SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jyl_gw

Advice - Would You Be Upset If . . . [Not Cooking Question]

John Liu
13 years ago

I am extremely sorry to ask a question that is not directly cooking related. I know, I should ask this in ''Conversations'' but I need advice in the next 24 hours, and there is not all that much traffic there. I promise I won't break forum rules again.

So - I'm putting together a photo book for my wife's birthday. It will be photos from our time together, chronologically.

And I'm stuck on the last picture.

My favorite picture of her is from about 20 years ago, it is a rather fine shot if I do say so myself.

However, I am wondering if she will be upset if I end the book with that favorite picture of the young her, rather than the current her. Will I be saying that she's no longer as beautiful as she was, or some other inadvertent message?

I don't have a recent shot of her that is anywhere near as good. Mostly because I haven't been that into photography and, frankly, 99.9% of the photos in the last 10 years are of the kids, not of she or me. Which is something I realize I have to change, but right now I'm working w/ the photo library I have.

What do you think? Since most (not all, I know) of you are women (or doing a very good job pretending) I think I might get a better answer here than from asking my drinking and sports car buddies.

I need to finish setting up this book tomorrow night to get it ordered in time, so I am hoping for advice soon. Thank you. Again, I am sorry to post off-topic.

Comments (36)

• steelmagnolia
    13 years ago

If someone cared enough to compile a photo album of our lives together over a span of 20 years, I simply can't imagine being offended.

However, since you're worried... Will there be any text in addition to the photographs? Perhaps at the bottom of the final page you could write something like, "When this picture was taken, I thought I'd never see anyone lovelier. The years have proven me wrong. You're more beautiful today than ever."

Of course, if you use my words and don't mean them, Johnliu, a pox upon you! :)

sm

• John Liu
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow. That was good! Can you write all the captions for me?

Another option I just thought of was to order the book with several blank pages at the end, where I can explain we'll mount prints of the beautiful B&W shots that I will take of her.

• Related Discussions

Would you be upset?

Q

Comments (12)
    Scotty1, There isn't enough information to answer your question. My first reaction is say that masturbation is natural and normal and that even people with great sex lives masturbate. But your last sentence "I don't want to go into details, but I might be in trouble." makes me think there is a whole lot more to this. I could start jumping to conclusions and try to address each assumption, but that's a waste of time. How about I just say that usually you shouldn't be upset, but sometimes the circumstances are such a big deal that you need to deal with them right away. I think you need to have a talk with your husband. Denise
    ...See More

Okay, all you cooks. I need some advice.

Q

Comments (3)
    I've never made any of those things, but I can tell you that on their own, broccoli, rice, and corn can be frozen. But if the final dish includes a creamy sauce, I wouldn't freeze it, assuming you'd be microwaving it to heat it up. Most cream sauces will separate when heated quickly, leaving you with an oily sauce. I suppose it would be ok if you heated it slowly, in a low oven.
    ...See More

Bar seating - would you rather face the cook or overlook fam room

Q

Comments (5)
    I don't think anyone's asked you the key question - do YOU want to be faced?? There are cooks who prefer to be in their own space while they cook, while others want to be part of the crowd. I personally would prefer to have the stools facing the cook, but then I'm not you! Eliz
    ...See More

How upset would you be?

Q

Comments (67)
    Amy, I am so glad to hear that you are changing out to have doors put on drawers. That sounds so weird right? It was an honest mistake that you were not given a more clear explanation. Maybe this was the first time your cabinet maker used this company? Anyways, I think it was very nice of you to cover the cost of your cabinet makers' error. Forget about it and enjoy your kitchen. It will be beautiful! Ann, from what I understand, the top skinnier drawers will still remain with the skinnier top and bottom rails as shown. Only the larger drawers are being changed out to be equal size rails and styles. I don't think cup pulls would work well on those top drawers as shown either. If OP wanted cup pullls, the top drawer being slab front would be best, but I never heard her mention wanting them or worried about future owners. I have also noticed that people with wider shaker rails who do a bar pull will place it on the top rail that sticks out more verses the middle section. I chose Amerock revitalize pulls because the projection is nice and high and I wanted it in the middle. I have plenty space on my 5 piece top drawer as shown in the photo I posted above of my drawers.
    ...See More
  • dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    13 years ago

I agree with sm.

Don't under estimate your wife's capacity to appreciate your loving motives.

Now back on topic:
    What are you planning to cook for her for her birthday? :-)

dcarch

• nancylouise5me
    13 years ago

I know I would appreciate your efforts just as what it is meant to be...a book of love. I'm sure your wife will also. So if you want to put a great looking picture of your wife as the last photo and then have blanks for future pics that would be fine. I think she will look at the book you made and just smile and be happy that you were so thoughtful. NancyLouise

• wizardnm
    13 years ago

Since you asked......

I think you need to end the book with a current photo. Why risk making her feel bad about how she looks today? None of us look as good as we did 20 years ago.

• shaun
    13 years ago

Very nice idea. I'd be so touched if my husband did that.

I wouldnt mind the old picture at the end if you wrote something like what steelmagnolia said; that was Good!

• User
    13 years ago

I like SM's idea too but I also think it would be wonderful to leave blank pages so you can add to the book each year.

What a sweet thing for you to do......she'll love it

• mustangs81
    13 years ago

You've got to be kidding me!! Your project and your question says volumes about you; I would say you are good to go with whatever you do.

Of course, this is coming from a wife who received a birthday card that said "happy birthday grandma" (he grabbed and paid without reading it); I was 23 at the time. Good thing my expectations in the "oh how thoughtful" department are very low as things haven't improved.

• shaun
    13 years ago

Cathy! hahahaha!!! At least it was in English, huh?

• annie1992
    13 years ago

Hey, Cathy, I once got a Happy Birthday from both of us" from my ex, because he never got past "happy Birthday".

I agree with Nancy, though, if it's chronological, I think you need a current picture at the end, and then some blank pages. No one looks like they did 20 years ago and it would be to me kind of like saying I'd never look that good again...

Annie

• sheesh
    13 years ago

It's your favorite picture of her, and probably hers, too. It's not saying she doesn't look good now, it's saying this is you, in my heart, forever and ever.

• Rusty
    13 years ago

What steelmagnolia said.

What dcarch said.

And what sherrmann said.

Blank pages at the end is a good idea, but not necessary at all.

That's just my humble opinion.

Rusty

• centralcacyclist
    13 years ago

It sounds like a special and thoughtful gift. Since you have a great relationship worrying about inadvertent messages should be a non-issue. Go with your first impulse and make a date for a portrait session.

My ex bought a blank card and wrote his own message to go with the 9mm handgun he wanted but gave to me as a birthday gift.

• triciae
    13 years ago

My DH bought me a USED valentine's day card! Yep, it was an old Victorian card that he liked so he just scratched off the 100 year old writing & wrote his note below. (sigh).

I have a feeling this could end up becoming your wife's most treasured gift from you...it would be if I received something similar. Many (most) women are sentimental. Don't worry about the pix. The blanks are a good idea, IMO, 'cause they also say that you want her around as part of your life going forward.

barnmom, a hand gun?! Yikes!

/tricia

• jojoco
    13 years ago

Can you snap a few shots today? It only takes a moment to upload. I am guessing you are doing one of the shutterfly type books. Your gift is a lovely one, but I agree, end with a current one. If it is one of the shutterfly type books, leaving extra blank pages won't entirely work because they will look so different. It is possible to save the project and add to it later.
    Hope your wife has a wonderful birthday.

• Bizzo
    13 years ago

What the rusty one said!

I'd love it :-)

• cseim
    13 years ago

Don't change a thing John! I think you're putting far too much importance on the last page. She'll probably take one look at the cover and nearly burst into tears, then rush off to tell all of her friends what a thoughtful thing you did for her. It really is the thought that counts, and she's going to love it!

Chrissy

• mudlady_gw
    13 years ago

I would end the book with a blank page that will hold a new picture of both of you. Take her out to lunch or dinner and then visit a good photographer for a current shot of you together. You could even make it a tradition to be photographed together every year and add a new picture every year at her birthday.

• dgkritch
    13 years ago

I think you're OK either way. SM nailed it. A sweet & sentimental quote covers it.
    I would be honored and touched to receive a gift like that.

And all you people who got inappropriate cards.......quit yer complainin'.......at least you GOT one! (GRIN).
    I usually don't. Lucky to get a "Happy Birthday" wish.
    We sort of have an agreement that every day is special, not just a birthday, anniversary or holiday. We just don't "do" those! But I'd be fine with a 9mm IF it was something I wanted, not something he thought I should have.
    I'm pretty practical!

Sorry, didn't mean to steal your thread johnliu!

Deanna

• centralcacyclist
    13 years ago

"I'd be fine with a 9mm IF it was something I wanted, not something he thought I should have.
    I'm pretty practical!"

It was something HE wanted. I am also practical though. I'm not sure how a handgun fits into the "practical" category unless one is a police officer or armored car driver. I am neither! Grins.

John: I think it is a beautiful gift. I'm a wee bit "jeals" as my kid would say!

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    13 years ago

John,

She will never be upset with you no matter what.

A husband who enjoys cooking?

dcarch :-)

• BeverlyAL
    13 years ago

John, what a beautiful person you are to put this together for her. I hope she knows how lucky she is.

I would definitely use a recent picture or else go to the photographer and have one made. Then, like the others have said, it would be nice to leave some blank pages for the future.

Good luck, I hope the rest of it goes well for you.

Beverly

• User
    13 years ago

John please promise to come back and tell us what you decided to do and how much she loved it.

...and as far the forum rules, we're pretty darn easy going around here and this thread has made me smile. No apology required.

• John Liu
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone!

You've all been too kind to point out that I'm in this pickle because I haven't taken enough real pictures of her in recent years.

Lots of digital snapshots, sure, but not real pictures, shot with real feeling on real film and printed on real paper by my own hands.

I shot the kids, friends, still lifes, landscapes, abstracts. But I had already the shot of her that captured her spirit, that entranced me whenever I saw it, that I could be buried with, that I thought I'd never need another.

And that is the real moral of this story. Never stop taking pictures of the people you love, because you never have enough.

• caminnc
    13 years ago

What a sweet wonderful husband you are. I would leave some pages at the end of your book. Maybe next year you can have a professional do an oil painting of your wife using that picture you love so much. Happy dancing!

• spacific
    13 years ago

My DS made me a book for Mother's Day. It had so many wonderful shots of our son, me, DS. I never noticed what he ended or started with. I was just overwhelmed and look at it often. Great job, John!

• Teresa_MN
    13 years ago

John - I think you should leave the photo in and add the caption steelmagnolia provided.

I think your wife will burst into tears when she sees the pic and reads the caption!

Teresa

• ritaotay
    13 years ago

" shot of her that captured her spirit, that entranced me whenever I saw it, that I could be buried with "

That says it all!

Put that pic on the cover!!!

Or on the last page with that quote.

Rita

• dedtired
    13 years ago

Use the picture you love at the end and then leave blank pages to represent your future together.

Wow are you a good guy! Your gift is so loving. Sigh.

My ex's worst gift for me was a bottle of Tigress perfume (toilet water -- not real perfume). He obviously had grabbed it from a drugstore shelf on his way home (late) on the night of my birthday. It smelled like tiger pee.

• lowspark
    13 years ago

I'm not surprised to see varying opinions. In fact, you really know your wife best and would know if it would bother her seeing that as the last picture or not. IMO, the very fact that you are asking here makes me think that there's at least an inkling of a chance she might not like it. And even if 100% of us say do it, if she doesn't like it, our opinions won't matter.

For me, I'd rather see that picture in the middle, where it belongs chronologically. And on THAT page you could put a caption about it being your favorite picture of her and the reasons. And if you don't have a great picture of her today, I don't see why you couldn't leave the last page blank with a caption that says, "the best is yet to come" or some such, and then explain that you want to do a great photograph of her as she is today and put that in the book to complete it.

• sheshebop
    13 years ago

I like lowsparks idea. However, it sounds like you hve everything already put together except for the last page. In that case, put the picture you love in and go with the blank pages and a note that says something like "the best is yet to come." Great idea May. Then insist you take a picture of her that very day and put it in so she knows you mean business.

• John Liu
    Original Author
    13 years ago

chase: ''tell us what you decided to do and how much she loved it''

I finished laying out the photobook last night.

It starts with my favorite picture on the cover. Then there are paired pictures of she and me, placed side-by-side, as if I were looking at her. These sets of paired pictures are arranged chronologically, at several-year intervals. They show how, as I grew older, each time I looked, I saw an ever more beautiful woman beside me. Between those paired pictures are images of her, which represent the major events in our lives - we met, courted, married, had a daughter, traveled around the world, had a son, and raised (are raising) a family.

''Through my eyes'' is the recurring theme in the book. What I saw the first time I looked at her, and each time after that, as we traveled through life together. The the most recent pair of pictures are recent. Then my favorite picture re-appears as the beginning of a section of ''portraits'' , with several blank pages and a vow to never stop photographing her. It works because that image is genuinely a portrait, while the others have more of a ''candids'' character.

I had expected that composing the text would be difficult, but after a week contemplating 20 years of images, by late last night the words were already there. I had some great music on last night - ''Loverman'' by Charlie Parker, ''Gravity'' by John Mayer - which helped. The gift of all of your thoughts, and those of my friends on the KF, also helped. So much, and much more than you can imagine.

This photobook will probably be one of the best gifts I've ever made. I believe she will like it very much. But if I'm sleeping on the couch in a few weeks from now, I'll certainly let you know that too.

I've taken up a lot of your time on a non-cooking topic, but it was for a good reason. As Becker and Fagen sang, ''I cried when I wrote this song. Sue me if I play too long.'' (Steely Dan, Aja, ''Deacon Blues''.)

• bettyd_z7_va
    13 years ago

You MUST come back and give us her reaction.

You are such a kind and thoughtful husband.

This reminds me of the first Christmas after my Daddy died. He died that August.

That Christmas morning I opened a box that had a framed 8x10 of me and my Daddy that DH had searched high and low to find and have blown up. The only picture of just the 2 of us that exists.

I burst into tears. It was the most touching thing anyone had ever done for me.

Being the Baby and "Daddy's Girl", DH knew what this would mean to me.

And you have the same loving heart that my DH has.

Your wife is Blessed indeed!

Betty

• User
    13 years ago

John, you have brought tears to my eyes. What wonderful, loving sentiments. SWMBO is a very, very lucky lady.

PS: Do you realize how much poop the husbands of this forum are in now!

• lascatx
    13 years ago

I just saw this but would have said either end it with your favorite or put that one at the beginning. I really like that you started with it. I think it's a wonderful idea and gift. I hope all of her birthday is that nice.

• pink_warm_mama_1
    13 years ago

How about.........So far - so wonderful.