SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jessyf_gw

Philadelphia Phly by

jessyf
12 years ago

I'm home, my laundry is done, mail gone through, time to post my trip recap.

Before Irene paid a visit, I was in the wonderful City of Brotherly Love, this past week. Because I was on my own for part of it, I was able to spend quality time with some CF homies. I took advantage of my free time to meet with Pam (dedtired) again. It was a midweek visit so I couldn't hook up with lpink, Alexa or Susie. I also rented a car and drove out to visit with Ruthanna and Cloudy Christine (Karen) because last time I was there I was dragged to what seemed every quilt shop in Lancaster by DH. I wanted a non-tourist and foodie view of the area!

Pam and I went for dinner not far from her home, at a lovely neighborhood restaurant. We yakked for hours, I didn't look at the train schedule going back into town, missed it by minutes, so we yakked some more until the next train took me away. No gift exchange this time, Pam wouldn't let me, LOL!

Pam ordered a lovely Chinese chicken salad - and I, of course, had to order the brisket (with lots of BBQ sauce) in honor of FOAS.

The two of us - Pam is on the right

The next day was Ruthanna and Karen. Note to future CF meet-ups: when you decide to meet at a restaurant, make sure you specify inside or outside! A bit of a misunderstanding and a few minutes later, we were reunited - Karen was waiting in the restaurant, I was in front, but it all worked out. I had previous contact with Karen - once upon a time she had posted that she was looking for membrillo, a Spanish Quince paste. It is easily available to me at a Spanish import store so I sent her some, and she returned some Pennsylvania Dutch noodles (deeelish!)

Karen picked a restaurant in Morgantown, about an hour (in the rain) drive for me. Everyone who walked by me while I was waiting said hello with a smile and offered a few words of greeting. Karen had already had breakfast - so Ruthanna and I ordered lunch. She got a roast pork sandwich, and I ordered somthing I could not get easily in Los Angeles - Pennsylvania Chicken Pot Pie. I knew from the forum that it would be crustless, topped with square noodles. It was absolutely delicious and tasted just like I expected. I am looking forward to making it for the family when the weather turns cool.

Ruthanna's sandwich:

My pot pie:

After lunch we exchanged gifts.

I brought California Graber olives, a bottle of one of my favorite California olive oils (Pasolivo), for dipping/salad dressings, and another container of membrillo.

Karen got us each one of those food pods which will come in handy for tomato canning season (gulp, right now).

Ruthanna shared some of her favorite middle eastern spices, one each for lamb, chicken and beef. I find all companies make different variations of the same thing and each has a distinct flavor that I can't buy again (sniff). Ruthanna also included some cookies that disappeared on my drive back into town and - get this - a package of real, authentic PA Dutch noodles AND a printed recipe for Chicken Pot Pie from this website.! How about that!

The three of us - BFFs! Ruthanna on the left, middle me, Karen on the right.

After lunch the two took me around the area. Unfortunately Thursday is not an active farmers market day but thems the breaks. I'm really bummed that I did not get to try some of the best best best produce in the country. I did get to one quilt shop that I had visited - I wanted to pick up Amish quilted pot holders. We mostly used the drive time to talk, get history and local culture lessons, and see the local stores, and talk forum talk. Ruthanna and Karen, please fill in details that I missed in the following narrative!

We stopped at two memorable stores (I can't remember the names) where I walked around for a bit and took it all in. All sorts of different Amish, Mennonite people and I enjoyed hearing the differences. In the first one, a department store, I remember looking at a very very bright orange hooded sweatshirt and asking 'why?' - um, hunting. Of course. The second store was a grocery store where I learned LOTS. I found out that 'Monterey Mushrooms', although headquartered in Monterey, CA, actually grew their shrooms locally where it is the mushroom capitol of the world. Ruthanna showed me 'chipped beef' with dried beef - I wish I could have bought some to bring home. We walked by the deli station and they both explained all the different foods that are local. When DH and I visited Lancaster, we asked for a restaurant that served local foods. DH thought we were directed to one of the tour bus tourist traps because he thought things like the beets were canned from a food service company. I see now that most of the items were 'canned' - but in a home-canning way, so I'm glad we were disabused of that notion.

Some of the produce was noted as local and/or home grown, nice to see that represented. Look, I've graduated from persimmons to (home grown, all natural) cabbages!

The day was wonderful, the weather near perfect. The last picture I want to share is Ruthanna's tattoo. It is beautiful and shows me such a pride of heritage. I'll let her tell you more. You go home grrrrl!

Thank you all for taking time to spend with me, I love PA! (cue Randy Newman)

And everyone STAY SAFE!!!

Comments (18)

• cloudy_christine
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

We had a great time! I'd never met Ruthanna even though we only live an hour apart, and I missed Jessica's last visit, so I was really glad we could all get together last Thursday.
    I didn't tell them but I was actually delaying a trip my daughter's in Connecticut so I wouldn't miss this get-together!(We didn't go the next day anyway because of the hurricane.) As always seems to happen when forum members meet, it was as if we'd always known each other (And we had, almost. It's been years.)
    Jessica has promised us that next time she'll be here on a Friday so we can take her to the amazing Green Dragon market.

• mustangs81
    12 years ago

What a nice report! You provided all the details for me to get a sense of what a great visit you had. And I enjoyed hearing about some of the places I visited while working in PA.

So nice to see some long time CF friends. I certainly remember the persimmons and, yes, it's about time you graduated to cabbages!

Thanks for sharing.

• dedtired
    12 years ago

Hi. Only time for a quick response. Power is out at home (thank you, Irene) and I am using the slowest computer in the world at my mother's house. Jessy and I had so much fun catching up. Too bad about the train but we filled in the time talking. I wouldn't let Jessy bring gifts but I did manage to buy myself a necklace as we were browsing around, so I will always associate it with this visit.

I was bummed to miss Ruthanna and CC. We had out of town relatives visiting and there was no escaping that.

I hope I can go on the Green Dragon trip. Haven't been there in ages, and that place is interesting -- not touristy at all.

Dying to hear the story behind Ruthanna's tattoo!! Nice set of cabbages, Evil One.

• susie_que
    12 years ago

Oh how I wish I could have gone out to dutch country with the ladies!
    My schedule is pretty crazy these days!

I havent been to the green dragon in about 3 years! So just let me know so I can take a few days off!!

Glad you all had a good time!!
    Cheers!
    Susie

• Gina_W
    12 years ago

What? No "I'm Evil" tee-shirt? Yer slippin' girl! Looks like a fun time and Whiskey-Tango-Foxtrot I am blown away that Ruthanna has a tattoo - would not have guessed that in a million years!

• User
    12 years ago

Gina, I was thinking the same thing.

Sounds like a great get together with some special forum friends.

Ann

• wizardnm
    12 years ago

Geez, I'm slipping. I would have sworn I already posted on this thread.

Looking good girls!!! I 'm not sure what I like best, the cabbages or the tattoo....I think the tattoo, at one time I did that style of painting. Nice Ruthanna!!!

I know you all had fun.

Nancy

• shaun
    12 years ago

Sounds like you had a great time! Always love seeing pictures of our friends here.

Let's hear about that tattoo!

• arley_gw
    12 years ago

Jessy, too bad you didn't chance upon this scene while you were in Philly.

Here is a link that might be useful: flash brindisi

• jessyf
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I decided no 'Evil' T-shirt - it's a forum inside joke and I didn't want to go too public with it. Besides last two times I wore it in my area I was identified by two lurkers (you there Denise?) who ended up being nice people, LOL.

Yes, Green Dragon next time I'm out with time on my hands and no family.

Arley, Philly Opera also did a flash mob in Wannamaker's. Dang it, I walked by the OCP several times while downtown and really wanted to stop in and ask if they would have another one while I was there. Like they would tell me!

• lindac
    12 years ago

Seems I missed this.....what fun you all had!!
    And I trust the boy-chik is safely ensconced in his spot?
    Linda C

• dedtired
    12 years ago

Still waiting for the tattoo story.

We are leery of flash mobs in Philadelphia these days due to a bunch of rowdy teens who used social media to arrange a flash mob that turned violent. Now police are really enforcing the early curfew.

My cable is finally back. Hurray. An earthquake, Evil Jessy and a hurricane all in one week truly set a new record.

• dedtired
    12 years ago

And thanks for posting a picture of Chicken Pot Pie, as I have always known it -- made in a pot, with noodles and broth. I always pick the chicken off the bone and stir it in with the broth.

The other stuff with a crust is Chicken Pie or Chicken Dinner Pie to most people around here. Love both of them.

• annie1992
    12 years ago

Yum, it all looks good. That sandwich of Ruthanna's is known as a "hot pork" around here. We also do hot turkey, hot beef, hot chicken, hot ham and hot mealoaf! The "hot" simply means that it comes with mashed potatoes and is covered with gravy.

That tattoo looks kind of "Pennsylvania Dutch/Quilt" style. Come on, Ruthanna, the story about the tattoo. I'm waiting. Heck, I'm such a big wuss that I didn't even get my ears pierced until I was 27, and then I had two BIG margaritas and got my ears pierced. I still don't like tequila!

OK, An earthquake, a hurricane, and Jessica. Philly will never be the same. (grin) Nice cabbages, Jessica!

OK, so how big is that pod? Big enough for more than five or six tomatoes?

Annie

• coconut_nj
    12 years ago

What a great time you had here. Excellent visits too, not to mention nice gifts all around. Next time if you're in town on a Thursday and aren't going out to Lancaster you should consider coming across the bridge and check out our giant Farmers Market in Columbus. It's the biggest in the state and and it's main day is Thursday, although it's also open Fri.,Sat., and Sunday. Big ole flea market plus all kinds of stores/stands inside. It was originally a stock sale. A nice Mennonite area too. Glad all of you had a good time. You got out of town just in time, eh? LOL.

Here is a link that might be useful: Columbus Farmers Market

• cloudy_christine
    12 years ago

Annie, the Food Pod would hold six, maybe seven medium-size round tomatoes, at most. Three huge ones. With plum tomatoes, you can get a lot in.
    I really like mine, but I do wish they made a larger one too. Maybe there are structural limits. Even though it doesn't hold a whole lot, it's great when you're blanching and peeling, because you can lift everything out at once. Otherwise the last peach out of the water is in too long.

• annie1992
    12 years ago

Thanks, CC, I was hoping it was larger, but wasn't optimistic. I know we've discussed them here before.

Annie

• ruthanna_gw
    12 years ago

What a fun day! It's always a treat to meet forum members who you've posted with for a long time. Jessica pretty much covered the highlights of our cruising around the area, except for the Intervention which prevented her son from being the only college freshman whose mom bought him boots to wear when it rained. LOL She brought a California map so we could see where she and other western CF'ers live.

I thoroughly enjoyed meeting The Evil One and the Cloudy One and look forward to the next CF GTG. Thanks again for the goodies. I've already used the pod for blanching peaches and it's a good size for my everyday cooking for two.

The un-exotic story of the tattoo is that it was a 60th birthday gift to myself. The design is a typical PA Dutch motif that I've used variations of in needlework projects since I was a little girl.

Annie, They're hot pork (beef, turkey, ham) sandwiches here too and on the menu of every diner or family restaurant. It was perfect fare since I recently had dental surgery.