SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
funkyart_gw

Bedside tables in small BR

funkyart
11 years ago

I am struggling with a floor plan for the primary bedroom in my new house. I say primary vs master-- because it's very small by modern standards for a "master". The room is 9 x 12 and has an entry door, door to bath and closet. I will be putting my queen size bed on the 9' wall which leaves me limited room on either side for bedside table.

I am deviating from my inspiration (photo provided by a GWer-- thank you!)because of the size of the room and the fact that I don't have the gorgeous floors and windows that I think are key to the look. I am still borrowing from it and a new inspiration photo. The bed will sit under the high and wide windows typical of 60s ranch style homes and at least for now, I don't plan to use a headboard or footboard (I've entertained a few options-- but I've passed on all for fear that they will overtake the room and take up precious width). The bed will be dressed with a lavender/sage plaid blanket, a cream embroidered quilt and an ivory linen duvet.

I'd like a pair of interesting wood tables but so far these two mahogany side tables are the only ones I've found that have a nice wood grain. I'd prefer something a little more interesting but I like these and they would fit perfectly-- they are more than I'd like to spend ($550/pair) however, I'll go that high if required.

I also found these which are much less but not nearly as nice. I don't particularly like them but they provide much more storage and I think could be much more charming painted. I'd get the pair for less than $100.

Both tables will require a lamp and the bf uses a cpap and laptop. I tend to accumulate "stuff".. books, ipad, glasses.

There's no question that I prefer the mahogany tables but in addition to the cost, I am concerned that they are too formal for a room with no bed and with such simple bedding. In my mind's eye they are perfect but I fear they'll end up looking silly.

Which would you go with-- or would you continue looking?

Comments (30)

• cindyloo123
    11 years ago

I love those mahogany tables but would never pay that price for them. If I were you I'd get a price on having custom tables made. Get the pull out tray built in to the top and design the remaining area to suit your storage needs.

Surely you will put up something that "simulates" a headboard eventually right? Anything that hangs on the wall as opposed to attaching to the bedframe will solve your space problem. Even a simple row of empty picture frames or a shelf, etc.

Are you making sure to get the right height on your tables? Beds used to be much lower than we keep them now and getting the right height is important. And if you have storage issues, consider raising your bed as high as you can!

• funkyart
    Original Author
    11 years ago

For reference here are my inspiration photos-- first the original which I've had to drop as the primary inspiration... followed by two others which seem to work better for my room.

I think this room keeps some of the simplicity of the first but is a bit softer. I plan to use plainer curtains and the walls will have less color (considering SW Ancient Marble). I AM considering a new iron bed--the Quatrefoil from RH which has much straighter lines than my current (for those who remember it) but it will add an extra 4" to the width required for the bed.

This bed dressing and WT with the wooden trunk/side table from the above photo would make me very happy.

• Related Discussions

no room for bedside table - lighting?

Q

Comments (15)
    Thanks for the ideas everyone! eliza, unfortunately I donÂt know how to tell you to post a picture. Can you describe the bookshelf (dimensions, is it at the head of the bed or along the side, etc.)? Does your daughter bump her head into it? valinsv, I agree about liking the "daybed" kind of feel of the bed against the wall. We too sit back against the wall while weÂre reading. 3dgrad, I do have a swing arm wall lamp, but it's pretty big and seems like it would stick out too far from the wall into the bed space. I think I still have some smaller wall sconces that I might try. I hope I still have themÂthey were in the "going to Goodwill" box at one point. Now that you mention it, I have seen a little folding shelf thing like you described, but forgot all about it. Thanks for the idea. budge, there is a headboard, so a clamp lamp might be what we end up with. Does yours get knocked around? ThatÂs kind of my dilemma, a clamp lamp will be down near pillows and such, but a wall-mounted lamp will be up where the light might glare down too much. I did see a canvas "nursery organizer" which is like a hanging shoe bag but with wider pockets at Babies R Us. I was thinking about that because itÂs soft and would hold a few books and maybe even a water bottle. I might have to do some surgery on it though to make it more horizontally-oriented than vertically.
    ...See More

2 br w/garage or 3 br no garage?

Q

Comments (24)
    Thanks everyone, you've given me a lot to think about. Now I'm leaning back towards the 2 br w/garage. The 2 br w/garages in this area seem to be in better areas. I am also looking at duplexes which seem to be over my price range, but the benefit of no assessments really pays off. The assessments around here go from anywhere from $150-300. I was also considering dividing a master bedroom like some of you have suggested..there are some websites which sell room dividers so that could be an option.
    ...See More

Mirrors over bedside tables?

Q

Comments (122)
    Nice! Wow, you work fast! When you said crystal that's not what I thought you meant, it looks great. Also, just a thought but you know what might be able to give the table a more cohesive look is to find a pretty round place mat to set under the items. I do it all the time and it really helps give it a more finished look (to my eye) anyways. You could go with a beaded one, woven, sparkly or plain, any kind would work. Bed bath and beyond - just plain in different colors, ivory or plum would be pretty Found these on Macy's site, comes in several colors And Pier 1 had some glittery ones I've used a woven one here
    ...See More

Window treatments and bedside table lamps for guest room?

Q

Comments (10)
    I'd hang that art some inches above the headboard. It does not looked centered in the photo, but that could just be the angle. (Just noticed this is supposed to be a temporary location before you truly hang it!) Bedside tables should be high enough guests can keep stuff on there, for easy reach during the night. I'd say higher than those, or at least more forward-reaching. Also, lights they can reach from their beds so they can read. I also like outlets in the area so if I am reading a Kindle, say, I can just reach down and re-charge. Without getting up. If the bedding is white, I would not want white curtains. I doubt a hospital feel is what you are after. With gray walls and white fabrics, that's the feel this will have.
    ...See More
  • palimpsest
    11 years ago

I would keep looking because neither option seems to fit your criteria except for width.

• pps7
    11 years ago

The only ones that I like are the first pair and I would never pay that much for them. I love your inspiration photos!

Good luck! There are alot of these types of accent tables around, it just takes a little patience and alot of searching. I got a pair of these mahogany tables with marble tops for $100/pair:

This is an old sewing table. I don't think it's solid wood but it was $30. I ended up painting it and using it as a nightstand.

I have a soft spot for these victorian tables:

Just to give you a few ideas.

This post was edited by pps7 on Fri, Jan 18, 13 at 16:07

• funkyart
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the input.. a few responses/expanded info:

1. Cindyloo, yes-- I will absolutely use a headboard of some sort. I do want a actual bed but I'd settle for headboard only if I found the right one-- but given my budget and the room limitations, I am ok starting out with nothing (or with tiles or pictures as a visual headboard). I have seen a number of beautiful pencil poster beds-- which I love but I don't think they'll work well in my small room (with low ceilings). I also like the RH quatrefoil iron bed mentioned above. It fits perfectly under the windows and I can get a used one at a very good price-- but the foot end is so high that I fear it will cut the room.

Table height is key-- my bed is 30" on just the frame. The sheraton tables are 31" and the other tables are 27". I prefer the height at 30/31" but will be flexible for the right look.

2. Pal - the sheraton tables are more than the right width, I wasn't being fair if I gave you the impression that width was the only think I liked about them. I love the wood grain, like that they are leggy but still have storage, and that they are a good balance of handsome and feminine--not too much in either direction. Still.. I'd like to spend less. Yes, I'd also like something with a little more character but it seems that is much harder to find in the 15-20" range.

3. pps - I really like your side tables and I have seen some like that-- but there's no storage and that is pretty key. I need at least one drawer-- preferably more.

I am going to pass on the mismatched tables, hold on the sheraton tables and keep looking.

• cindyloo123
    11 years ago

If you think you would be willing to try tables that are lower than your bed, I would suggest you simulate something and see how it works for you. You wouldn't think it's a big deal, but it can be.

LOL, your inspiration pics show one table too high and one too low. I live in MD and sewing cabinets here are plentiful. They are probably just the right dimensions for you. It would be very easy to modify one to include drawers. Tt would also be easy to put a basket on the floor to hold the cpap. Unfortunately no table is going to look nice with one of those darned machines sitting on it!

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

I don't think that is a bad price at all for the Sheraton tables, considering you could spend that at Ikea or Crate and Barrel.

You could get a thinner boxspring if you needed to adjust the height to make a pair of tables you like work.

With a CPAC and such things, this is a situation where the old-fashioned bedside table that is a drawer over an enclosed box of an open shelf underneath would be a good option.

• Fun2BHere
    11 years ago

I struggled to have room on my bedside table for all that I wanted to keep there. I finally installed swing arm lights on the wall in place of the table lamps and that has helped to free up a large amount of space. Would you have the vertical space to add wall-mounted lamps at the right height considering your window?

• Vertise
    11 years ago

Maybe it's just a bad photo or reflections, but the finish on the top those two tables doesn't look so good. I would only pay that much for them if I loved them and they were just what I wanted.

• User
    11 years ago

I like all the tables but I think the first ones look like they'd be a better match in you room. Your first inspiration photo is one I've had saved for some time now. I love it!

I also wondered about the finish with the first ones. If they're banged up, I'd offer less or keep looking.

I'm excited to see your room fall together!

• funkyart
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Pal, exactly! I don't think they are overpriced and I do't begrudge the price he's asking-- I was just hoping to find a bargain on CL or ebay. I have seen many cheaper--but the quality and look reflect the prices.

Fun2Behere - I am considering swing arm lights too but since there's no overhead light (as of now), and not many surfaces, I am planning on bedside lamps to start.

Snookums, I am pretty sure you are seeing reflections. I've added a better photo of the top

Shee, I love it too but I'll never have that look in my 60's ranch. It was one of the tradeoffs I made when deciding to make this move. I am hoping I can borrow a bit from each of the inspirations to achieve a good look. I am optimistic :)

I'll be honest.. I was looking for this group to say "oh hey, go get those sheraton tables!" I've been looking at them for weeks.. though I was hoping to spend 1/2 as much I just havent seen anything that stands up to them. They fill up every inch of the wall space though-- and may require me to rotate the bed to the long wall.

The CPAP presents an interesting challenge. If anything has me still looking, it's that. It feels silly to have such nice tables and then plop a machine on them. I guess I have to accept that it as what it is.

• jterrilynn
    11 years ago

Really love the Sheraton side tables! And, love your inspiration pictures. I hope you keep posting because I will in the near future have a home with a small master (most likely).

• chibimimi
    11 years ago

Oh hey, go get those Sheraton tables!

They are lovely and will be so beautiful in your room.

However, whatever you end up with, be careful with that CPAP. My husband's has hazed the finish on his nightstand. Granted, he is not the most careful person in the world, and may have splashed a bit on water around, but the hazing looks to me as if it was caused by vapors from the machine. Use a decorative tray or something under yours to protect the finish of whatever you decide on.

During the day, perhaps you can tuck the machine into a decorative basket under the table.

But really, oh hey, go get those Sheraton tables!

• funkyart
    Original Author
    11 years ago

haha Chibi! Thanks, I needed that!

You've given me something to think about-- I hadn't thought about the vapor and hazing from the cpap. I've never had a problem with it on my table but it doesn't have a "fine" finish. hmmm.

I am not really the type to put stuff away during the day and bring them out at night-- more so, HE isn't lol. I am ok with that. I don't want him to be any more self conscious about it. It is what it is and I need to work around it.

Now to decide if I'll get the tables.

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

Oh, hey, go get etcetera.

You want them, so there you go!

A pair of good quality wall lamps will free up the surface.

A pair of nice square baskets or tole-painted bins under each table could hold magazines and books and other things that you accumulate.

Instead of a headboard, if you can spare 9 or 10 inches into the room, I'd suggest a bookcase that is as wide as, and several feet higher than, your mattress. Fill the shelves immediately above the mattress with attractive sturdy storage boxes, and set three European square pillows against them. Then the topmost enclosed shelf can hold your equipment.

If you paint the whole thing to match your trim, and then paint the interiors of the shelves a deep shadowy gray, the thing will seem less massive, and stuff in the shelves will be less visible. You can also stash an extension cord at the back if you need power.

And the top of the bookcase will anchor a group of prints or a mirror or whatever you want to hang on the wall above the bed.

• maddielee
    11 years ago

I think $ 550.00 is too much to pay for the first pair of tables...

I am attaching a current craiglist ad from my area. Even these are priced a little high at $ 150.00/pair. Definitely not the same, but would give you the same look.

ML

Here is a link that might be useful: Mahogany night stands

• jterrilynn
    11 years ago

I would just make sure I had a bed frame high enough to use the under bed area as storage. You can buy bins and drawers on wheels. If you are limited on space that under bed area holds a lot of stuff out of site.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Here are some from our local list. Am I remembering right that you are in the Phila. suburbs? If so, glad to call on these for you and/or pick them up, so you can come get them whenever.

Here is a link that might be useful: DC craigslist $50 tables

• funkyart
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have three bedrooms-- one of which will be a dressing room. I am not terribly concerned about storage in general-- just bedside storage. You know, all those little things you want nearby but not necessarily out on display.

Bronwynsmom, thanks for the suggestion. There's not much space between the mattress and the bottom of the window so there's limited space for bookshelves-- but more so, I wouldn't feel comfortable storing equipment or books over a bed. I do intend to add a headboard and possibly a complete bed when I find one that will work with the window and fits my "look". My iron bed will be going into the spare room where it doesnt need to go under a window.

Maddielee, thanks for the link. I'd be ok going with something not quite as nice if there was something available in my consignment shops, CL or ebay. The second set of tables we.re the best I could do for the height range I need. Of course, that can change in a day-- and I continue to scour all the venues.

Sewing tables are readily available here in Central PA (in fact, there's one in the basement) but all but one I've seen are much too wide and they don't provide bedside storage.

I am heading out later to do another round of the consignment stores. Thank you for the suggestions!

• funkyart
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Cyn-- those could definitely work for me if they are high enough! I am further west than Phila suburbs and regularly check the Baltimore CL (I am literally right up I83). I sent a note requesting the dimensions.

You are such a sweetheart for offering to pick them up! A truly awesome GWer! I don't mind the drive-- but thank you so much for offering!

• funkyart
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I was going to send you an email, Cyn, but it's not listed on your profile. I had a huge laugh when I heard back from the CL lister.. she didnt know the dimensions but she wrote, "here is what I can guesstimate ;) I am 5'6 and the tables just hit my bum height. One length of the table top goes from my middle finger to elbow, the other side is slightly shorter. There is some damage to one of the tables. They would need to be fixed up a lil if you care about a perfect finish."

I won't be purchasing the tables but I did appreciate the laugh! Hope you do too!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Too funny. I should have my email linked and will check it now to fix it if it isn't linked anymore!

Thanks for sharing the response. It is my laugh for the day! :)

• Vertise
    11 years ago

I've been wondering about people who don't post dimensions or include upside down photographs that don't really look like the item any way but don't seem to notice. This one takes the cake! Looks like you are too much trouble for $50, funkyart, lol.

I think I waste far more time and money with online shopping than plodding the streets. I'm going back to Kevin's route for a while to see how it goes. Wow he managed to find it all and quickly.

• funkyart
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Snookums, yeah, I've done both-- pounding the street and internet with no luck. However, I am not in the city either.

I am not even seeing lower end nightstands that meet my basic criteria for much under $550.. let alone anything that comes close to the look I want. Those saying these are overpriced, where would you look?

I did find a pair of hickory chair end tables for $299 but they are wayyyy too low.

Also ran the bookshelf headboard by the bf-- thinking maybe I was being too critical but he nixed the idea too. It's just not the look we are going for.

I will keep looking.. but I still keep coming back to the sheraton tables.

• yayagal
    11 years ago

I love the Sheraton tables and I'd offer him a firm $350.00, he'll rebut with $400.00 and you can take them or leave them.

• lynndale
    11 years ago

I also have a man who uses a CPAP..I got nightstands with doors and shelves inside..it had a pre drilled hole in the back for electrical things that he pulled he hose through..works perfectly to hide the CPAP.

• funkyart
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lynndale, thanks for sharing your idea! I was wondering about the possibility of doing that. I hadn't brought it up yet because he's very self-conscious about the machine-- he needs it and it makes a huge difference in his sleep-- but still he's funny about it. Also, he's more about function than look.. so I didnt want to bring him into my search! ;)

I have been keeping an eye out for something more like a cabinet but I haven't yet found an antique or nice wood piece with doors that fits the space. I have seen plenty that I could paint (like the nightstands in the original post) but that isnt the look I was going for. I guess I need to decide what is most important to me.. maintaining the look.. or hiding the machine.

• funkyart
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The shop isnt going to discount the price-- he said they're already listed at wholesale price. I don't doubt him-- I found the same tables, same maker at an ebay store for more than twice the price. Substantially more than twice the price.

I am keeping these as an option and keep an eye out for another week or so.

• Vertise
    11 years ago

Noticed these small tables in a recent thread link and thought of your bedroom thread. Thought I would pass it along in case. It looks like she did a really good job on them.

(Each table is 22" wide, 26" deep, 22" tall)

$175/pr.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bedside tables

• funkyart
    Original Author
    11 years ago

They are great, Snookums, and just the kind of interesting pieces my small room needs-- love the color and the style. Unfortunately they are way too short for my bed (30" high on just a metal frame). I think that's my challenge.. I want something with some style but they must be high and narrow.

I am touched-- how sweet of you to remember my thread and come back to share the link! Thank you so much!