SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bigdoglover

6' recessed can lights where bulb is actually recessed

bigdoglover
15 years ago

We moved to TX from CA last year. We had our CA house for 12 years, it was new when we got it, and these were our first recessed can lights. They were great. 6" in dia, very simple, and the light was way up there in the "hole" so that all you basically got was a flood of light, no glare.

The brand new house in TX (and many others as far as I can see from exeprience) has recessed lights that are NOT. Also 6" diameter, the entire curvature of the bulb extends below the ceiling surface so you're actually looking at a light bulb.

Two electricians have brought over replacements that are a tiny bit better but you can still see the bulb a couple inches up in the hole. I phoned the electrician in CA who had added a couple of the can lights, and he was of no help, told me to go to Home Depot. I did, no success there.

Furthermore, the ones here have the problem us not being able to get the lightbulb out when it burns out... it breaks off at the stem. I'm guessing because heat is gettting trapped up there because teh bulb part is sticking out into the room. (Yes, we have tried smaller lights in there but they still aren't high enough into the can, and you can see up past them into the unfinished recesses of the can.

There is plenty of room up there for a tall can. Does anybody know the name of what I'm looking for so I can go buy some and have them installed? The lightbulb in our CA fixtures was just a standard large frosted incandescent flood light.

Thank you. We're in Dallas.

Comments (9)