Dying mother or pregnant wife?
17 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (19)
- 17 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 17 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
Related Discussions
Lead Paint and Pregnant Wife in Old House
Comments (28)so, lead. it is toxic and we all know it is toxic and has long-term effects. there is no arguing about that. the most typical pathway is ingestion. generally, i am relatively unconcerned about adults living in a house with lead paint. adults don't eat off the floor or chew windowsills. they do, perhaps, pick up some object off the floor and then eat without washing their hands first. also, if there is a garden close to your house, where chips would fall in it. but, adults are big and developed and this amount of exposure typically isn't such a big deal. Science has shown us that low-levels of lead exposure in pregnant women that wouldn't be a big deal otherwise can cause some neurological defects. Nothing obvious like a third arm, but something less obvious like a learning problem later in life. Or maybe the IQ is 125 instead of 130. But, as adults, if we are aware of a potential risk we can avoid that risk. A pregnant woman living in a house with lead paint chips or lead paint on contact surfaces (door jambs, etc) should wash her hands frequently, particularly before eating. Vacuum more frequently than usual and frequently vacuum around window sills and doors. If you exercise some caution, I don't see any reason to replace the windows and trim because you have a pregnant person in the house. But by the time that baby becomes mobile, you do want to make sure that the lead issue has been taken care of. How you do this is up to you. You can have the windows replaced by a reputable contractor that follows lead-safe practices (this basically means they use a bunch of plastic sheeting) or you can start with the worst offenders and fix them yourself. If you do this, you want to make sure your work area is isolated and that you aren't making things worse by tracking paint chips and lead dust around. I'm really not going to get into how to do the work yourself, but focus on the doors and windows you use the most....See MoreWhat do you think about the 'pregnant man?'
Comments (60)OJ, I'm sorry for the loss of your cousin. I hope you were able to meet up with the others from that area while you were there, as you'd hoped. I'm not following what you mean in your last post ("How can we let this (cold) story do the same??"). Do you mean how can we let this story die? If so, I guess I think it should ... the "15 minutes of fame" has about run out. I don't think they should get the publicity that they're seeking, because it's not the miracle that they, and some of the media, are claiming. It's a woman having a baby (ok, that in itself is a miracle of nature, but you know what I mean :-) I know a transgendered person. Was male, became female. And to me she is a she and there's no question about it. She went all the way, had the surgeries, is a woman. I applaud her for the courage it took to do so. Can you imagine the social prejudices she had to endure throughout the course of the change, and even still? She must have been very, very sure of what she wanted if she went through all that. And now she's happy. How wonderful! But in this case, Thomas didn't do that. Physically he's still a woman doing what most women do - having a baby. (OJ, regarding your PS, I don't know if you're joking or if it's a real question, but "letter carrier" is the accepted term whether male or female)....See MoreMy 9yr old SD has hr long crying fits for her pregnant bio-mom
Comments (12)Custody and access are two seperate things. BD has always had joint custody. It's called joint conservators. He has not always had access. He had supervised access. Joint conservatorship basically means we both have exclusive rights and duties to the child. I have two exclusive rights he does not have. The right to designate residence and the right to make educational decisions. We both have the right to seek medical treatment, provide shelter, food and clothing; the right to inform the other conservator of any info concerning health, welfare and education. We both have the right to religious guidance. He has a duty I do not have and that is to provide child support payments in X amount per month. As far as access it's about 60/40 now. It's called expanded standard possession. He has set weekends and days of the week, we split spring break, christmas and thanksgiving. He has superior rights to designate his access during the summer. My access is all other times not outlined as his possession time. Sole custody is extremely hard to get. Even with all of the mess we have been through, bd has always been a joint conservator he just had limited Access for a while. If I had sole custody I would not have to tell him anything about health, school etc. He would not be able to confer with the school. Even with limited access he still had a right to speak to teachers or to get medical records. With expanded standard possession during the school year, on a month with 30 days, Bd has 12 days, I have 18 days. During the summer he averages about 40 total days and I average about 46 give or take a few during a summer break of about 88 days. That almost 50:50 during the summer. Does that make sense?...See More'when BM was pregnant'-your opinion
Comments (53)Ceph, don't worry. I think it's all in context. There are appropriate times to talk about things and inappropriate times. And that goes for nearly everything. I went out for lunch the other day to a Thai restaurant. Just me... ahhhhhh. I brought my book and planned a nice, leisurely lunch. This is a nicer restaurant, not a cafe/diner type. The table next to me had a bunch of women sitting there, and one woman spent the entire lunch talking, quite loudly, about her job as an undercover sting policewoman for prostitution. She talked about the johns, she talked about the prostitutes, she talked about guns and violence and, basically, her job. I was very disgusted. I'd rather she talked about placentas and mucous plugs. At least they are clean and natural and healthy. I did not want to hear about 14 year olds going into prostitution while eating my lunch. I finally asked for a to-go box and left. IMO, that was in poor taste. It's one thing if I were overhearing it, and quite another that she made it the business of the entire restaurant. I felt like her hostage. I don't watch Cops or CSI or anything like that because I don't like the images in my head. I think your job is something to be proud about. There is not much cleaner, more natural or worthy than helping life come to this world. It's in the highest class of professions and I have nothing but respect for doulas, midwives and the amazing ob/gyn who helped me when I gave birth to my dd. It truly was a testimony to her character that she supported my decisions and made sure the hospital stuck by my birth plan for the entire three days I was in labor and then helped me sneak the placenta out against hospital regulations so I could plant it under a tree (oh yes I did!)....See More- 17 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 17 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 17 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 17 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 17 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 17 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 17 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 17 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 17 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 17 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 17 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 17 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 17 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 17 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 17 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 15 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
Related Stories

HOUZZ TVHouzz TV: Cool Reclaimed Wood Projects Fill a Craftsman’s Home
Using barn wood, beadboard and beams, this homeowner has crafted furnishings and features for his family’s Chicago home
Full Story
SHOP HOUZZHouzz Products: Great Gifts for Mom
Mother’s Day is May 11! Let Mom know how much she means to you with one of these terrific gifts from the Houzz Products section
Full Story
MOTHER’S DAYWhat We've Learned From Mom About Home
Share cherished memories as Houzzers recall the special traits, insights and habits of their mothers
Full Story
APARTMENTSHouzz Tour: Life in a Converted School Building
A son renovates a space his mother can call her own when she comes to visit
Full Story
LIFEHouzz Call: What Has Mom Taught You About Making a Home?
Whether your mother taught you to cook and clean or how to order takeout and let messes be, we'd like to hear about it
Full Story
LIFEThe Beautiful Thing About Dad's Chair
My father had his own spot in the house. His father had his own spot. Now I have mine
Full Story
HOUZZ TOURSHouzz Tour: Pushing Boundaries in a Sydney Cottage
Expanding and adding on give an Australian family an extra bedroom, an office and — at long last — an indoor bathroom
Full Story
MODERN HOMESHouzz TV: A Son Builds on His Father’s Architectural Legacy
Architect Anthony Belluschi updates and expands a home that Northwest modernism pioneer Pietro Belluschi designed nearly 60 years ago
Full StorySponsored


thermometer