SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jiggreen

stay in park, move to house or move doublewide? long!

jiggreen
18 years ago

hi! i live in a 2178 square foot doublewide. it's a 1996 colony laurel model, and i must say, i LOVE IT. that being said, i don't like the fact that it is on rented land, 1/4 acre in a pretty nice mobile home park (most are doublewides and most sit facing the street, not end facing street). my lot rent is 295.00 a month, which includes nothing except the lot. (we pay trash, water, sewer, all utilities, etc....) we have been tossing around the idea of moving to a "real" house, as an investment in our future. i am frustrated by the fact that mobile homes tend to depreciate over time instead of appreciating in value. as well as the fact that the 295.00 per month will never get me anywhere as opposed to a land payment. with all of that being said, i am torn as to what to do. we have been looking for a home in the 120-150 thousand dollar range and i have found that i cannot replicate anywhere near the size nor amenities i have in my current home. (huge master bath with jacuzzi tub, very large kitchen with upgraded appliances, 3 bedrooms, large kitchen, family room, living room and dining room) we have made our home much more houselike than mobile homelike, but still the value is not as great as it should be as we are on rented land and when all is said and done, it still is a mobile home. here's the dilemna, since i've nearly ruled out purchasing a new house, would it be worth it for me to move this? does the value go up that much by putting a doublewide on a foundation on it's own property, or will it be a never-ending battle of depreciation? property values in our area are really starting to escalate, does that have any effect on mobiles in the area (even if they are on rented land?). it would seem logical that the less affordable the "real" houses are in the area, the more valuable the well-maintained newer mobile homes would be, but i am not sure. i have done some sleuthing but ours is one of the largest mobiles around here and it's hard to find any recent sales to compare it to. a current real estate listing has a single wide on a 1/4 acre piece of land going for 129,000. my real estate agent has told me she would list my home for about 65,000. other mobiles (much smaller, approximately 30%-50% smaller) in my neighborhood are listing for between 20,000.00 and 40,000.00.

sorry this is so long, i tried to outline my dilemna as accurately as possible.

all opinions are welcome!

jiggreen

Comments (12)

Sponsored