)

• mimsic
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

The rule about wine in cooking is if its not good enough to drink its not good enough for cooking.

Go to the local wine store and ask for help choosing an inexpensive dry red that will be nice in the tomato sauce. You can serve it with the meal for those who do drink wine and re-cork it with one of those nifty rubber corks that the wine store will also sell. You need to purchase the tool too. It looks like a plunger but actually pulls the air out of the bottle and helps to keep the wine fresh a little longer than if you just push the original cork back in.

• gardenguru1950
    15 years ago

My favorite red wines for adding to tomato sauces are Chianti (Italian) and Rioja (Spanish). Both are excellent multi-purpose wines that are good in any dish that calls for "dry red wine" or drinking as is.

I never buy the high-end, expensive versions. Conversely, I stay away from the cheap stuff. Somewhere in the middle works best.

If well corked and refrigerated (not something usually done for red wines), the wine will last up to two months and can be used in a lot of different dishes (would you like some recipes?).

"I love to cook with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food."
    Joe

• Related Discussions

sorta cooking---wine selection

Q

Comments (30)
    Chacun a son gout, Linda. Would anyone ever compare a Woodbridge Zinfandel with a premier grand cru? Of course not. I judge inexpensive wines on the lack of offensiveness. While I certainly don't expect greatness in this price range, I find it pleasant and drinkable; your mileage may vary. One problem with most red wines is that the finer ones do require aging to allow the tannins to become less astringent. Aging costs money, and a lot of reds are on the market before they reach their peak. A too-young red is often responsible for people saying, "I don't like red wine." On a related note, the man who introduced the Zinfandel grape to California was a colorful Hungarian immigrant named Agostin Harasthzy. He was the first Sheriff of San Diego. He died from being eaten by alligators in Nicaragua in 1869.
    ...See More

Substitute for wine recommended by Cook's Illustrated a few years

Q

Comments (9)
    Ditto on Vermouth (mom used it long before Julia Child popularized it for cooking) I also keep Sherry, Madiera or Port on hand to add when the recipe or marinade requires it. Unsweetened grape juice, actually the must is called Verjus. It's not as easy to locate, but a good sub for some recipes. I also keep a variety of vinegars on hand including fig, balsamic (white & red), orange & other fruits, rice vinegar, red & white wine vinegar and the more common white & cider vinegar. Another idea for cooking wines is to buy those half bottles which have screw tops and keep easily in the fridge between uses.
    ...See More

Using wine in cooking...101

Q

Comments (25)
    Chicken breasts in white wine... I pack boneless chicken breasts, with or without the skin, and some skinny slices of onion, into a heavy sauce pan, and cover with white wine....I like a fruity sweet wine...like a Rhine wine auschlase... spatelease...sweet. If you have snuggled the chicken close, it should only take about a cup...maybe less to cover the chicken. Set at a simmer and cook until the chicken is no longer pink, don't over cook. Then in a skillet melt some butter....couple of tablespoons, and brown the cooked chicken at a fairly hot temp. They should brown but nor burn, when they are brown, remove to a platter and keep warm, add 1/2 the cooking liquid/wine and deglace the pan....fairly hot temp...s.tir up the browned bits....mix 2 tsps of corn starch with the rest of the cooking liquid and add to the fry pan....with the onions....and cook until thickened....add the chicken back to warm and serve with the sauce. You can add some fruit...like dried apricots or pineapple to the wine poaching liquid if you wish....and though I haven't tried it, I think some coconut might be good in there somewhere. Linda C
    ...See More

cooking wines (list style)

Q

Comments (37)
    No "jessyf", you guys haven't scared me off. Yes, I am well aware that most red wines go with red meats, and most white wines go with white meats/fish/seafood. Yeah, I'm still new to cooking with wines, but most of the ones I've tried out so far have been really awful, with an exception of a few. Sure, I might have my own tastes, but hopefully this will help narrow it down a little bit... 1) Looking for a dry / sweet red wine which won't be too tannic/sour when reduced into a sauce for a red meat dish. Specifically Italian/French RED wines... 2) Looking for a more full body/flavored WHITE wine. I've been using only Riesling so far (because it works well). I mainly do chicken dishes, and rarely any SEAFOOD, because family members are allergic to those things. 3) I am NOT looking for a white wine for FISH, other than Salmon. I have a different way of cooking fish, and various kinds (ocean fish only).
    ...See More
  • Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    15 years ago

For tomato sauce I usually use a cheap Cabernet Sauvignon. It has more flavor than a Merlot when cooked. I usually get Sutter, Barefoot or Gallo. They all are around $5 for a bottle and perfectly acceptable/good for cooking.

• compumom
    15 years ago

Another choice is a mini bottle of wine. If I needed a type of wine for a specific recipe I bought one of these that came in a four pack at the grocery store. It was always fine for cooking. I agree with the other posters, but if you don't need more than a cup of wine and don't want leftovers, this way gives you an alternative.

• mimsic
    15 years ago

I am with gardenguru1950. There is nothing like a chianti for spaghetti sauce. It has good flavor that will warm and enrich the tomatoes. Some of the lighter wines I think would just get lost in the sauce.

With left over wine in the fridge this could be the start of some interesting experiments in cooking for you. And you never know, someone might stop by and ask for a sip of wine.

Yes, gardenguru, send some recipes!

• jimtex
    15 years ago

I do like Ellen. I'm not a wine drinker so I buy the four packs. I like the taste of Pinot Grigio and Merlot so I buy those and just polish off any left overs. I'm going to try the chiante in spaghetti sauce, that sounds good.

• gardenguru1950
    15 years ago

BEEF, BURGUNDY STYLE

Servings: 4

Ingredients

1 cup beef broth
    3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    1 tablespoon tomato paste
    1 teaspoon beef demi-glace
    3 tablespoons bacon drippings
    2 pounds beef round, cut into 3 inch pieces
    3 tablespoons sherry wine
    1 1/2 cups chopped onions
    1 cup Burgundy wine

Herb Bouquet (Bouquet Garni)
    3 sprigs fresh parsley
    3 sprigs fresh rosemary
    1 sprig fresh thyme
    1 bay leaf

12 fresh mushrooms, sliced
    1/4 cup butter
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley, for garnish

Directions

In a small bowl, mix together beef broth, flour, tomato paste and demi glace; set aside.

Heat bacon drippings in a large heavy skillet over medium heat. Add beef, and cook until brown on all sides. Remove beef from skillet; set aside.

Stir the sherry wine into the skillet. Add the onions, and cook about 5 minutes.

Blend in the tomato paste mixture, and bring to a rapid boil, stirring constantly.

Stir in Burgundy wine.

Make the herb bouquet: Place parsley, rosemary, thyme, and bay leaf in a square of cheesecloth. Place herb bouquet in sauce.

Return beef to skillet. Cover, and simmer over low heat for about 3 hours, or until beef is tender.

Melt butter in a small skillet over medium heat. Sautmushrooms until lightly browned.

Add to meat in the skillet, and continue cooking 15 minutes. Discard bouquet garni.

Serve in a casserole dish, sprinkled with parsley.

BEEF BURGUNDY CASSEROLE

Servings: 9

Ingredients

2 pounds beef roast, cut into cubes
    1/2 (1 ounce) package herb and lemon soup mix
    1 cube beef bouillon
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
    1 (4.5 ounce) can mushrooms, drained
    1/2 cup Burgundy wine
    4 cups cooked egg noodles

Directions

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).

In a large bowl combine the beef, dry soup mix, bouillon, onion and soup. Mix all together and pour mixture into a lightly greased 9x13 inch baking dish. Cover and bake in the preheated oven for 4 hours.

Add mushrooms and wine and bake for another 10 minutes. Add cooked egg noodles and mix all together. Serve with fresh bread and a green salad, if desired.

BLUE CHEESE CRUSTED FILET MIGNON WITH PORT WINE SAUCE

Ingredients

1 tablespoon butter
    1/2 cup minced white onion
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
    3/4 cup low-sodium beef broth
    1/2 cup port wine
    1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    4 filet mignon steaks (1 1/2 inch thick)
    3/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
    1/4 cup panko bread crumbs

Directions

Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic and thyme. Cook, stirring constantly, until onion is tender.

Stir in the beef broth, scraping any onion bits from the bottom of the pan, then stir in the port wine. Bring to a boil, and cook until the mixture has reduced to about 1/2 cup. Set aside. This may also be made ahead of time, and reheated.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Heat oil in a cast-iron or other oven-safe skillet over high heat. Sear steaks quickly on both sides until brown, then place the whole pan into the oven.

Roast steaks in the oven for about 15 minutes for medium rare - with an internal temperature of 145 degrees F (63 degrees C). You may adjust this time to allow the steaks to finish just below your desired degree of doneness if medium is not what you prefer. Remove from the oven, and place on a baking sheet.

Stir together the panko crumbs and blue cheese. Top each steak with a layer of this mixture.

Preheat the oven's broiler. Place steaks under the preheated broiler until the cheese topping is browned and bubbly. 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from the oven, and let stand for at least 15 minutes before serving.

Serve with warm port wine sauce.

EASY COQ AU VIN

Ingredients

4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
    2 cups small whole fresh mushrooms
    1 cup thinly sliced carrots
    1 cup Burgundy wine
    16 pearl onions, peeled
    1 tablespoon bacon bits
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    3/4 teaspoon dried marjoram, crushed
    3/4 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
    1/2 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
    1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1 bay leaf
    1 1/2 cups cold water
    1/8 cup all-purpose flour

Directions

Spray a large non-stick skillet with cooking spray. Sauté chicken over medium heat for about 15 minutes, or until lightly browned on both sides.

Add the mushrooms, carrot, wine, onions, bacon bits, parsley, garlic, marjoram, thyme, bouillon, pepper and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low; cover and simmer for 25 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through and no longer pink inside. Using a slotted spoon, transfer chicken, mushrooms, carrot, and onions to a platter, discarding bay leaf; cover to keep warm and set aside.

In a small bowl combine flour and water and whisk together. Stir mixture into skillet and cook until thick and bubbly, 5 to 10 minutes. Cook and stir 1 minute more and pour mixture over chicken and veggies.

Serve warm.

BRAISED LAMB WITH CANNELLINI BEANS

Serves 8

4 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
    8 lamb shanks, each 1/2 to 3/4 lb.
    1 medium yellow onion, finely diced
    2 stalks celery, finely diced
    3 large carrots, peeled and finely diced
    12 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
    3 cups dry white wine
    2 cups chicken broth
    2 cups peeled, seeded and chopped tomatoes
    (fresh or canned)
    3 Tbs tomato paste
    4 sprigs fresh thyme
    2 whole bay leaves
    Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste

4 cups canned/cooked cannellini beans

Directions

In a large roasting pan on the stovetop over medium-high heat, warm the olive oil.

Add the lamb shanks and brown on all sides, 10 to 12 minutes.

Transfer the shanks to a plate.

Add the onion, celery and carrots to the pan and sauté over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the onion is soft, about 10 minutes.

Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.

Add the wine, broth, tomatoes, tomato paste, thyme, bay leaf and lamb shanks. Bring to a boil over high heat.

Reduce the heat to low, cover and slow-roast in the oven at 375° until the shanks can be easily pierced with a skewer, about 2 to 3 hours.

Add the beans, stir well, cover and continue to cook until the lamb begins to fall from the bone and the beans are tender, about 30 to 60 minutes more.

Season with salt and pepper. Remove and discard the bay leaf.

On each plate, create a bed of beans and sauce and place the shank on top.

WHITE WINE-LEMON GRANITA

Serves 8

1 cup water
    2 cups white dessert wine
    (or any white wine or champagne, especially pink champagne)
    1 cups sugar
    zest of 2/3 lemon, grated
    1/3 cup lemon juice

8 small sprigs lemon basil (or mint)

In a 2-quart pot, combine all the ingredients except the basil. Cook over medium heat until the sugar is dissolved, stirring.

Pour into a shallow container; freeze 6 to 12 hours, or until frozen.

Remove from the freezer and rake with a fork to form a crystalline crumble. Scrape into another container and refreeze until needed.

COQ AU VIN ALLA ITALIANA

Servings: 8

Ingredients

4 pounds dark meat chicken pieces
    1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    5 cloves crushed garlic
    1/2 cup all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
    3 (4 ounce) links sweet Italian sausage, sliced
    1 cup chopped onion
    3 carrots, sliced
    1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
    1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
    1 cup red wine
    1 (14.5 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes
    salt and pepper to taste

Directions

In a large skillet, heat oil. Add 1/2 of the garlic.

Season flour with poultry seasoning. Dredge chicken parts in flour, then brown in the skillet for 4 or 5 minutes.

Add the sausage and sauté for a few minutes.

Add the onion, carrots, mushrooms, rosemary and the remaining garlic. Stir all together.

Add the wine and tomatoes; stir. Cover and let simmer over low heat for 25 minutes.

Season with salt and pepper to taste and let simmer for another 10 minutes.

Let cool covered for 10 minutes, and then serve.

CAJUN SHRIMP ORECCHIETTE

Servings: 6

Ingredients

2 cups uncooked orecchiette pasta
    1/3 cup butter
    1/2 cup chopped shallots
    3 cloves garlic, chopped
    1/4 cup chopped green onion
    1 1/2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning, or to taste
    1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
    1 cup white wine
    1 cup diced plum tomatoes
    1 pound medium shrimp - peeled and de-veined
    1 cup baby spinach

Directions

Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add orecchiette pasta, and cook for 9 to 11 minutes, until almost al dente; drain.

Melt butter in a medium skillet over medium heat. Stir in shallots, garlic, and green onion. Season with Cajun seasoning and pepper, and cook about 2 minutes.

Mix in wine, tomatoes, and shrimp. Continue to cook and stir until shrimp are opaque.

Mix in the pasta and spinach, cover, and simmer 3 to 5 minutes, until pasta is al dente and spinach has wilted.

LAMB STEW

Ingredients:

4 lamb shanks
    2 tablespoons oil
    1/4 tsp. ground pepper
    1 large onion, chopped
    3 garlic cloves, minced
    16 ounces whole canned tomatoes
    1/2 cup beef broth
    1/2 cup dry red wine
    2 teaspoons dried rosemary, crushed
    2 carrots
    2 celery stalks
    1/2 cup orzo, or rice, uncooked
    4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    2 tablespoons parsley, chopped

Directions:

Brown lamb shanks in oil in Dutch oven. Remove shanks and season with pepper.

Cook onion and garlic in same pan for about 5 minutes. Pour off drippings.

Return shanks to pan.

Break up tomatoes; reserve. Add tomato liquid, broth, wine and rosemary to pan. Cover tightly and simmer 1-1/2 hours or until meat is tender.

Remove shanks; cut meat from bones into small pieces. Skim fat from surface.

Meanwhile cut carrots and celery into strips. Add vegetables and orzo. Simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender, adding water if necessary.

Add lamb, tomatoes, lemon juice, and salt; heat through. Garnish with parsley.

GARLIC MOSTACCIOLI

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 pound extra lean ground beef
    1/4 cup chopped celery
    1/4 cup carrots, diced
    1/4 cup onions, chopped
    4 fresh garlic cloves, minced
    1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced
    29 ounces Italian canned tomatoes, squashed
    6 ounces tomato paste
    1/2 cup dry red wine
    1 teaspoon dried basil
    1 teaspoon oregano
    1 pound mostaccioli, rigatoni, or spaghetti
    Grated Parmesan cheese

Directions:

Heat oil in large skillet and add beef, carrots, celery, onion and garlic. Cook until beef is browned.

Add mushrooms and cook until wilted.

Add all other ingredients except pasta and cheese. Stir, crushing tomatoes even more with a wooden spoon. Simmer over low heat for half an hour, stirring occasionally.

Cook mostaccioli according to package directions. Serve pasta topped with sauce.

Pass Parmesan cheese separately.

VEAL WITH WHITE WINE

Ingredients:

1 lb. veal cutlets, lightly pounded & cut into 1" strips
    1 teaspoon dried basil or 1/4 cup fresh, minced and patted dry
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1/2 cup bell peppers, cut into short thin strips
    1/2 cup chopped onions
    1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
    1/3 cup dry white wine

Directions:

Stir together basil, salt, crushed red pepper, and olive oil.

Heat 1 teaspoon oil mixture in nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Stir-fry bell pepper strips and onion for about 3 minutes. Remove from skillet and reserve.

Stir-fry veal strips in remaining oil mixture, half at a time, over medium-high heat just until cooked through. Remove from skillet and reserve.

Stir cornstarch into wine and add to skillet. Cook over high heat about 30 seconds, until thickened.

Return veal and vegetables to skillet; heat through.

Serve over pasta or rice.

SEAFOOD STEW

Ingredients:

1 onions, chopped
    2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
    1/4 cup olive oil
    2 cups dry white wine,
    1 tablespoon grated orange peel
    1 1/2 cups orange juice
    1 tablespoon sugar
    1 tablespoon fresh coriander, minced
    1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, minced
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon pepper
    1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
    28 ounces Italian plum tomatoes, mooshed up, juice and all
    24 scrubbed small clams (optional)
    1 1/2 pounds raw shrimp, shelled and de-veined
    1 pound fish (firm fleshed i.e. bass, snapper, cod), chunked
    6 ounces frozen crab meat, defrosted, drained and cleaned

Directions:

Cook onion and garlic in oil in 6-quart Dutch oven until onion is tender.

Stir in remaining ingredients except seafood. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer uncovered for 15 minutes.

Add clams; cover and simmer until clams open, 5 to 10 minutes. (Discard any clams that have not opened.)

Carefully stir in shrimp, fish and crabmeat. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer until shrimp are pink and fish flakes easily with fork, 4 to 5 minutes.

CHICKEN DIJON

Ingredients:

6 skinless boneless chicken breasts
    1 cup Dijon mustard
    2/3 cup chopped green onions
    2/3 cup chopped oyster mushrooms
    3 tablespoons butter
    3 cloves minced garlic
    1/3 cup white wine
    1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce

Directions:

Melt butter in sauté pan; blanch garlic in melted butter until translucent; add green onion, mushrooms, and Worcestershire.

Spread mustard onto chicken breasts and add to sauté pan; add 1/2 of the white wine, cook for 10 - 15 minutes. Turn chicken, add remaining white wine, cover and cook another 10 minutes.

RISOTTO ROSSO WITH SAGE

Serves 6
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1/4 cup minced onion
    2 teaspoons minced garlic
    1-1/2 cups Arborio rice
    1/2 cup red wine
    3 cups boiling chicken stock
    1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    2 tablespoons butter
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
    salt and pepper to taste

Directions

Heat the oil in a heavy bottomed saucepan over medium heat. When just smoking hot,
    add the onion and garlic. Sauté until just soft, about 5 minutes.

Add the rice and sauté with the onions and garlic until the rice begins to take on a golden or toasty color.

Deglaze the pan with the red wine. Allow the wine to reduce until just dry, stirring frequently.

Add 1 cup of the chicken stock and allow to simmer (reduce the heat if necessary). Stir frequently and add another cup of stock when the first one is absorbed. Repeat until all the stock is used.

After the last addition of stock, be careful not to allow the liquid to absorb completely. As the rice starts to thicken, taste to see it is just al dente and adjust the seasoning. Add the cheese and butter, stirring constantly.

When the rice is "bound", remove from heat and fold in the sage. Place on a serving platter.

This is excellent with roasted game hens, roast pork, duck and even beef.

RED SNAPPER CIOPPINO

Serves 4
    Ingredients

2 tablespoon olive oil
    1 small red onion, julienned
    1 small fennel bulb, julienned
    1 teaspoon minced garlic
    1/2 cup white wine
    1/2 cup fish stock (or bottled clam broth)
    1 cup crushed tomatoes
    1 teaspoon crushed chile flakes
    1 bay leaf
    1 small zucchini, cut into thin strips
    salt and pepper
    4 red snapper fillets, 4 oz each
    greens from tops of fennel bulbs

Directions

Heat a sauté pan over medium heat. Add the oil, then the onion, fennel and garlic. Sauté until just begins to wilt and get brown.

Add white wine, and allow to boil for about 1 minute to burn off the alcohol. Add the fish stock, tomatoes, chiles and bay leaf. Allow to return to a boil.

Trim the stem and blossom ends of the zucchini. Cut thin strips (from blossom to stem) to resemble very wide fettuccini. Add to boiling sauce.

Season fillets with salt and pepper. Lay on top of sauce and cover. Steam for 5-7 minutes depending on thickness of fish.

Place fillets in shallow bowl, dividing the sauce between the bowls. Garnish with fennel fronds. Makes four appetizer servings.

This can be done with any firm white fish (cod, bass, even marlin or swordfish). You can also serve this over a rice pilaf, cous cous or pasta as a main course.

GINGER ORANGE SCALLOPS WITH WHITE WINE RECIPE

Ingredients

1 lb scallops
    1/4 cup orange juice
    1/4 cup white wine
    1 1/2 tsp ground ginger
    1 tsp soy sauce
    3 tbsp butter

Directions

Mix orange juice, wine, ginger, and soy sauce in a small bowl and blend well. Melt butter in large skillet, add scallops and cook, stirring frequently, until scallops are opaque (2-3 minutes). Remove and place on serving platter.

Add orange juice mixture to the pan and bring to boil. Cook, whisking, until sauce is slightly reduced (1-2 minutes). Return scallops to the pan and cook for around 1 minute.

BASIC SANGRIA RECIPE

Makes 4 glasses

Ingredients

3 ¼ cups dry red wine
    1 tablespoon sugar
    Juice of 1 large orange
    Juice of 1 large lemon
    1 large orange, sliced thin crosswise
    1 large lemon, sliced thin crosswise
    2 medium peaches, peeled, pitted and cut into chunks
    1 cup club soda

Directions

Combine all the ingredients except for the club soda in a large punch bowl or serving pitcher, mixing well. Refrigerate overnight.

Immediately before serving, mix in the club soda for added fizz. Ladle into cups with ice cubes.

WHITE SANGRIA

Makes 8 glasses

Ingredients

Apple juice, for ice cubes
    1 ¼ cups water
    1 small bunch fresh mint
    ½ cup sugar
    3 sticks cinnamon
    3 ¼ cups dry white wine
    2 medium peaches, peeled, pitted and sliced
    2 small pears, cut into chunks
    2 medium oranges, sliced crosswise
    2 small lemons, sliced crosswise
    3 cups sparkling apple cider
    Mint leaves, to garnish (optional)

Directions

To make the apple juice ice cubes, pour the apple juice into two ice trays and freeze until the sangría is ready to serve.

Combine the water, mint leaves, sugar, and cinnamon in a small saucepan, and bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce the heat and simmer for several minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Once the mixture has cooled to room temperature, remove and discard the mint and cinnamon sticks. Transfer the remaining mixture to a large serving bowl.

Add the wine, peaches, pears, and the orange and lemon slices to the serving bowl. Mix well, and refrigerate overnight.

Immediately before serving, mix in the sparkling apple cider and the apple juice ice cubes.

Garnish with fresh mint leaves, if desired.

PEACH AND ORANGE SANGRIA

Makes 6 glasses

Ingredients

3 ¼ cups dry white wine
    1/3 cup sugar
    1/3 cup Triple Sec
    1/3 cup peach-flavored brandy
    2 medium peaches, peeled and sliced
    2 medium oranges, sliced thin and crosswise
    1 cup sparkling orange soda
    1 cup ginger ale

Directions

In a large serving bowl, combine all the ingredients except the orange soda and ginger ale and mix well. Refrigerate overnight.

Immediately before serving, mix in the orange soda and ginger ale.

Serve over Ice.

* Lemons and cherries may be added too, for an additional splash of color.

FRUITY SANGRIA

Makes 18 glasses

Ingredients

8 cups dry red wine
    8 cups apple juice
    1 small grapefruit, cut into eights
    1 medium orange, sliced thin crosswise
    1 medium lemon, sliced thin crosswise , seeded
    1 small pear, diced
    1 medium apple, diced

Directions

Combine the wine, apple juice, and grapefruit pieces in a large pitcher. Mix well, cover and refrigerate overnight.

The following day, add the orange and lemon slices to the wine. Refrigerate for a further 3 hours.

Add the pear and apple to the mixture, then allow to stand for a further 1 hour to absorb the flavor fully.

Mix well and serve over ice.

BRASATO AL CHIANTI
    (Italian beef braised in red wine)

Yield: 4-6 servings

INGREDIENTS

¼ cup Olive oil
    2 pounds Beef rump roast
    2 medium Onions chopped
    2 medium Carrots peeled, chopped
    1 cup Mushrooms sliced
    1-2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
    2 cups Chianti wine
    1 ½ cup Stock or water
    2 Tbs Parsley, fresh, minced
    1 Tbs Oregano, fresh or 1 tsp dried, minced
    2 sprigs, or 1 teaspoon Rosemary, fresh or dried, minced
    1 whole Bay leaf
    Salt & pepper to taste

Directions

Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high flame. Sear the meat to brown on all sides and remove it to a plate.

Turn the heat to medium-low and sauté the onions, carrots, mushrooms and garlic in the same oil until the onions are translucent and beginning to brown.

Return meat to pot and add the rest of ingredients. Bring to a boil and reduce the heat to low so liquid is just simmering. Cover and simmer for 2-3 hours. Add water if necessary to maintain liquid so it covers about half of the beef.

Remove meat to a cutting board, cover loosely with foil and let it rest for about 10-15 minutes. Then slice it, place on a platter and keep warm.

Strain the liquid in the pot through a colander. Remove any sprigs of herbs and puree vegetables in a food mill, blender or food processor. Stir the pureed vegetables back into the strained liquid, adjust seasoning and serve as a sauce to accompany the beef.

Variations

Brasato al Barolo: For the Piedmont version of this dish, substitute a barolo wine.
    If you don't have a chianti on hand, a sangiovese, or any light-bodied red wine can be substituted.

If you like, you can marinate the meat ahead of time for better flavor. Simply mix all the ingredients together in a bowl and refrigerate for 8-24 hours. Remove and dry off the meat before searing. Don't try to sauté the vegetables. Once you have seared the meat, simply pour the other ingredients in the pot with it and resume the recipe.

If you like a lighter sauce, you can strain out and discard the vegetables. Then either reduce the sauce by half by boiling down, or lightly thicken the sauce with a cornstarch slurry and season to taste

CHIANTI-BRAISED STUFFED CHICKEN THIGHS ON EGG NOODLES

Servings: Makes 6 to 8 servings.

Ingredients

4 ounces (about 1 link) sweet Italian sausage, casing removed, meat crumbled
    1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs from crustless day-old French bread
    1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (about 1 1/2 ounces)
    1 large shallot, minced
    1 large egg
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
    2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
    8 large skinless boneless chicken thighs (about 2 1/2 pounds total)
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1/4 cup chopped pancetta or bacon
    3/4 cup finely chopped onion
    6 garlic cloves, minced
    1 750-ml bottle Chianti or other dry red wine
    3 cups canned low-salt chicken broth
    2 cups canned crushed tomatoes in puree
    1 bay leaf
    1 teaspoon dried basil
    1 pound egg noodles

Directions

Mix first 9 ingredients in medium bowl. Place 1 chicken thigh on work surface. Fill area where bone was removed with 2 tablespoons stuffing. Wrap chicken thigh around filling and tie with kitchen string to hold together. Repeat with remaining chicken thighs and stuffing. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper.

Heat olive oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add pancetta; sauté until light brown and fat is rendered, about 5 minutes. Transfer pancetta to paper towels to drain.

Add chicken to drippings in skillet; cook until golden on all sides, about 10 minutes. Transfer to plate.

Add onion and garlic to skillet; sauté until tender, about 10 minutes.

Return pancetta to skillet. Add wine; boil until mixture is reduced to 2 cups, about 12 minutes.

Add broth, tomatoes, bay leaf, basil, and chicken thighs; bring to boil. Reduce heat; simmer uncovered until chicken is cooked through, about 35 minutes. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cool slightly. Chill until cold, then cover and keep chilled. Rewarm over medium heat before continuing.)

Transfer chicken to bowl; cover to keep warm. Simmer sauce in skillet until slightly thickened and reduced to 4 cups, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

Meanwhile, cook noodles in large pot of boiling salted water until just tender but still firm to bite. Drain.

Transfer noodles to large platter. Top with chicken and sauce and serve.

STRACOTTO AL CHIANTI TOSCANO
    Tuscan Chianti Beef Stew

Ingredients:

2 lbs Beef Stew meat cut into 1" cubes
    Flour (to coat meat)
    1 bottle 750 ml Chianti
    1 cups beef broth
    1 stick (114 g) Butter
    2 tbs. Olive Oil
    1 finely chopped large Onion
    1 medium finely chopped Carrot
    2 tbs. Raisins
    2 tbs. Finely chopped Almonds
    10 peppercorns
    2 tbs. Finely chopped Pine nuts (Pinoli)
    2 tbs. chopped Italian Parsley
    1 clove crushed Garlic
    Salt to taste

Directions

In a heavy pot clarify the butter over high heat.

Place the flour on a plate. Cut the meat into 1 inch cubes and coat the cubes in flour. Set the cubes aside on a baking pan.

Add the onion and carrots. Sauté the carrots and onion for about 2 minutes. Add the olive oil to the pot.

Sear the meat cubes in the hot butter. Do not over fill the pot. Place only the meat cubes to fill the bottom of the pot. Stir them once or twice to sear all sides. Remove the seared cubes, place them on the baking pan and continue with other cubes until all the cubes have been seared.

Once all of the cubes have been seared and removed from the pot add about a cup of wine to deglaze the pot. Reduce the heat to medium-high. Add the remaining ingredients and another cup of wine. Reduce the sauce for about 4 minutes.

Add the meat back into the sauce and cover with the remaining wine and broth. Once the liquid begins to boil, reduce the heat to low (simmer only) and cover.

Cook for 2 ½ hours, stirring every 20 minutes.

Remove the cover, turn the heat to medium low and cook for the remaining 30 minutes to reduce the sauce.

Serve over white rice, Parmesan Risotto, gnocchi or fresh pasta.

Joe

• lpinkmountain
    15 years ago

OK how do you save a whole post automatically?
    :)

• bri29
    15 years ago

I too hate wasting a bottle of wine after only using a little bit in a dish, it just frosts me. One way to save it I recently learned is to pour the leftover wine into an ice cube tray in 1-2 tbsp increments. When they're frozen you dump the wine cubes in a ziploc bag and keep in the freezer for future recipes. No wasted bottle of wine! I've not tried this myself, but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work.

• lpinkmountain
    15 years ago

Does wine actually freeze into cubes you can take out and store?

• mimsic
    15 years ago

Hmm? Freezing wine, I'm gonna try it and see.

• mimsic
    15 years ago

gardenguru: I copied and pasted your whole post for use in the cooler future! Too hot to cook right now. Its even too hot to drink wine.

• livingthedream
    15 years ago

Another option is to use dry sherry. Much of the reason for adding wine is that some flavors are soluble only in alcohol. Sherry is a fortified wine which means it has extra alcohol, which not only does the flavor job better (or you can use less), but also keeps at room temperature.

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals