SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
happymomof2kids

Test of Laundry Detergents on Aluminum

happymomof2kids
15 years ago

In another thread I posted I was doing a test of laundry detergent and its effects on aluminum. The reason for this is to see how corrosive the detergents really are and how much wear and tear they would have on a washer with aluminum parts. I got the idea to test from this video link below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwpKP_9_fAA

Now factor in that the drum is stainless steel and the spider assembly is aluminum. However, I had found this article on the sealing of the two metals when they are used together.

http://www.iula.org/sealing-stainless-steel-1332/

One would assume that manufacturers of our washers are applying this technique. It got me wondering. If we are to assume the manufacturers are using sealing techniques, then what is breaking down that seal? And I remember the gentleman saying, "This is where detergent builds up." Could it be the detergent?

Now I had no way to test the sealing, but I could test the aluminum itself. As the stainless steel in the video had not corroded but the aluminum had.

My test was as follows.

I took an old aluminum cake pan to apply my test swatches or drops, if you will, of detergent on. I used an old one for two reasons. One, there was no way I was going to potentially ruin a brand new pan. Second, I wanted something that was already a little worn and pitted to simulate a used aluminum part. Now I understand the two aluminums may be different in various ways regarding porousness and any other additives, but felt they were close enough to get at least a base result.

I scrubbed the bottom of my pan very well to make sure there was no residue of any kind on it to alter my results. I then put small amounts of various detergents on the pan and waited for them to dry. I only tested HE and HE compatible detergents as that is the type of machine I have and didn't have any regular detergent here. Also, I do have hard water, which I have heard is hard on any mchine parts let alone aluminum, so factor that in too. The results are as follows.

All Fresh Rain 3x liquid HE- No Change

All Free&Clear 3x liquid HE- No Change

Mela Power 6x HE liquid- No Change

Mela Power 6x scent free liquid HE- No Change

Cheer 2x liquid HE- No Change

Tide 2x liquid HE- No Change

Charlie's Soap powder Concentrated Paste- Discoloration/mild

pitting

Charlie's Soap powder Diluted- No Change

Sears Ultra W/ Oxi Powder HE concentrated paste- Dicoloration/mild pitting

Sears Ultra W/ Oxi Powder HE Diluted- No Change

Tide Powder HE Concentrated paste- Discoloration/mild Pitting

Tide Powder HE Diluted- No Change

Planet liquid HE- No Change

7th Generation liquid Free and Clear HE- Discoloration

7th Generation liquid White Flower & Berg. GE- Discoloration

Arm and Hammer liquid HE- Discoloration/ mild pitting within 30 minutes(this one was by far the most corrosive one I tested in the liquid. In fact, I was so surprised by the results of this one that it was the only liquid I tested in a diluted form.)

Arm and Hammer Liquid HE Diluted- No Change

Purex liquid HE- No Change

My results show, that although liquids are safer on aluminum, powders can still be used provided that too much is not used, they are diluted enough, and residue is not left to sit on aluminum.

On another note regarding detergents, liquids have their drawbacks too. I have to agree with the crowd who feels that they are more apt to cause mold and mildew.

End result is too much of any detergent can be the kiss of death for your washer one way or another. Lack of regular maintence on any washer does not help either.

I found this link for a tech who says no one should use more than a tablespoon of any detergent for a regular load of laundry. I do not endorse his product. Nor have I ever used it, but the video kinda supports my test results that we, as users, are usually more to blame than the machine or detergent manufacturers for washer problems. Although manufactures do contribute to the problem by not being more thorough in their research and more forth coming with information that would be of better use to us. I did follow the tech in the videos rec for using no more than a tablespoon of the 2x liquid and regular powder and my clothes have come out very clean. Here is the video link below...

http://www.truveo.com/Fighting-The-Smelly-FrontLoad-Washer-Funk/id/2362096414

I hope this little test helps all of you in some way or another. In any event, it was definitely fun for me to do.

Happy Holidays! :D

Comments (6)