SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
woodswell

Help on edge lighting art glass piece

woodswell
17 years ago

We've got a 40x40" piece of sandblasted glass that is an beautiful art piece. For the last 25 years, it's been mounted in a wooden frame attached to a shelving unit and only lit from the front.

But the artist recommends edge lighting the piece for the best effect. Problem is, he's moved on to other styles/types of art and has not installed anything like this for nearly 20 years. He used to use flourescent fixtures along the edges with channels to restrict the light to the edge of the glass.

I spoke to him last week and he suggests with new technology that edge light fiber optic cables might be better - the type of edge light fiber optics used on swimming pools. I like this idea since I am hoping to use this piece as a fixed window on the exterior wall of a new house - with regular glass on front and back to protect the art piece. If we used flourescents the window structure would be large and we'd have to allow access to change light bulbs.

With fiber optic, the fixture with the bulb can be located away from actual window. I've spoken to a stained glass person who has also done mounting of sandblasted glass art works but he's never used the edge lit fiber optics.

I'd like to have the light along the top edge and probably both sides, but not necessarily the bottom edge. The artist recommends 1 watt of lighting for every inch of glass - so 40 watts per side. But I am not clear what that would translate to for various types of lighting.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how this would actually work - maybe a diagram of how to mount things? Suggestions for sources of the fiber optic items needed would be nice.

We're finalizing the house design and I need to get this nailed down so we can know the size of the rough opening for the window and what wiring, etc. will be needed.

Thanks!

Anne

Comments (6)