SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jolly_lin

Need advice and feedback for new kitchen layout

jolly_lin
3 years ago

I have been on Houzz for a while but this is my first posting. I have been playing around with a couple of layout variations for my kitchen remodel and have a tough time deciding. I hope to get some perspectives for the helpful people of Houzz.

My kitchen is long and narrow, 9.5 ft x 19 ft. The current layout is a U with sink and dishwasher in the peninsula; cooktop at the end of the U; frig, oven, and pantry centered on the long leg of the U. There is just enough space on the west end for an eat-in nook. I'm the main cook in the family. In the current layout, I end up doing most of the cooking and prepping cramped in the corner between the sink and stove. This is not a kitchen for multiple cooks. I'm thinking of changing the peninsula to an island and move the sink to the perimeter. The island should give me more uninterrupted prep space and allow others to help me in the kitchen at the same time. It also seems to be a better flow.

One of my struggles is whether to keep a separate dining table or do seating at the island. We are a family of 4. This is our main eating and activity area. We have a separate dining room on the other side of the kitchen wall for entertaining. What I like about the current dining table is be able to have face to face conversations at daily family meals. What I don't like is it's a tight area and have difficulty to access cabinets and storage in that area of the kitchen. Island seating seems to be a more efficient use of space but sitting side by side is just not our style. I love to hear if there are any other ideas to better fit 4 ppl seating in the space.

Current kitchen

New Layout #1: separate dining table

New Layout #2: seating at the island

Comments (11)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH