SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rlawrence118

New and Layout Advice (Pic included)

Regina Savage
13 years ago

Greetings all - I've been mostly lurking but have finally sketched out a kitchen design to throw out to the collective wisdom of this group. Some background: ~100yr old graceful colonial in a historic district that we adore but the kitchen is a disaster. Some of the finishes are very nice (granite counters) but the layout is terribly unworkable and there's minimal storage space. Right now it's just me, DH and the 4 dogs but rugrats are expected so we'd like to plan for a couple of smaller humans in the mix as well.

Some items to note:

-we're flooring up a steep set of stairs in the mudroom that go down to the basement and creating a pantry (40" x 76"). We can't do a direct door into this pantry from the kitchen because of a chimney down to the boiler but it's only a few steps into the mudroom so I'm satisfied

-we thought about getting more room for the kitchen by taking out the servants stairs but it's expensive, the only first floor bathroom is under those stairs and you don't really gain much space so the floor print is pretty much set

-we would like an island for working space and to sit at for casual meals

-my software skills are terrible so everything may not be accurately drawn but I tried to note key clearances. It's definitely tight from the island on the east side to the door but the idea is to seat 3 on the south side (60") and maybe a 4th overflow seat on the east side of the island. Wondering if it's worth it or if we should just put some storage shelves for cookbooks, etc on the east side instead. Also, we've got a 12" overhang for seating - is that enough? The other cabinet is for pots and pans - suggestions or if I should do drawers or doors here? Any other thoughts on where I should be thinking bottom drawers instead of doors?

-appliances are still under discussion but am currently thinking:

---Wolf 48" range with 6 burners and the grill but still need to select a hood (but this design has venting out an exterior wall - yeah!)

---counter-depth fridge (leaning towards SZ but love the lighting in the Miele)

---Miele dishwasher

---microwave drawer

---2 refrigerator drawers in the island

---Sink will probably be one big deep vessel but i couldn't find that pic in the software

The south wall is going to be cabinets that look like a furniture piece. Thinking other uppers in the NE corner, NW corner and along West wall.

Any and all suggestions are welcome - thank you!

Comments (16)