SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mcfromct

painted BR all weekend..horrid...pics

mcfromct
16 years ago

Well, getting a project like painting a room done with a 1 and 3 yr old is challenging enough but I did it this past weekend! I brought home 100 paint swatches and taped them up in the room etc. Here are the pics...awful! The issue that I am having is choosing a paint color that will go with the maple furniture we own. It is very orange-y and most colors just clash. We had sage on the walls for 4 yrs and the minty green of the sage and the 'orange' maple furniture was driving me nuts. So much for fixing the problem though. This color (Behr Warm Earth) is a brownish-yellow but almost has an army greenish tinge to it. It looks lighter on my wall than on the swatch I'm guessing because I chose a satin instead of a flat so there's a lot of reflecting in the room.

I'm willing to re-paint even though the thought is daunting.

I am also willing to get new bedding if I have to but I would prefer not to. Our bedding is a goldish color (from LNT).

My question is...can anyone suggest a color that would go with the maple furniture we own? As I said, it is very orangey.

One caveat, I don't want a buttery yellow (too country with our shaker funiture) and I would prefer not to just paint it beige. I was trying to do something a little contemporary - that's the look I was going for.

Any suggestions?

Comments (53)

• jkinpv
    16 years ago

I agree, the brown doesn't seem to complement your funiture or your bedding. Would you be open to a light blue? Something with a grey undertone (I love BM Quiet Moments). With your tan bedding and starfish prints, blue and brown would be very "sand and sea." It might be worth a try!
    JK

• mcfromct
    Original Author
    16 years ago

organic_smallhome...yeah, the room IS small - I think we have the smallest "master" BR in CT! You're right though, the dark color makes it look smaller. The only thing about any blue-ish color is that I think it might make the furniture look more orange - no? I honestly don't know enough about color to know the answer. I thought it might b/c they are opp on the color wheel - I might be completely wrong though?! Anyone else know?
    dlm_2000, thank you also for your suggestions - I looked at Benj Moore Paris Rain online - definitely a possibility - I really think it might look good. I'll p/u a paint swatch.
    woodswell, you know you have ugly furniture when it reminds someone of their parent's old furniture - LOL!! I really like the bedding you found - how did you find that?!! The only thing is that I don't think I like the color I painted the room. I think I need to get rid of the color altogether.

• Related Discussions

Update & Progress Pics on DD's Vintage/Shabby BR

Q

Comments (36)
    justgottabeme: That is a very sweet story about your Mom. DD seems to enjoy having my attention on her room--sometimes before she'd get annoyed when I spent so much time on "decorating." What I am doing is sifting through the myriad of choices to 1-3 choices which I think are acceptable in terms of cost, color and durability and have let her make the final choice. Having this forum as a sounding board to determine the options is very helpful, but for the most part I try to let her make the choices. The JCP rug is a tad smaller than I'd like, though bac717 brought up a good point that with JCP returns are not a problem. I may actually work from the chair fabric backwards and see which fabric she chooses then choose the opposite color for the rug since we have two options. One concern I have with the dotted fabrics is that they are all 100% cotton--and perhaps not the most durable choice for the seat cushion. Here are some of the ones from the Susan Sargent line I thought could work. The first two are woven and look to be of a heavier weight. cartwheel: 54% cotton, 46% polyester, woven jacquard medley: 60% cotton, 40% rayon, woven linen dot: 100% cotton, printed
    ...See More

2 br w/garage or 3 br no garage?

Q

Comments (24)
    Thanks everyone, you've given me a lot to think about. Now I'm leaning back towards the 2 br w/garage. The 2 br w/garages in this area seem to be in better areas. I am also looking at duplexes which seem to be over my price range, but the benefit of no assessments really pays off. The assessments around here go from anywhere from $150-300. I was also considering dividing a master bedroom like some of you have suggested..there are some websites which sell room dividers so that could be an option.
    ...See More

Help w/ Master BR artwork...part 2

Q

Comments (5)
    I am going to be the odd man out and say that I am not sure I would hang anything on those walls. Looking at your bed from the head-on shot, the space is pretty narrow; it makes me wonder if hanging things on those side walls won't just close down the space even more. I kind of like the serene, simple feel of that end of the bedroom. As I recall, the rest of the space has a fair amount of furniture and doorways. I think I would keep the bed as the focus, and leave the walls plain.
    ...See More

BR color help please...

Q

Comments (45)
    I've been thinking about it because it's the look I really want too. I also recognized it immediately in Palimpsest's father's room. I think it's hard to get that look with just paint, at least I'm not succeeding, although dark paint might work better. To some extent a more layered look is part of this, and it's easier to carry off with dark backgrounds. Wall covering. Softly patterned wallpaper or grass cloth. Texture. Serene, harmonious colors. Simple elegance. No mistakes in scale or balance. A gently upholstered feeling without oppressiveness. A relatively high proportion of soft, sound-gentling surfaces to hard. Filling the space enough to feel cozy without cluttering it. If you're doing a rug on carpet, a very large one because I saw a picture of a bedroom with plaster walls, and a spectacularly large, fine Persian rug on the floor almost accomplished the ahh! for me all by itself. An original Renoir over the mantle, like Aurora's bedroom in Terms of Endearment. Well, anyway, the look of a room that's meant to fulfill emotional needs, not just to sleep in. I've noticed many bedrooms somehow look static, unifunctional, in spite of silk drapes and comforters. Even if they do have sitting areas included, it looks like extra furniture was brought in to fill too-large spaces. THIS room should be a comforting promise to yourself while dealing with long, aggravating days. :)
    ...See More
  • Jodi_SoCal
    16 years ago

How about leaving just the wall behind the bed painted brown and go with something else on the other walls.

Jodi-

• susanlynn2012
    16 years ago

I love the bedding woodswell chose for you bedroom. I feel it would allow both furniture colors to compliment one another by being in the bedding color and may make your wall color look not so bad. However, I would still like to see lighter walls like BM Bone White to show of your furniture or BM Pittsfield Buff.

If you want bedding that is plainer, I would find a contemporary white comforter, matalesse cover, or duvet cover to put on your bed and put the comforter you have now folded at the end of the bed. Or if you really love the comforter you have now, I would fold a white coverlet with texture at the end of your bed and add the chocolate brown Euroshams from the set Woodsworth showed you so that all the furniture colors are tied in together. Then you can decide on a color.

• lionstail
    16 years ago

What about a brown color for the walls? Also why dont you like the color you painted it?

• bubbamommie
    16 years ago

Oh I feel for you dear. This color is very close to the "Mistake" I made in our bedroom 2 years ago - but my paint was DARKER than that, it was very cave-like to me. It's not a horrible color but it's hard to work with.

I recently repainted my room in a robin's egg blue (RL "Impressionist) and I'm so glad I did. It made a huge difference.

• teacats
    16 years ago

How about a silvery gray? Similar to the tones in your pretty artwork above the bed??

With some modern-fabric comforter?

• Sueb20
    16 years ago

I agree, the color is pretty bad. So sorry! And your instincts are right, if you don't like the orangey-ness of your furniture, you're not going to be happy with a blue because that will enhance the orange. If you want to make the orange less orange, the way to do that is to choose a wall color that's more similar to the color of the wood. Maybe a pale terracotta (several shades lighter than the furniture so it's not too dark), but I don't think that's going to look great with your bedding. You might look at Camouflage or Gray Mirage for pale gray-green type colors. Or go all neutral and choose a beige (I know you said you didn't want beige, but...) similar to your comforter. If you did that, you might look for a patterned bedskirt with a little color or at least some black to tie in your nightstands and your picture frames.

• skypathway
    16 years ago

What a shame, it looks like a gorgeous color, just too dark for your room. I agree with Sue.

Sky

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Someone here posted their bedroom a while back ... although the bed is lighter in color, the other pieces are more of the orange tone. Do you like this type of color, kind of a soft peach?

• annzgw
    16 years ago

I think what's fighting you here is the gray carpet. Take it into consideration when choosing a color you like.

A wall with gray tones and a comforter like woodswell posted..........sharp!.........especially with your black nightstands and crystal/glass lamps.

• jade.d
    16 years ago

I'd like to suggest painting a color similiar to the darker gold from the bedding and I would paint the door/trim and the angle part of the wall as well. I would even consider painting the ceiling the same color. And I would look at adding lots of black accents throughout the room and a few of accents of a vivid red or royal blue or regal purple.

• les917
    16 years ago

I would think a pewter grey (nothing with a blue undertone) would be very rich and pretty with the wood tones. Works with the nightstands and more modern feel you want from the room, too.

You are right that anything blue will only make the wood look more orange. You could also look for a chocolate brown, rather than the bronze color you have now. A deep olive green would be pretty as well - not a mint or sage that have blue undertones.

Maybe something like River Reflections, a grey from BM, or a green like Turtle Green or a deep brown like Mocha Brown.
    Whatever you do, when you repaint be sure to paint the slanted walls the wall color, don't leave them white like the flat ceiling. The room will feel much more open and the ceiling not so low. In fact, consider doing the ceiling a lighter shade of the wall color to help the ceiling fade away, rather than stand out in strong contrast.

Finally, the other question to ask is would you consider painting or refinishing the furniture? If you really hate the orangey tone, no wall color will change the color of the pieces themselves. Maybe try using a poly-stain in a deeper, more neutral wood tone? Paint it black and change out the hardware to nickel for a more modern feel?

I am not saying you SHOULD paint or change it, just that if you really hate it, no wall color will likely ever make you love it.

• moonshadow
    16 years ago

I did a bunch. All are Lowes Martha Stewart colors with the exception of a couple, but I noted that in name.

I created an album for you here:
    mcfromct album

Just a few samples, see the album for a boat load ;) (There are two pages, so don't miss page 2 ;)

• woodswell
    16 years ago

mcfromct,
    Actually I sort of like that orangey maple stuff. ;-) But I do understand how it is not the best color in wood furniture. I have my Mom's old orange maple kitchen table that we are planning to strip and stain a darker color - the orange just will not go with our blue kitchen.

Mom did that on a chair that she has - the wood arms are now a walnut color that go with the other furniture in her Florida room.

I remembered that Penney's had a nice selection of comforters and duvets when I was looking for one so I just browsed a whil. But when I was looking I found mine at Overstock.

• CaroleOH
    16 years ago

It sounds like your sortof tired of greens and blues are similar. I really like the rust/paprika color in the second picture from Moonshadow. I especially like it with the black end table and prints.

Just a thought - if you hate the furniture that much, have you thought about painting it? How about black like the end table? It's modern/transitional enough to have black as a color option if you bought it like that, so I don't think it would look like you painted your maple style furniture black.

Just a thought. But, if that idea makes your toes curl, I think the warm color of the walls goes well with the furniture, sortof blends in and makes in a non issue.

• teacats
    16 years ago

For bedding ideas -- check out O ---- stock.com -- might be some ideas there! :)

• mcfromct
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you to everyone who has responded to my post. What an incredible group of people you are.
    Couple of quick thoughts...moonshadow, I don't even know how to thank you enough for what you did for me. That is exactly what I need to see, an actual picture of the room with different colors! How did you do that??!!! I actually love the grey and blue-ish grey even though I myself said I should stay away from any blueish tones. You are so great!

I know a couple of you mentioned painting or staining the furniture and that's actually what I should do but it's just something that would honestly be impossible for me with my 2 little ones running around. It would take a lot of time which I just don't have although I wish I did. It's a great suggestion. I may even look on ebay for new furniture. I'm really not liking this furniture at all anymore.

I'm definitely leaning towards the grayish/pewter color.

And for the chuckle of the day...annz wrote...
    "I think what's fighting you here is the gray carpet. Take it into consideration when choosing a color you like.".

Well, Ann, unfortunately that carpet is cream. I guess it's time for Stanley Steemer...I'm still laughing because it reminds me of a commercial they did. If you can picture a group of friends playing charades at someone's house. The person giving the clues starts pointing to the carpet as a hint and the guests start guessing/shouting, 'disgusting!', 'filthy', 'gross'!
    Too funny!!!!

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Ohhh, those are all beautiful! I've been at it too :)

I think you've got a good thing going, just not quite the right tone. The first takes the gold out and goes rather cool brown (smokey amethyst throw), then they warm up. You might drape some light fabric at the window too.

Looks very beautiful to me :)

Ok, I'm outta here :) needed a break!

{{!gwi}}

• threedgrad
    16 years ago

I like this color in your room:

the Garden Clog one that Moon used

• organic_smallhome
    16 years ago

threedgrad: I really think you nailed it. I really do. That looks great!

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

I guess I'm the only one who likes the warm and cozy monochromatic cocoon ... looks like the artwork got darkened, here they are corrected (lighter). They were also lowered a bit.

{{!gwi}}

• oceanna
    16 years ago

Oh, I'm so sorry for you -- how frustrating to do all that work and then not like the results.

If you hate your wood, wouldn't one good option be to paint it?

• les917
    16 years ago

I think that is very pretty, squirrel, but since she said she didn't want beige, I stayed away from suggesting colors in that family.

• bungalow_house
    16 years ago

mcfromct, I just wanted to say that you are my hero for managing to paint a room with 2 little ones in the house! :)

• beache
    16 years ago

squirrel,

What are those brown colors you're using in your pics?

• teeda_2006
    16 years ago

I love the blues/silvery greys in this room. I know you were worried that it would bring out the orange tones in the wood--but I think this actually looks nice! Kind of makes it an accent color!.

I also like your bedding. As others suggested (and photoshopped) I would consider adding something to the foot of the bed, and maybe some more color at the pillows. If it was my room, I'd do the blue/silver/grey wall tone, keep everything else as is, and add a quilted coverlet folded at the end of the bed that picks up a little bit of the blues/grey/orangey tones. Maybe add some matching euro shams or accent pillow. Finally, I'd consider a different, more substantial dust ruffle. I like the white, but I think I'd use one with a heavier fabric. (Maybe even a tiny stripe with the colors from the room). Check Country Curtains--their dust ruffles are substantial and nice quality. I love your room, and love the black nightstand with the maple furniture as well as the neat prints with the black frames.

• amykath
    16 years ago

I am sorry I did not ready everyone else's posts so I repeat something oh well. I would pain the angled wall and everything but the ceiling. That will make it look more finished. ALso, I would paint the bed and chest of drawers black - that would look fabulous and it would match the beautiful side table (which I ADORE). We did this with an old dresser and headboard we made out of a door. We are very pleased with the black. If you were to do so.... then I would definitely paint the room a pale color. I like the lighter khaki and the lighter gray blue. If you keep the dark walls then I would use all light colors in art and bedding etc to brighten it up.

Good luck! I really do like your room and it has great potential. Cool lamps also!
    Amy

Here are some pics.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• msrose
    16 years ago

aktillery - I watched you put your room together and I just have to comment on what a great job you did. Can you tell me what wallcolor you used?

Laurie

• moonshadow
    16 years ago

Ack! I wanted to illustrate what Les said and paint the angled wall, but that went south due to lots of tweaking required. Not pleased, but my hand is tired so I'm gonna post them anyway ;)

mcfromct, you're quite welcome. I used Lowe's Virtual Painter software ($7, in Lowe's paint dept). Did have to tweak your original photo a bit (increase brightness/contrast) to get best possible results. If you try this software yourself, high light from original photo is better than tweaking it later. The slant wall is an example of how things can get out of kilter and look cartoony if the original is too dark and has to be heavily edited.

If there are other colors/shades you'd like to see, let me know. I plastered a whole lot more at your album, more pewters>grays. You decor/taste is very nice and with two little ones to run you ragged hopefully we can get you to a wall color you love. ;) (Keep in mind virtuals aren't true to real, so use it as a guide to lead you to color swatches ;)

I'd encourage you to use a matte or eggshell, it will bounce less light around and add softness to the room. You'll need to prime since your color is so dark, but if you get tinted primer to match your new color all will be well.

Here's a sampling of your slanted wall :)

Here is a link that might be useful: mcfromct album

• bristlingacres
    16 years ago

I know how frustrating it can be trying to get work done with little ones running around! I have to little girls and I painted during naptime and after they went to bed. That was a loooonnnngggg week!

I do think you have lovely artwork and I like the bedding you have. Personally, I like the monochromatic look that Squirrel posted. I agree with pps that you should think about painting your furniture black.

aktillery- can you tell me about the curtains you have in that room? I think they're similar to ones I'm thinking of for my mbr.

Good luck!
    Astrid

• tfm1134
    16 years ago

Amy-can you tell me what color that is on the walls in your pics. It is gorgeous!

Squirrel-I do love those wall colors, especially the last 2

• coleen3201118
    16 years ago

Although I like it, if you wanted to lighten it, how about a more yellow - we have BM Waterbury Cream in our LR - that might look nice. Others have also mentioned the option of painting the furniture and that might look nice as well. BTW, I'm in CT and you can't have the smallest MB there because in our old house, we couldn't even have nightstands in it!

• paddytc
    16 years ago

I agree I think you should paint the slant the same color as the wall. It will make the ceiling look higher. We did the same in our Master bedroom and it mad a huge difference. I would post pics put for some reason I can't upload or post from Photobucket anymore and I don't know how from another site. Good luck

• mcfromct
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you again to all who have posted.
    Couple of quick things...as many people have said, I should probably paint the furniture b/c I'm not crazy about it however, it would be waaaaay too time consuming for the amt of time I have. I wish I could paint it black and it's a great suggestion. That would be my first choice if I could do it but unfortunately it just isn't possible with my lack of time (2 little ones at home).

Also, the room used to be a sage green - I just wanted a change so I really don't want anything greenish...

Moonshadow- you have been an incredible help. I love the idea of painting the slanted wall too. Was there a color called 'rain cloud' in your program by any chance? I thought I looked at it but went back and couldn't find it...
    This might sound crazy but I think I also really like this light blue -
    what does everyone else think??? It definitely goes with the classic 'seashore theme' of my home...

squirrelheaven...thank you too for your pics - they were so helpful. I completely agree about the 'tone' being wrong in the color I chose. That's exactly what my first thought was after I painted. I actually do like the monochromatic look as well. I guess I'm realizing that I do have a lot of options that are all very different - thank goodness!

aktillery - LOVE your room - the black furniture is gorgeous. We actually pained our LR fireplace black and our walls are very similar to your color and we love it too!!

Thank you again all - you have had such wonderful suggestions and I have read every suggestion over and over. Someone even said something about the bedskirt and they were completely right. It's so ready to go!

• moonshadow
    16 years ago

Yup.

Here's Rain Cloud on each photo. It's from the Earth Elements paint line at Lowes. (Again, not 100% accurate, but should lead you close to something in real life). ;-)

Oh, and it looks funkier on the slanted wall because of all the pre-editing I had to to before painting.

• DLM2000-GW
    16 years ago

Thought you might want to see the Paris Rain in place. It's really a fooler - on the chip it's so gray I almost didn't try it. Tons of sun today so it's light and airy - on cloudy days it gets a bit deeper and richer.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• moonshadow
    16 years ago

Forgot to mention, sometimes lighter colors will take on a pseudo neon effect in paint software. It's not as pronounced in Lowe's as some other programs I use. So that light blue that you posted above, if it seems to have a bit of a glow, that's why.

• moonshadow
    16 years ago

If you have a 'beachy/seashore' theme (which I'm crazy about!), check out the Seaside Retreat line at Lowes. Not a lot of colors in the collection, so it's not overwhelming, yet there is a nice selection of blues and the entire palette is centered around a 'seaside retreat' atmosphere. I drool over those colors every time I'm in there. ;D

• organic_smallhome
    16 years ago

I still say light grey-blue (first choice), or even light grey-green. :)

• paddytc
    16 years ago

Another great color is BM Palladian Blue. Our Master is paint this and my furniture is similar in color to yours, just a little more brown than orange. I love it... My side tables are cream/off white and so is my carpet. My armoire and dresser and head/footboard are the same oakish(love to get buy new) color. I wish I could post I am get photobucket to work. Anyways, I accented with the cream, blue and beige. You would just accent with black instead of the cream around the room. Good luck.

• moonshadow
    16 years ago

There are photos of Palladian Blue over in the Gallery.
    See the "Blues" thread, about 7th post down from the top.
    Nice color. AND a bonus: the furniture in the photo is very similar to mcfromct's furniture color! ;)

In fact, mc, you might find some inspiration there, lots of photos of rooms with colors listed!

• budge1
    16 years ago

I think that any of those colours above would look great with your room. I really love the bluey greys. We painted ours clarksville grey (BM) and it seemed to bring everyhitng together and we have some orangey tones in our woods too.

I just wanted to throw out there that I am the queen of repainting after disliking the 1st colour and I will swear that the second colour goes on much quicker and easier. Good luck! It may be small but it's going to be beautiful.

• moegaff
    16 years ago

I love your lamps---can you share the info on them? Thanks!

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

lol, see we're still at it over here :) I was doodling with your linens. I think some heavier, crisp white sheets with more body would be nice. Not sure if you're going ultimately going for a tailored modern chic look (RH) or a combo of that along with a softer cottage feel, which both come across and would look nice. I've got the crisp hotel-style shams with a dark stripe but the box-pleat skirt isn't coming out very well! So, here's the softer combination:

Anyway, I love this ... In the second pic, subtly more sand and shore with some blue in the throw (smokey amethyst which is beautiful with golden colors) and a ?moire pattern comforter swirling and shimmering like water.

Comforter tucked in, picking up on the neater more tailored look and a little lace trim on the pillow cases and bedskirt. Big chocolate shams behind the pillows. I like the darker value on the small bed pillow (this one is actually a leopard print!) -- maybe just some darker trim on the one you have?

Since you're not crazy about the bed -- I wonder if the footboard comes off? Also, maybe a chocolate/brown glaze to tone down the orange (test, test, test :)?

{{!gwi}}

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Soft and fluuuffy in brown, and trying the blue-gray-blue you were liking .... but with fresh linens! and finally got a tailored bedskirt (had to stitch it up myself :) The brown shams are still there, although that's probably too many pillows/depth ... you could just fold a brown ~wool throw over the back headboard (all but last pic).

• mcfromct
    Original Author
    16 years ago

squirrelheaven, are you an interior designer by any chance???!!! Gorgeous!!! I'm realizing that I lack vision which clearly you don't. Anyway, because all computer moniters are different, I'm bringing a drawer to the Benjamin Moore store to match with some of the paint swatches this weekend. Wish me luck and thank you again for your help!!

• moonshadow
    16 years ago

Excellent point about the drawer! (Have done that myself, drawers, pillows, sofa cushions. Be sure to carry your swatch choices and your drawer to front of store where there's lots of natural light. You'll see a difference as florescent lighting will throw colors off.)

Would love to know what you settle on!

• tinker_2006
    16 years ago

I don't have anything to say to help you, ince I struggle so with my own choices, but just wanted to say how much I love seeing your bedroom colorized by squirrel & moonshawdow.. making the choice that much harder I am sure!

• paddytc
    16 years ago

mcfromct--- I lied my master bedroom is BM Wythe blue. My Master bathroom is Palladian Blue