SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ruthanna_gw

What are your 'signature ingredients'?

ruthanna_gw
13 years ago

We had a post about "signature dishes" but do you have any "signature ingredients"? IÂm thinking of ingredients that you use more often than others, ones that youÂll add to a recipe even if itÂs not listed, ones that might not be a usual ingredient in the cooking of your friends and relatives?

I can think of two for myself  marjoram and celery leaves. IÂve always felt sorry for marjoram, which lost popularity after oregano sales surged in the post WWII era. I use it with pork, in Middle Eastern dishes, with beans, and to flavor soups and stews (often in combination with beer).

IÂve been lucky enough to always find a source for untrimmed celery wherever I lived and use the darker green leaves not present on grocery store celery at least a few times a week. I use them chopped in many kinds of salads, as a companion for diced onions in stewed meat, seafood and vegetable dishes, and as a substitute for fresh parsley. They add a subtle flavor that makes people say the dish tastes good but not strong enough to ask "WhatÂs that in the salad?"

What would you say are your top two or three "signature ingredients"?

Comments (26)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County