SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
topiary693

Fisher Paykel IWL16 Washer Mold/Water Problem

topiary693
14 years ago

Hi All,

I was hoping for some advice from the Fisher-Paykel repair gods on this forum who have helped me in the past.

My Fisher-Paykel IWL16 washer is 3 years old. About 6 months ago it started to really smell so I disassembled it, cleaned out the mold by spraying down everything and scrubbing it with a sponge, and put it back together. I also started doing hot water loads weekly and have also tried to clean it out with dishwashing detergent and vinegar on the clean cycle.

Everything was fine for about a month but it started smelling again so I took it apart again and cleaned it out, and I have been doing this once a month. Recently, it started smelling about every 2 weeks so I'm now cleaning it out every other weekend and my wife thinks I'm crazy. Therefore I'm wondering if something else could be wrong?

My first theory is that the pump may be bad. I disassembled it from the washer and the propeller seems to be spinning fine, but there are always ~2 cups of standing water (it almost completely fills the indented part of the tub - I have pictures but am not sure how to post them) and the mold develops as a thin stinky film in that standing water all around the pump area and the bottom of the tub. Is this normal?

My second theory is that I need to use something more powerful to clean out the mold once and for all, but I'd rather not use tilex or its equivalent because the plastic tub will surely absorb that smell. What is the best thing to use to keep the mold under control?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much,

Topiary

Comments (2)