SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mygardenwebname

Moving soon......need helpful insight. Long!

mygardenwebname
17 years ago

I am moving in the relatively near future and I'd like some helpful insight.

I'm sure everyone here has an opinion, so lets have it. :)

This description is kinda long, sorry, but I have a lot on my mind.

I am tired of living with sheeple in suburbia, and merely existing from day to day, not following my dreams.

So, I intend to try to do something about it. I want to build a great place for me, my daughter and close loved ones,

Kinda like Walton's mountain. Yes I am a romantic idealist....so sue me.

It may not happen, but that's what I'm shooting for. If you don't have a target, you'll never hit it, right?

I have no illusions that I'll find all of this in one place (I know "paradise" doesn't exist), I'm just hoping to get close.

I have seen places like this (honest).

Work shouldn't be a problem (I am in the dental field), however, I am reeeeallly hoping my next move will be my last, so I am trying to take my time in choosing a place. There are several factors to consider:

Me in a nut shell:

**Early thirties, divorced, have one daughter that lives in DFW, Texas half the year. So I'd prefer to stay somewhere relatively close.

**Non-Denominational Bible believing Christian.

**I am a Constitutionalist/Libertarian

Socially liberal - Long hair is cool (though not usually attractive on most guys). I believe in legalizing marijuana.

I don't smoke it, but I would if it was legal.

I generally feel like you should be able to do whatever you want - we don't need a law for every freaking eventuality.

What I do is no one else's business unless what I'm doing is going to affect someone one else negatively (like drunk driving, for instance).

Seat belt laws and laws saving me from myself are utter crap. Personal freedom is very important to me.

Being gay is ok, I just don't morally agree with it, that doesn't mean we can't get along. Bush and Clinton are both Satan's minions,

they have screwed up so much in this country.

**Financially conservative - The less government, the better. Cut spending and services WAY down. Focus more on debt reduction,

social improvement projects and such.

**I love outdoors activities: kayaking, horse riding, ATVs, fishing, hiking, rock climbing, skiing.....you get the idea.

Sport hunting is just dumb (trophy hunting is just for stroking your ego, IMO), hunting for food is fine.

Live and let live. Id rather watch the wildlife than kill it.

Conserving our wild spaces is important to me.

**I am an artist, a photographer, and I love music. A community of some of these people would be nice,

although I can communicate well enough online.

What I want:

**I am looking for something that reminds me of the "The Shire" from the Lord of the Rings, for lack of a better description.

I intending to build a self sustaining "off the grid", homestead type parcel of land with a house that looks akin to a "Hobbit Hole" or earth shelter. I don't have to live WAY in the boonies, just someplace rural enough for solitude, but close enough for business with enough acreage that I don't hear any traffic and I can legally shoot my guns if I want to. I actually enjoy (in moderation) a close-knit community that has festivals, music and fun things to do.

**Pasture land for my animals with a stream and/or lake access on the property with a nice view of some mountains.

**Decent access to good shopping (30 min. to an hour away is fine).

I prefer a good selection of mom & pop stores to "chains" (I can buy "chain" stuff easily enough online).

Good local restaurants and entertainment are also a plus. I love going to the movies.

**Low crime rate, friendly community and a good school system for my daughter.

**Very gun friendly environment. I carry concealed and own several weapons. I believe an armed society is a polite society.

**Low tax burden and cost-of-living. Possible tax-breaks for people with renewable energy (I know a few states do this).

I state all of this just so you know where I'm coming from, not to start a flamewar over anything. :D

I am thinking the Ozarks area of Arkansas, the Blue Ridge/Smokies area of Tennessee, Virginia and Kentucky,

or Northern Alabama and Georgia are the best places to start. A comparative analysis by someone whose lived

in the Ozarks AND Appalachians, and even the Rockies would be greatly appreciated.

Alaska, Wyoming, and Idaho don't quite work for me. I don't care to be cold that long and its too far from my daughter.

Texas is likely out because I detest mid/east Texas, prolly has something to do with my ex, scrubby brushland and DFW in general,

so I will stick to the aforementioned areas, unless given a good reason not to.

New Hampshire, Vermont and Wyoming were great as far as general cost-of-living and political climate,

but weather and distance seem too prohibitive. Land prices are RIDICULOUS though. I am undecided about Oregon and Washington.

I used the NRA website, All Experts Encyclopedia at About.com , Wikis, City-Search.com , Sterling's "Best Places"

and Findyourspot.com as starting points for my search. Any other help/suggestions are most welcome.

Feel free to email me at electricecho@gmail.com .

I like the sound of rolling hills/foothills with mountains, streams and lakes nearby.

Flat land/prairie.....blech

Desert....blech

High on a mountain....blech...pretty, but too much trouble.

Ocean.....I love the ocean, but the only place with mountains and ocean that isn't ice cold is the NW.

So far the candidate order is:

#1 Arkansas - Mountain Home, Berryville, Heber Springs, Mena

Someone PLEASE compare/contrast Ozarks and Appalachia. Is one any preferable to the other?

#2 Virginia - (is prop. tax bad here?..and is the lack of income tax in TN more preferable overall to the lower sales tax and food tax in VA?)

Abingdon, Bristol, Lynchburg

#3 Tennessee - Bristol, Chattanooga (outskirts), Tullahoma, Clarksville, Copperhill, Maryville, Johnson City

#4 Georgia - Ellijay, Ringgold, McCaysville (Is it less regulatory in TN vs GA?) Northern GA is BEAUTIFUL.

#5 Alabama - Gadsden, Fort Payne (Any other good mountain cities?)

#6 Kentucky - Owensboro, Murray, Bowling Green, Berea

#7 Missouri - Branson Area (MO is better "on paper", but I keep hearing AR is better from those that actually live there. )

Possible entrant:

Oklahoma: Poteau (OK is better "on paper" than AR, as far as taxes)

Comments (34)