SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dotmom_gw

Don't be modest, what do you do well?

dotmom
14 years ago

Is there something, in your estimation, you do well?

I have been a knitter for years and have been very proud of the Aran sweaters I make. I've even designed several of them, but it seems no one in the family want heavy sweaters any more, so I've recently finished my last sweater.

Also I used to be a pretty good bowler with my last average being 178. The last night I bowled, was my best night. I had a 210, 217 and a 194 series. Then the league broke for the holidays, and the bowling lanes burned to the ground on New Years Eve. Dang!

Don't be modest, what do you do that you are proud of? Dottie

Comments (37)

• firemanswife
    14 years ago

I cook and bake. Anytime we have a potluck at work everyone askes me what I am going to bring. It's been kind of fun over the last 10 years at work we have had several cook off fund raisers and I win everytime. I won an apron and they keep challenging me to take it from and and so far I still have it.
    I also cater on the side and am pretty much booked all the time.

• juellie1962
    14 years ago

cook/bake and make soap :)

• Related Discussions

what vegetables don't do well with transplanting?

Q

Comments (10)
    If they can transplant heaRts, you can transplant any vegetable. But then again, not evry medical doctor can do heart transsplant. So it takes know how and pracice and extra care. I have bought cucumbers many time in those little 4 or 6 packs. In ecah pocKet if I had 4 PLANTS, I would separate then into 2 time two and plant each 2 separately and they will grow. What I do is soak those plants real good for about 30 minuts. They will eat and drink as mucH as they can. Now they are full. Take them out, pour more water on them if necessay , loosen them up separate them And plant them AND, WATER THEM RIGHTAWAY, GENTLY THOUROUGHLY, PACK FINE MOIST SOIL AROUND THEM, WATER THEM, FILL SOIL UP YO THEIR SEED LEAVE. MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.
    ...See More

What Do You Do When The Grass Don't Grow?

Q

Comments (21)
    Re: Bugs/"Circle of Death" My father-in-law has one of those old time Bernz-o-Matic propane bug foggers...you know: the kind you light with a match and it sends out a "James Bond" smoke screen of bug killer? MAN! is that thing fun to use!!! If you let it warm up REAL GOOD (HOT!) before you pull the spray trigger it will send out enough fog to make the house disappear from view from the street. On a calm night it's like something from a 1950's horror movie. GREAT toy!
    ...See More

What figs don't do well in the South and why

Q

Comments (1)
    Some figs that do well in cooler coastal regions are cultivars that produce good breba crops and certain other varieties that do not need lots of heat for them to ripen properly. Fluctuating warm/cold/warm/cold winter temperature cycles that often occur in the extreme south (in the winter and in early spring) can be murder on early breba fig crops. Also, the high humidity levels from the nearby Gulf of Mexico and heavy rains can cause many types of figs to lose flavor, split and/or go sour. Attached is a link which describes the growing characteristics of many of the figs that I grew in South Louisiana during 2010. It is a long rambling post; but, you should find some useful information in it regrading figs that do well in the deep south.....and some that do not do so well. Dan Here is a link that might be useful: Dan's Figs -- 2010 Season
    ...See More

Why don't roses do well in a hort show?

Q

Comments (2)
    Well, we can only guess - not having been there. My guess would be that the judges don't really feel comfortable judging roses since they don't grow them themselves. Thus they give the top prizes to the plants they are familiar with and feel comfortable judging.
    ...See More
  • Marilyn Sue McClintock
    14 years ago

Bake, cook and love my Izzi!

Sue

• OklaMoni
    14 years ago

Like you, I am an avid knitter, but hadn't been appreciated by hubby. Actually, still aren't. But my girls love the sweaters and afghans I made them, and now that I have grand baby, the possibilities are endless. :)

I also love to cook, bake, even so I don't do either much anymore. It's tough when hubby doesn't eat anything with fat in it (like butter, eggs, cheese etc) and then the daughter that lives nearby is vegan.... but we are about to have company and I get to cook. ;)

I also love gardening, and love to mentor others to get on a bike and ride. :)

Moni
    PS, the very best, has to be talking. I am a BIG talker!

• debnfla8b
    14 years ago

I crochet really well. I use the tiny thread to make tablecloths, doilies and bedspreads. Family appreciates the gifts I give them each year though. Crocheting with the thread seems to be a dying talent. I love when a pattern is really hard and I have to concentrate on the directions...just love it!
    I also quilt really well too. Mama taught me to quilt and she was a Master quilter...I hope to be able to quilt as well as she did eventually.
    I seem to be able to bake bread exceptionally well. I love handling the dough, the way it feels in your hands and that magic moment when the dough reaches the stage of being kneaded enough. I find it easy to throw things together and the end result is a loaf of bread like you would find in a bakery. I love making bread.

Deb

• soxxxx
    14 years ago

I am good at being a grandma. Neither of mine paid much attention to me, so I try extra hard. If my DGD is not completely "spoiled" I am a failure.

• hallngarden
    14 years ago

knitting, quilting, I am a good talker, but my friends always tell me that I am also a good listener. Also good at being a grandmama.

• phyllis__mn
    14 years ago

I am really, really good at procrastinating.....if there were a competition, I've no doubt that I would win.

• des_arc_ya_ya
    14 years ago

I must be good at making people feel better. I've heard several times in my life that just by being around someone I can cheer them up, etc.

I'm a good speller (most of the time).

I think that I'm a good grandma and I hope that I was a good mom. My DD tells me so, at least.

• marlingardener
    14 years ago

I'm a good bread baker, a good gardener, a good rose grower, and not bad at painting walls! My chickens think I'm a good mother hen.

• carol_in_california
    14 years ago

I am good at solving problems in innovative ways.
    Also I am a very good cook.

• good36
    14 years ago

Sewing and baking.

• heather_on
    14 years ago

I used to be great at crocheting with the thinner threads and loved complicated patterns too, loved knitting as well. My hobbies have changed over the years and i do a lot of quilling with paper strips (not quilting), tea bag folding, stamping, cardmaking and scrapbooking. I'm not happy unless I am using my hands and creating.

• bigack
    14 years ago

Pretty good cook and baker. Used to do a lot of crochet and knitting before my thumbs got sore. I love photography and like to think I'm good at it.

I'm VERY GOOD at reading, lol.

• Jodi_SoCal
    14 years ago

I'm known throughout my company for the ability to create complex animations in Powerpoint.

Jodi-

• bigfoot_liz
    14 years ago

i am exceptional at organizational things and efficiency, it happens to also be my job. i have always made it my life's work to do my job sooo well that i become indespensible. i have mastered every single job i have ever done.

i LOVE detailed, difficult challenging things. i do counted x-stitch on tiny linens, can sew couture clothes etc...i am just getting back into crochet & knitting and already trying to jump the gun and try stuff before my skill level catches up lol. i am a very good baker from scratch, have alot of chemistry knowledge so that helps.

i am also a great dog/cat mommie and auntie to a set of 4.5yr twins who were over the moon yesterday w/ the big valentine's day goodie box i sent them :-) i try to be a good wife too LOL i am DH's biggest supporter! ~ liz

• chubby_rat
    14 years ago

I am good at crocheting,use the tiny thread and yarn.In fact,I found a tiny "yarn" at the fleamarket here,it's Mexican yarn.They use it for some sort of hooking,I use it as I would the tiny crochet thread,same size and the colors are outstanding! So much more variety and brightness in the little yarn than the thread.Possibilities are endless with this stuff! Doesn't take much to thrill me! LOL!I'm covering Christmas Balls with it and am making a lot of the NFL team colors.
    I'm also good at cooking but since I can't stand long,don't make to many BIG meals anymore.I feel I'm a good "mommy" to my little poopers (dogs) too!

• debbyga
    14 years ago

I'm a very good cook and baker. I also am a very good diplomat. (yes, me and Bill Clinton!) I can smooth things over and have never once had a patron mad at me for any reason in the four years I've worked at the library. The same cannot be said for anyone else who works there. I was told this just the other day.

I do envy all of you who can knit and crochet. I am in awe of some of the creative stuff you can do.

• Jasdip
    14 years ago

Hey with all the cooks and bakers here at the KT, why aren't more people contributing to the daily recipe thread? sniff, sniff.

I'm an excellent speller, good cook, and a procrastinator.
    I'm terrific with animals. Our 3 cats are always on or around me, and the Standardbred horses that I work with a few days a week know and respect me. Often I'm told by my "boss" to take so and so out of his stall because he (the horse) likes me, and not him.

• lindaohnowga
    14 years ago

Loving and spoiling my daughter and grandkids. Friends rave about the cards and crafts I make.

• terilyn
    14 years ago

I'm a good organizer and party planner, love to entertain and deal with all the details, can make myself a little crazy with the pressure I put on myself sometimes!

• roseluver
    14 years ago

I am great at growing roses, A good cook, I have won regional cookoffs. I am fair at sewing but love to try.
    I am a Master Gardener, so I do love to garden. Most important I am a good grandmother.

• casey_nfld
    14 years ago

Photography, or so I've been told. I am also very good at cross stitch although I haven't done any in a while. I've done some complicated patterns in the past. I'm also very good at trivia games and expert crossword puzzles.

• joann23456
    14 years ago

I'm good at saying things that everyone is thinking but no one else wants to say. I am able to get things out in the open so that people can discuss the issue, instead of talking around it. Fortunately, I have good people skills, so I don't alienate people.:)

I'm good at listening and helping people work through problems, without trying to solve them for them. I'm especially good at listening to children, and kids have always talked to me.

I also sing very well. One of the nicest compliments I ever received about my voice came from a friend who said, "With some people, one thinks, 'She has a lovely voice,' but with you, one thinks, 'Where is she performing and how much are they paying her?'"

I'm pretty good at cooking and baking, and I enjoy them a lot. I also enjoy gardening, mostly in a "painting with flowers" sort of way.

This is a cool thread. I especially like hearing that people still crochet with thread. My grandmother did this, and tried to teach me, but I was never very good at it. I do love the results, though.

• donna_loomis
    14 years ago

I am the master of the keyboard, LOL. I can type about 90 words a minute. At work, in addition to the keyboard at the computer, we still use a typewriter for file labels and a few other things. I type so fast that the machine can't keep up with me and for several seconds after I am done typing and have moved away from the typewriter, it is still typing.

I am also very good at knitting and crocheting. After all, I've been perfecting the crafts for more than 45 years!

• pris
    14 years ago

I'm not at all creative. I do crochet but don't consider mastering the stitches and following a pattern being creative. I really admire those who can create the pattern and possibly new stitches and ways to create the item. I could never do that. I can make or do almost anything as long as the instructions are clear. I used to make all my on clothes and sometimes for other members of the family but, again, I was following a pattern and detailed instructions if alterations were necessary. I did work all my life and only lost one job due to the company being bought out by another. I tried to do every job to the best of my ability and think I pretty well succeeded in going as far as I could before retirement. Not very exciting but can't complain.

• sharon_fl
    14 years ago

Well, terilyn pretty much summed up alot of my strengths. I am right now in the midst of helping coordinate a May 22nd wedding-making all of the silk bouquets, boutineers, centerpieces & the wedding cake.Plus I'll be hostessing the affair as well..the microphone & I have been good buddies for many a year.
    I am known amongst many places in PA & FL for my cooking & baking (was a cook for 40+yrs and owned a nightclub & also a restaurant.
    Pretty clever at room decor makeovers-love doing that but what I'm passionate about that I love to do? Dance!!

• notjannaz10
    14 years ago

My X-stitch designs have been published (years ago) and have won ribbons at our county fair (even more years ago). And I'm a published author--but not since 2004.

Jann-whose really slowing down these days!

• deemarie5500
    14 years ago

I am a very good eater --- just a hint for all of your chefs and bakers. lol!

• marry
    14 years ago

I'm a good Mom and Grandma! I'm a very good cook and baker too! I'm also very good at coming up with interesting ways to do different things.

• ann_in_florida
    14 years ago

I'm good at planning and organizing fund raisers and events.

• jemdandy
    14 years ago

Take naps.

Fair at landscape photography.

Servicing our vehicles and minor repairs.

Can tutor Algebra and begining Calculus.

• Rudebekia
    14 years ago

Very good at writing, editing, and teaching. Luckily, that's my career! Also quite good at bicycle riding, walking/hiking, planning trips, house cleaning. Not great at cooking because I don't really like to do it. Terrible at any sport that requires hand-eye coordination.

• lydia1959
    14 years ago

I'm usually pretty good at making invitations and cards. I started making my own invitations for things back before I had a computer... so I'd do a lot of actual cutting, pasting and typing and then would take it all to a copier somewhere. It's way easier now with my computer programs. :-)

I'm good at internet searches (I have a couple lazy friends who use me to find them stuff! lol). I'm pretty creative and can come up with cheap and easy ideas and/or and trash to treasure projects.

• Marcia Thornley
    14 years ago

I have a green thumb. I love gardening. I watched my father very closely as a child and learned what would grow where and how look after a garden.
    I like to use my imagination to create things. This helps at work when I do up flyers and advertising brochures. It's fun for me to do this. Not work at all! I love making cards and invitations.
    Also like Lydia I can find most anything on the internet. My friends rely on me to find them information.

• kathi_mdgd
    14 years ago

I'm very good at sewing,crafts,quilting and gardening.

I'm also very good at basic math,and can do fractions in my head,which seems to blow peoples minds,especially when i worked in a quilt store.

I'm good at gardening and love to start things from seeds and plant something that someone tells me won't grow here.My motto is you don't know unless you try!!

I hate cooking,and so glad i have a dh that enjoys it,otherwise i might have vending machines in my kitchen!! LOL,NOT

I have a good outlook on life in general,and try to always see the positive.

I'm a good mom,nana,to my kids,GK'S GGK's.

Kathi

• stephanie_in_ga
    14 years ago

I do a great story time for kids. I read outloud well and ask kids good questions to follow up. I love being the "mystery reader" on special days for my kids' classes. I am good at leading discussions. I have good communication and people skills that make me successful at leading groups. I am good at public speaking, don't usually get nervous about that at all.