SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
moonkat99

Home Office - Help w/ Moulding - CM & Doors

15 years ago

I ripped out the paneling & shelving that covered one wall, & I'm SO glad I did that! It opens this tiny room up so much! The question of the day is what to do w/ the moulding around the door, & the crown. I tacked the quarter round back up, & the easiest route would be to just fix that, but I think a small CM would look better, even though that might not happen right away.

The door moulding is an issue for a couple of reasons: 1. the height of ceiling, which slants down to 6.5' on the window wall, so there is only 3" between the upper right corner of the door & the ceiling, and 2. the mishmash of mouldings throughout the house. The other door in this room has the most elaborate door moulding of any other door in the house, & there's no way to match that on this door. The other mouldings in the house are very simple - some are basic slabs, & some are simple slants.

Wall w/ shelving:

Now (with a sample of molding that's 2.25" wide; it could work here, but I'm not crazy about it:

The other door:

I keep being drawn to this fluted moulding (although for this door I would need a narrower version):

{{!gwi}}

Several of the rooms in the house have beadboard wainscoting or t&g walls, so perhaps I'm drawn to the fluted moulding because of how it echoes those lines. I'm also willing to change out the door moulding in some of the other doors, so that some continuity could be created.

What do you think about the fluted, or any other ideas? & how would you treat that upper corner?

Just for an idea of what else is going on w/ doors, here's the front door, which I'm also stymied on moulding style (the right side moulding area is VERY narrow)

And this is an example of what most of the doors are like. You can also see the narrower moulding in the kitchen door:

*sigh* Squeaking for helpful advice, here!

Comments (2)