SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lowspark1

Meal in a Loaf (posted by gardengrl) - Questions

lowspark
14 years ago

I am hosting some friends for a potluck dinner on Friday night and I'm supplying main dish. It's our regular dinner & a movie night, and me hosting is sort of a last minute thing, the one who was supposed to host is having work done at her house and they won't be through on time.

I was thinking about making Meal in a Loaf that gardengrl posted (recipe below) and I have some questions.

1. Can I get creative with the fillings? I was thinking of switching to a sort of Philly cheese steak (sliced beef, swiss cheese, onions, peppers) OR cheeseburger (browned ground beef, bbq sauce, cheddar cheese).

2. Do I need to serve this right out of the oven? I was thinking about making it in the morning and then reheating it before serving, but would that be bad news? I probably CAN just go ahead and make it right at the last minute if I need to.

3. I need to serve 9 people, five of whom are hungry guys, will this be enough? There will be a veg side, a salad and dessert. But I can make two loaves if I need to.

Thanks for any help!!!

-------------------------------------------------

Posted by gardengrl (My Page) on Mon, Jul 13, 09 at 11:36

Make a "Meal In a Loaf"! If you like Cuban sandwiches, you'll love this, and it's easy! I got this from Katie last year and we loved it.

Meal in a Loaf

Recipe By : Katie

Serving Size : 8

4 cups flour

2 tablespoons sugar

1/2 teaspoon salt

2 packages yeast

1 cup water

1/4 cup dijon mustard (I used an extra 1/4 cup to spread on dough)

2 tablespoons butter

1 - 2 cups chopped cooked ham -- (8 oz.)

1 cup shredded Swiss cheese -- or cheddar

1/2 - 1 cup chopped dill pickle

1 egg - beaten

Set aside 1 cup flour. Melt butter in a 2 cup, microwave safe measuring cup. Add water (hot tap is fine) to butter then add yeast and sugar. Mix well and let sit to activate the yeast. Mix water mixture into 3 cups of flour then add mustard and salt. Mix in enough reserved flour to make a soft dough and knead 4 minutes. *OR* Throw everything in the bread machine.

On a greased baking sheet, roll dough to 14"x12". Spread extra mustard down the center of dough, sprinkle ham, cheese, and pickle down 1/3 of dough length. Make cuts from filling to edges of dough at 1" intervals. Bring strips from opposite sides of filling together, twist, and place at an angle across filling. Cover. Let rise until almost double (about 1 hour). Brush loaf with egg. Bake @ 375° for 25 minutes or until browned (mine took about 45 minutes). Serve warm.

Here is a link that might be useful: gardengrl's blog with picture

Comments (10)