SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
no_green_thumb

Need ideas for pathetic bathroom

no_green_thumb
16 years ago

On my list of many things to do is one of my upstairs bathrooms. Although the colors are not showing true, it is currently painted a burgundy. I want to work around the green tiles in the shower - at the time thought this was a good idea.

As the kids are all gone, my husband uses this bathroom. Not that he cares, but I would definitely like it not to have a feminine feel.

The room is about 5' wide (not including tub area) and about 10' long.

My thoughts:

1 - I want to work around the green tiles.

2 - Although the vanity is really dated, I am hoping to just replace the top.

3 - I don't want to take down the huge mirror, but will replace the light fixture.

4 - I will replace the floor.

So I am looking for ideas for

1 - Paint Color - I do not want dark, and am looking for something to better complement the wood.

2 - Something to do with the mirror - either framing it, hanging other mirrors over it, etc.

3 - Accessories - i.e., colors for towels

4 - Floor - I am thinking ceramic, thought of little hex tiles, but have read that larger tiles will make the room appear larger. I am also giving thought to laminite, vinyl, etc. I have not begun to look and know there are many options out there.

Following are some pictures. Some are really hard to get as the room is not very large. Thank you for looking - and I would appreciate any comments, advice, criticism, etc.

This is a view looking into the bathroom from the hallway.

The window does not necessarily need to be covered as it is the second floor and we overlook the woods. The tub is on the right and has glass doors on it.

These are a couple of views of the vanity - taken from the tub - the pipes show, but that is only when you are under the vanity - they do not show when you are looking at it normally.

This is a view of the tile - it is a green and doesn't show well on this pix - kind of a soft, blah green, not limey or minty.

Comments (20)

• patricianat
    16 years ago

I thought it was very pretty until you said it was burgundy and then I was like "uh, oh,not with that wood." I think the color showing would be a nice choice (some kind of burnt orange-brown) but you said you did not want dark. The green tiles would look nice with an orangish color. You could start with changing out that light fixture, painting the vanity a soft beige color, using baby turtle on the walls and framing the mirror yourself with either beveled glass or a real frame, even hanging frames above the mirror.

Oh and the biggest thing, take that furry thing off the toilet lid.

• mclarke
    16 years ago

With your wood, I'd suggest a deep sage-y green for the walls. This would also make your green tiles look green, which would be a good thing!

• Related Discussions

Update on Pathetic Bathroom

Q

Comments (17)
    Thanks to all for your kind comments. I just wish the paint color would show up better. I am really happy with the results. Pesky - that door is to the laundry chute which goes down to the first floor laundry. I thought of taking it out, but would have made a bigger mess trying to patch the hole. Aloha - I used a variety of input for the roman. There is a site - google Terrell - a lot of very useful info. Then I found some other sites online. There is a gal here, I think Jeannema --you can do a search as I still need to try to figure out this "link" thing ---- anyway, I took some things from each and then "engineered" what would work for me, i.e., Kelly didn't use dowel rods, I found I needed them. I found the fabric at JoAnn's, it is a Waverly. It really is not that hard, but it did take a lot of time. If you decide to do them and need any help, I would be glad to share what I have learned. Squirrel --- I don't know what is next. I am always thinking of somethine. It will soon be time to work outside. Do you remember photoshopping the front of my house last summer? I made many changes, but am still looking for the illusive deacon's bench and have not yet done the railing. I looked for railing but all I could find was vinyl. Ick. I am going to hop over to landscaping and see if anyone there knows anything else. I also want to have my back yard redone. There is an icky flagstone patio there that is not level. But it would be something I would have to have done. Far beyond my capabilities!!
    ...See More

Need decor ideas for this bathroom/changing room

Q

Comments (17)
    It’s a beautiful neutral color- this bathroom has no natural light due to lack of windows, however, the hallway to the bathroom does and I don’t see any changes- good luck with your project!
    ...See More

need some ideas (bathroom help)

Q

Comments (1)
    If painting them would not be possible then I suggest install wall panels over it.
    ...See More

Bathroom Transformation Ideas Needed

Q

Comments (1)
    lighten it up with an overall paint job. forget the wainscotting, the space is too small to make an impact. Wall sconces that shine up and down. Houzz has some beauties. since it is a basement, try a door that has frosted glass instead of panels it will FEEL lighter, but still private.
    ...See More
  • bellesouth
    16 years ago

I do so wish white walls would come back into fashion. I grew up in a house with tile about that color and the best wall color we ever had with it was a creamy ivory. It offset the drabness of the green. Your wood appears to me to have yellowish tones, so find a color with those tones in it. Your paint color will be the hardest decision. If you used creamy ivory walls, and leave the wood as is, then you could do a Guy bath with ivory and light tan/browns for towels and accessories.

Do you like to clean tile floors? LOL. No hex for me ever again! Laminate if you like it, but check with several people who've had it a number of years in a man's bath--for water issues.

I love BIG, beautiful ceramic/porcelain tiles! What color will work with the wood, green tile, and white bath fixtures? I hate to say it, because of the cleaning issue, but to lighten up that bath I'd consider something between ivory and the wood cabinetry. Maybe stone or stone-look ceramic/porcelain. Not too busy a pattern; the room's too small.

Keep it simple and clean. If you don't need curtains for privacy, why put them up? Put the money into fat, fluffy, spalike towels instead. Mostly I'd say, don't do too much to it: don't "decorate" it too much. Make every necessary component work well together and omit the fluff.

You have a nice bath to work with. Nothing wrong with it.

• bellesouth
    16 years ago

Here's something to look at.

Here is a link that might be useful: man's bath

• bellesouth
    16 years ago

another pic

Here is a link that might be useful: another clean one with wood in it

• bellesouth
    16 years ago

green tile, looks clearer than yours. Still. Alabaster onyx counter. Not bad. The cabinetry is darker than yours: walnut.

Here is a link that might be useful: green tile

• bellesouth
    16 years ago

sagey-green walls. Look at all the views

Here is a link that might be useful: green paint

• bellesouth
    16 years ago

Read over on the right for the paint color: Ben Moore's "Elephant Tusk"

Here is a link that might be useful: bath pic

• bellesouth
    16 years ago

where is a green with anything other than off white??

Here is a link that might be useful: a green of sorts

• bellesouth
    16 years ago

What I see on my screen is the green tiles I grew up with. Definitely not a sage green. I'm afraid if you go to sage, it'll look like you tried to match it and missed. Also, sage is grayed down--just the opposite of the livening up that bath could use. And, lacks the yellow tones of the wood.

Looking at what I see, I still like a warm yellowy ivory paint and towels. Add the warm, light honeyed-brown towels if you want a contrast against the walls.

Have fun!

Here is a link that might be useful: last one

• msrose
    16 years ago

I think you could find a really pretty green to match the tiles. You probably just need to get a bunch of samples and hold them up to the tile to see what looks best. BM Northamptom Putty is a pretty green. It may be a little darker than what you're wanting though. Have you thought about darkening the cabinets with some stain? I think that would give it a more updated look. I haven't tried it yet, but some of the people on here have used the gel stain because it doesn't require removing the current finish.
    Laurie

• dabunch
    16 years ago

A cool green/blue may work with the tile.
    Personally, I would like some burnt orange/rust on the walls.

Have you considered sponging/painting the counters to match three colors in the room? You could apply a couple of coats of clear high gloss over the painted counter & it would look beautiful.
    Another painting option is to give it a crackle effect. Paint it over BLACK & then high gloss, so it will look like leather. You could try it first before you start ripping them out.

• les917
    16 years ago

It is hard to know what to suggest, because on my monitor your walls look like they are a rusty red, not burgundy at all. So I can't be sure of what color the tiles are.

If they are a more khaki green (which is what they appear to be on my screen right now) I would think about a pretty chocolate color on the walls. Not too dark but also something warmer brown, not greyed down. Cream and darker green towels (a deeper shade of the tile).

If that doesn't float your boat, I would think about a warm cream color for the walls, and then navy as the accent color in the towels and accessories. Add a framed art piece over the toilet, perhaps a masculine-feeling landscape that picks up some of the green tones as well as blue, and perhaps mat it in navy.

I would change out the hardware to a brushed nickel. Change the light fixture to something more interesting (brushed nickel again). Lose all the flowers, the airy curtain (replace with a navy roman shade), and replace the wood seat on the toilet with white. Counter in a warm white.

I would try very hard to eliminate that medicine chest door on the wall. Either replace the door with something plain, painted out to match the walls, or mount a framed art piece on hinges and hang there.

• no_green_thumb
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for all of your help. I really appreciate it.
    And yes, Patricia, that wretched seat cover is already gone. As I said, I rarely even go in that bathroom as it is too yucky. My husband has no problem, can't figure out why I even want to redo it --- the shower works, the toilet works, the sinks work. Voila, complete bathroom.
    Anyway, I spent a better part of today looking at paint, tile, etc. There is no matching that green.

I did buy a few things, however. Please critique.
    I saw this drapery panel which I could turn into a shower curtain. I am thinking that maybe I will have a curtain over half of the shower doors and tie it back. I am thinking of putting a towel tree in the corner.
    This panel has a smidge of green in it. While not exactly the color of the tiles, there is so little of it, it might work.
    I think we are going to need to do another round of peel/stick tiles. The floor in there is already raised as we had to put a subfloor in before the last tiles and my husband refuses to take it out. I agree. Ceramic would raise everything at least another half inch with the backer board.
    I took a few pics of what I have seen so far. I think the floor tile might be too dark, as well as the countertop.
    We have decided not to replace the vanity as the ones we were looking at (the cheap ones) were well over $800. I am going to replace the leg on the current one with something chunkier. I am thinking if something like this could work, I could use dark plum, beige or green towels - depending on what I could find to match. Just some thoughts based on what I found today. I like the idea -- thanks for all the pictures Bellesouth and the ideas Les -- of keeping it clean and simple.
    The colors are probably off again. It is very cloudy here and I put a spotlight on to be able to take the pix.

{{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    On the strip of three, the one in the center looks best.
    On the strip with 4, the two bottom ones look best, I think.
    Now that I am looking at the green in the shower curtain on my monitor, I am thinking it is too sagey.
    But I figured I had to start somewhere. Thanks a lot.

• oceanna
    16 years ago

I didn't see this post before. Based just on your last picture here are a few colors that on my monitor looked the best.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Shower curtains aren't big-ticket items so I wouldn't let the shower curtain throw me. I'd worry more about the tile. Hope this helps some.

• no_green_thumb
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you, Oceanna. That is just what I needed. After all of the above suggestions, I went shopping, but I was looking for too much at one time --- I was looking for the "inspiration piece" as Matt and Sherri used to call it.
    I thought if I found a shower curtain, that would be my jumping off. BUT, now I realize, duh, that the inspiration is the tile. That is what I have to work with, because that is not moving anywhere. I didn't bump up the post after I posted my findings as I realized it wasn't even close, but then didn't know what to do with it --- which is what led me to post the "pick 3" --- I look at the posts here and see such beautiful rooms, and think why can't I find stuff like that?? It is very hard for me to visualize the end result. I do have a beautiful home, a few rooms just need some tweaking (well, and a few like the bathroom need a major overhall). Maybe it's just that I look at mine every day, and when I see someone else's, it is fresh and new.
    Anyway, enough whining. Saturday I am going to go to my paint/tile store and pick tile out there. She also has larger swatches of all BM paint, which is very helpful.
    Sometimes I just can't see the forest for the trees!!
    In my bedroom post, Les suggested that I move the chair from its current location to another wall. I did, put a floor lamp there and it's awesome there. My question then becomes, why didn't I think of that!!
    Thanks again to all who posted in this thread. I am excited!! HAGD

• maggiemuffin360
    16 years ago

Have you given any thought to painting the vanity itself - perhaps a warm white?
    Recently did that in our bathroom and am amazed at how it brightens up the room. I think our vanity was a similar wood to what you have.
    We actually ended up updating the fixtures, etc. etc. eventually - but that is another story - and it all started with painting the vanity!

• robnj_2006
    16 years ago

Have you looked at BM sag harbor or nantucket gray? It has green undertone, but will have a lot of contrast with your tile. I would try to stain the grout in the tile from white to soemthing more grey that will blend into the tile instead of frame it. (I think they have a product for this)Also, if you are really trying to make the bathroom more man oriented, I would go with a plain white shower curtain. Restoration makes a thick white one that has a check texture. As far as countertop and lighting goes, I would get something simple in chrome for the lighting to match the fixtures. I would also switch out the toilet seat and seat cover for plain white. This will definitely make a difference. Finally, you can switch out the hardware on the medicine cab, light switch, and vanity for something simple in satin nickel.

• limogique
    16 years ago

I think if this were my room that I would consider wallpaper on the walls. I would then use a plain curtain hung from the ceiling and tied back to soften the room. Paint the vanity a white color or cream as well as the trim. Use flooring to compliment the selected wall paper. Change out the lighting fixture to something that goes with the style of paper you choose. Or for a more masculine look sue darker cabinet and trim and a mannish style wall covering.

• no_green_thumb
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for yet some more ideas. Yes, I am contemplating painting the vanity. I was going to buy a new one, but now am thinking, why? The ones I looked at in the size I need were about $1,000 or more. I am going to get a new top and that may be it! --- I will also think about the grout. I have read that many times here, just never thought of it when it came to my own purpose. Limogique, I assume you are talking about a shower-type curtain. I have been thinking that and then eliminating the curtain on the window. Ideally, I would make a valence or something similar out of glass for the window. Privacy isn't an issue in that room.