SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
formerlymotherof3sons

Kitchen Layout - Need GW Feedback

motherof3sons
12 years ago

Hello Kitchen fans,

Let me begin by saying (writing) that any help will be greatly appreciated. We are building a home and I have confidence in every room except the kitchen. The kitchen designer and I have been back and forth for months and I just do not "feel" the kitchen. It may be that I am too close (aka tired) and am unable to say "Yes! This is my kitchen."

Some history about "us". DH and I are empty nesters. Our family is large and the kids come home at least once a month with the little ones. Our sons and their wives enjoy cooking. Our hope is the kitchen will be a family affair. As far as DH and I, we both love to cook and enjoy working in the kitchen together. Weekday evening meals are simple as we both are in the workforce. Weekends are our "fun" time to experiment with new recipes or my marathon baking sessions. DH is the meat and veggie chef, while I am the baker - breads, pastries, sweets, etc.

The kitchen is U-shaped with a 74x54 island. The work aisles are 43" all the way around. Wall 1 is the cooking center, Wall 2 cleanup and Wall 3 baking.

Please forgive the pictures that do not show all the doors.

The kitchen feels "cramped" on the cooking wall and moving around the corner to the sink area. Note that the cabinets on the left of the sink flow around the corner, whereas on the right they go into the wall. DH asked if I considered open shelving. This make me nervous! Love the look, but I don't know that I am that neat. I originally considered bringing the cabinets on the L and R far end of the sink wall to the countertop.

The cabinets are cherry base/wall and a warm green on the island with a walnut top. The upper doors are 42" shaker with a 6" trim board and large crown that go to the 9' ceiling.

Wall 1 - 36" built-in frig, 36" rangetop

{{!gwi}}

Wall - 2 Sink

{{!gwi}}

Wall - 3 Baking Center

{{!gwi}}

Comments (20)