SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lowspark1

Samples at the Grocery Store - do they entice you to buy?

lowspark
14 years ago

Yesterday I did a quickie run to Central Market to pick up a couple of cantaloupes which they had on sale for 99¢. I did not need anything else and the idea was to run in, grab a couple, and run out.

But the thing is, CM always has samples, and I just couldn't resist a quick jaunt through the store for some goodies. I tried cantaloupe (of course!), corn salsa, bagel w/cream cheese, pagnotta bread with butter, hatch chili tortilla, stuffed grape leaves, knockworst, and probably a couple more things I don't remember now. Note that all of these things are just sitting out for the taking. You just walk by and grab some. (Also note this was at 5pm on a Monday. You should SEE what they have to offer on a Saturday morning! It's a MEAL!)

In the end, I purchased my cantaloupes and a bottle of wine ($5.99 couldn't pass it by). As I was walking to my car, musing about the samples, I wondered how many people buy something they hadn't planned on buying based on a sample they tried. Come to think of it, I almost never do.

Do you?

Comments (30)