SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rjekce_gw

Meeting KD this weekend, want ideas before we go in!

rjekce
12 years ago

Hi Everyone - months and months ago we solicited feedback for the kitchen in a new house we are building. Home was supposed to be done on 12/15. Only good news I have is that the foundation was poured... last week. I was forewarned, but I never thought it would be this bad!

Anyhow, there is a silver lining: during the delay mortgage rates dropped a bunch, and as a result we decided to make some changes to the original plan to get some things we passed on the first time around. End result is that we are working with a dramatically different layout, and while we like it - we could use some of the genius that exists on this kitchen forum.

Below I've posted a wider angle view of the kitchen and adjacent rooms, and also a close up of a very rough draft of just the kitchen/pantry space. Some general notes on our thinking:

Space Design: We like open spaces and lots of natural light and based on ideas from this forum we concluded that we wanted the playroom within line of sight of the kitchen and dining room (two little ones and hopefully more down the road).

Kitchen Design: As you can see below, we are extremely light on wall cabinets and heavy on base drawers. That's another result of reading this forum; though we're taking a leap of faith in moving a lot of storage space to undercounter drawers, everyone seems to rave about that setup. We like to entertain and hope the family will grow to 6 or 7 in the years ahead, so we're planning two dishwashers and two refrigerators. The distance from the main fridge to the stove is long, but we will have a prep sink and island prep area in between and reading other posts it sounds like that mitigates some of the distance problem. Pantry is currently 18" deep open shelves on the bottom and 12" deep open shelves from 36" and up. (Right now we're planning a range with single oven, and we've considered tucking a second oven in the pantry next to the fridge for those times when we're hosting big gatherings...) The run between the playroom and foyer entrance will likely have drawers on the bottom for table cloths, linens, etc, and the uppers will be two cabinets surrounding a wine lattice. Or at least that's what we're currently thinking...

As far as feedback, we are open to any and all ideas. The framing cannot be changed at this point, but placement of appliances, choice of cabinets/drawer combinations, shape of island, and many other elements can be adjusted. We're meeting with the KD this weekend, and based on the construction schedule we will likely need to order cabinets in the next 4-5 days. (We're going with a custom cabinet maker in the area, so we aren't constrained by size increments...)

Here's the footprint around the kitchen:

Here's the kitchen/pantry only:

I'm sure I'll have some more details that I can add later, but if you have questions or comments fire away!

Comments (14)