SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gideonsmom

Denim Cushion Covers: Apparel Weight or Upholstery Weight

gideonsmom
15 years ago

Hi!

I have a question for any sewing gurus out there. I'm trying to make inexpensive cushion covers for my parents old midcentury modern sofas. They're almost like twin beds, and I need about 21 yards of fabric to do the 2 sofas and a chair, so I'm looking for inexpensive fabric.

I think I've decided on denim because it's safe and I can pair it with really funky pillows. But I've seen upholstery denim for 11 dollars a yard (on sale) and apparel denim on sale for 7 dollars a yard, I can't tell the difference between the upholstery denim and the apparel denim. Is there one?

Also, Is sewing with denim a nightmare? I have VERY basic sewing skills, but the cushions look very basic. I would like to do welting, but that might not happen as that looks a little more complicated. The only tough part seems like that the cushions are so long it might get all bunchy in the machine.

---I did price out having someone else do it, but the whole point is to do it cheaply. For the price of having someone else do it, I could basically get another cheap sofa set.

Comments (10)